Crossover over at 100hz. Is this too high?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin. W, Apr 17, 2002.

1. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

I have a HT made up of:

Paradigm Mini Monitors:

On Axis (0°) ±2dB from 57Hz - 20kHz

Off Axis (30°) ±2dB from 57Hz - 18kHz

Paradigm CC-350:

On Axis ±2dB from 70Hz to 20kHz

Off Axis ±2dB from 70Hz to 18kHz

Paradigm PS-1000:

24Hz (DIN)*

My Marantz AV560U Pre/Pro crossover is 100hz and was wondering if this was too high. I was looking at getting a Paradigm X-30 to get the crossover down to 80 or 60hz. Good or bad idea?

Kevin

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

My HK is fixed at 100, and I wish it were lower, say 80-ish. But I have no problem with the 100 as far as localization, really. Maybe just a bit.

I'd like to hear the difference sometime.

- C

3. Steve_Ma

Steve_Ma Second Unit

Short Answer: I think you're fine.
    If you're interested in my soap-box....err, I mean long answer. Feel free to read on:
    IMHO, the 80 vs 100 crossover debate/issue is overstated.
    (He says taking off his glasses, resting the beer on the bar, and preparing for the onslaught).
    I spent the last month or so experimenting with various connection methods, x-overs and settings with my Marantz/B&W setup to get around my AVRs fixed 100hz x-over. My mains are pretty clean down to about 47/48hz and I wanted to try to tweak more out of them for music. I took measurements and listened at 60/70/80/and 90hz x-overs. After all was said and done, I ended up back at the 100hz x-over and LFE out connection because it gave me the flattest in room response. Truth be told, I had a difficult time audibly noticing a difference between a 60 and 100hz x-over, much less an 80/100 x-over. I could measure the difference and also hear some minor differences, but they were just that. Minor. I don't think anyone other than myself might have noticed the difference and I was really looking for it.
    Now, I'm sure much of this has to do with my room response. It's also possible that I have an unsophisticated ear, and this may account for my conclusions as well. On thing is certain. I DO NOT stress over my x-over being fixed at 100hz any longer. FWIW, I found this to be a very valuable experiment and it taught me alot about x-overs, my room response and bass mgt in general.
    --Steve

4. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

Much of what Steve has said is heresy, but I've made similar experiments having an adjustable crossover in my receiver and I have to agree.

5. ling_w

ling_w Second Unit

It all depends on how the sub integrates with your speakers.

You could try it in bass augmentation mode (main large, no sub. Sub connected with main out via Y-connector) and set the sub's crossover to wherever your mains roll off. You want to compare the two on source that is not deafening loud.

I have maggies and would never cross anywhere close to 100hz. I currently have the crossover set at 50hz, and that is many other maggie owners, too high.

6. John_Bilbrey

John_Bilbrey Stunt Coordinator

I noticed on my PB12 that if the xover was set at 100hz on the receiver that the sub sounded a little too boomy. I think that this was because I could hear male voices coming through on the sub. I switched it to 80 hz and this solved the problem.

7. KeithR

KeithR Second Unit

Agreed. If you have a bad sub, it will sound like crap. Consider a REL if you want any musicality/integration

8. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I have a Marantz SR6200 with the 100Hz x-over with Mini Monitors. While I wouldn't mind it a tad lower, I have no real issues with it.