What's new

Crossover guru's - could I make this work? (links to drivers) (1 Viewer)

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
Having 2, 8-ohm drivers together (making either a 4 or 16-ohm load I guess) and then having a 8-ohm tweeter in the mix?

The amp would be able to handle any sort of load I threw at it (other than maybe a half-dozen 15" woofers).

Two of these (or similar 8-ohm driver):

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=295-300

One of these (or similar tweeter):

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=276-152

Used for a 2-way MTM design.

I don't know enough (well, anything!) about crossover design to know about making this work. Just want to know if it is reasonably feasible.

Thanks!

Aaron Gilbert

Second Unit
Sure, that combination could absolutely work. I am using those very woofers in an MTM arrangement using the ApexJr shielded silk dome tweeter. I don't remember my crossover frequencies off the top of my head, but I do remember I needed quite a bit of underlap. That is, I started rolling the woofer off considerably below the point at which the tweeter rolls off. So, for example , the crossover point for the woofer was 2000 Hz and the tweeter was 4500 Hz. This is because of the large peak in the woofer response around 4500 Hz. Because of this peak, I find this woofer actually a bit more difficult to use than the 6.5" version of the same. But, other than the peak, the response is a bit smoother, and efficiency is better. Unfortunately, they both take about the same size box. Two of the 5.25" in a vented box, even tuned to 40 Hz, can handle a very surprising amount of power and low frequency energy. I've heard nothing but good things about that particular Audax tweeter, you should have no trouble with it. Good luck.

Aaron Gilbert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks