1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Crossover parts came, I have questions

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Jonathan T, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Jonathan T

Jonathan T Second Unit

Ok, the parts I ordered from Solen came today and I have a few questions. First, the inductors, are they coated in anything that I need to strip off before I solder them? If so, what do I use to remove the coating? If not, can I just solder them using the same solder that I plan on using to solder the resistors and caps? Also, the inductors came with some length of wire out of wind with the rest of the inductor, does it matter if I just cut this wire to the minimum length I need to solder (after I solder naturally)?

Next question. I ordered metal oxide resistors, are they polarized? If so, which end is which?

Last question. I need perf boards, large ones. This is my very first DIY speaker project and I've never soldered anything other than a couple cheep radioshack resistors before. I need a large (and strong, these parts are heavy) board to place all the parts on. I'd still like to keep the cost down but what's the largest I can get and where do I find it?

Thanks!

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

The inductors will be coated so you'll need to sand off that coating before soldering. I used fine grit sand paper on mine. Not sure about the resistors but if they're polarized their should be a + and - on them to indicate which end is which. As for the perf board I just used 1/4 partical board and hot glued the components in place. Its not pretty but works fine and was cheap [​IMG]

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

You can also use a utility knife to scrape off the covering on the inductor leads.

Resistors aren't polarized, I usually orient them so I can read their printed values if they exist.

If you must use perforated board, Home Depot or Lowes should sell them in 2'x2' sizes, maybe 2'x4'.

4. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Are we all talking about the same perfboard here? I usually go to Radio Shack and pick up one of THESE. The holes help me lay out the components before soldering.

Otherwise I would think any thin piece of wood would do the trick.... just drill holes as you need them.

5. Jonathan T

Jonathan T Second Unit

Ok thanks for answering all my questions. As far as the perfboards go, The 6X8s probably aren't gonna work. I think I'm going to have to improvise here. Those of you that use particle board/wood/etc what do you put over the board to solder on? I'm asuming here that soldering right on to these substances isn't gonna work.

6. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Just go to Home Depot and by a 2'X4'section of 1/8" or 1/4" pegboard or Masonite. Cut the size pieces you need. Hot glue the parts to it and or use wire ties.

You don't solder to the board. Wire the individual components together and solder the connections.

Make something that looks sort of like this

[​IMG]

Or this

[​IMG]

7. Jonathan T

Jonathan T Second Unit

O, thank you! One thing though, how do you solder leads that are not mounted on a board? I think it would be somewhat difficult to just heat some leads and stick the solder on it without a flat surface for the solder to run onto.

8. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Twist the leads together and solder them. They don't need to be connected to the board.

Sometimes it's easier to use a piece of pretinned buss wire and attach multiple devices to it. Note that any thicker solid core copper wire can be tinned with solder to make buss wire. 12 or 14 gauge house wire is cheap and easy for this purpose

[​IMG]

9. Jonathan T

Jonathan T Second Unit

O, well thank you.

10. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I took ThomasW's advice on mine...
    [​IMG]

11. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Sounds like you've figured it out already... but what I do (when not using perfboard), is drill holes, poke the leads through, twist them together on the underside and solder. The twisting of the leads and solder help hold the components to the material. The only drawback is the leads underneath make for a poky underside.

I wish I had some nice pics like everyone else. [​IMG]

Ahh well, my crossovers don't look that nice