Crossover Gap

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Cameron Yee, Jul 15, 2004.

1. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I helped a friend set up his surround system last night and I want to make sure I haven't missed something.

He has the Infinity TSS750 speaker system, with satellites rated 120Hz at the low end. He has a Denon 1602 receiver, which does not have variable crossover and looks to be fixed at 80Hz. So there seems to be a frequency gap between 80 and 120. As far as I can tell there's no way to remedy this besides getting new speakers, right? Or a receiver with adjustable crossover?

2. DavidNighorn

DavidNighorn Stunt Coordinator

You have pretty much summed up your options. I would vote for better speakers. Experience (mine and other members') has shown that you get the biggest bang for the buck in upgrading speakers. An upgraded receiver will not give you a commeasurate increase in sound quality.

My $.02

David

3. Cameron Yee

Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    Well, he just bought the speaker system and it sounds good to him, so I may not bring it up for a little while. I have a feeling he 1) won't really care and/or 2) not notice.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    With a sub/satellite system, the sats are generally intended to be hooked up directly to the sub, not to the receiver, which is why they don't cover so low. The sub is then designed to handle more midrange than lows that the sats cannot reproduce, meaning it is not exactly a true sub, ala Bose. If you have the sats hooked directly to the receiver, you might want to rethink this with this setup.

If the sats are -3dB at 120Hz, you would not need a 120Hz x-over to make the system work, a 100Hz x-over would likely still be plenty, but an 80Hz x-over is probably quite low for them. The frequencies between 80Hz and 120Hz here are not completely "lost" because there is a blending based on the crossover point. The sub is probably fine, but the satellites, while still being fed this signal, will not accurately reproduce all the frequencies nearer to the x-over point. He may have a huge dip around 100hz, but most of the sounds are still there.

5. GregBe

GregBe Second Unit

John,

That is a great point that is often lost when discussing crossovers. We are all searching for ideals, but often need to make compromises. For me, I was always trying to ask questions here about perfect crossover solutions. If I took all the advice to the perfect degree, the only perfect solution for an 80 Hz crossover are mains that play down to 40 Hz. For a 100 Hz crossover, the mains need to play to 50 Hz. While that is great, and probably true, a system can sound terrific (although not perfect) with less than ideal crossover settings. When moving crossovers up or down and comparing, there are often only subtle differences that aren't usually worth scrapping an entire quality speaker system because the mains don't play down to the perfect point. Use the advice as guidelines and judge for yourself.

Greg

6. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

If his sub has an adjustable crossover, hook the main speakers to the sub. Set the sub's crossover at around 100-120hz. Set the front speakers to Large and the sub to No in the Denon. That will at least help with the front speaker. The center and rears will still use the Denon's 80hz crossover, and then the bass from them will be routed through the front speakers.

7. Cameron Yee

Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    The funny thing is the sub does have an adjustable crossover, but it is intended for use with receivers that don't have DD/DTS decoding (i.e. no LFE). There is a switch that toggles between "LFE" and "Normal" and only RCA inputs. So not an option to connect speakers to the sub.

8. Cameron Yee

Reviewer

Cameron Yee