1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Crossover Frequency Settings / Sub Settings (New to the board)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Fernand, Jul 4, 2002.

1. Fernand

Fernand Agent

Hi Everyone! Pleasure to meet all of you. Nice and very professional site!! [​IMG]
    I'm a entry level enthusiast who just bought a Sony STR-DE885 receiver (can't afford Onkyo or Denon [​IMG] ). I set up my speakers to small, so the lows can be sent to the subwoofer. When I did it the receiver add a crossover frequency setup. I need to know the optimal setting if I'm using a powered subwoofer (I don't need lows in the main speakers) My mains are three way timbre matched with the center (same brand and series - Sony SSMF500H the mains and SSCN-495H the center). The setup has a STD setting at 120Hz but I don't know if that's the optimal setting in my case that I have a powered subwoofer that can handle the lows. The frequency settings ranges from 40Hz to 200Hz. If anyone can help it will be greatly appreciated. If you need any additional info please let me know. Thanks in advance. [​IMG]

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Fernand,
    Welcome to the forum!
    The bad news is, there is no right answer to your question, but I can offer some tips which might help you:
    1) Most people (THX included) suggest a 80hz crossover point in the standard HT system. While I don't think you need to take this as a royal dictation, it is a good starting point.
    I think that whatever point you choose, you should be at 80hz or lower. The basic theory of bass is that it is directionless (in other words you can't tell where it is coming from) as long as it is below 80hz. Above that point and you start to be able to localize the sub- which is not ideal.
    2) Some of the factor in deciding on a crossover point will be dictated by your main speakers. Obviously, how good they are at reproducing bass will come into play in how much bass you send them.
    Some people with smaller bookshelf style main speakers, prefer a higher x-over, like 80hz. But guys with larger tower speakers, which can better handle bass info, usually opt to go lower- like 60 or even 40hz. Again- you might consult your speaker specs and see how they are rated.
    Although- don't take the specs as gospel- often they are fudged a bit- but the published specs are a good starting point in figuring this all out.
    3) Most importantly, use your ears. Sony is well regarded simply because they offer so many bass options (many processors don't offer any crossover point selection at all). This gives you an excellent opportunity to listen for your self and decide what you like the best.
    Many people find that they can get the best blending with Sony products-- and that variable crossover is a big part of that. My advice would be to play a round a little- try music material because this tends to be a bit more telling than movie material- and try each setting. You'll probably find the right answer for you with just a couple minutes of experimenting!
    Good Luck!
    -V
    PS: You might also find it useful to obtain a copy of Video Essentials or AVIA- which are calibration discs. Getting AVIA along with a Radio Shack SPL meter will help you in the process of getting the best out of your sub (and your system). When selecting your x-over point, it might be best if you had already calibrated each of your speakers using AVIA and a meter- chances are excellent that this will make your blending experiments all the more fruitful!

3. Fernand

Fernand Agent

Thanks to the Hollywood Knob Jockey for that superb kickstart!! [​IMG]

4. Fernand

Fernand Agent

Hi There!
    I posted this one here because I'm a noob and the Subwoofers area is far away from my question. :b
    I have a Sony SA-WM40 12" 120 watt amplified subwoofer. I have my main speakers set to small so the lows are sent to the sub. The sub have a Cut OFF Frequency setting knob. Which is the optimal Cut OFF Frequency setting for my sub?? The ranges is from 50Hz to 170Hz.
    BTW the Crossover frequency setting for the speakers will be about 80Hz (thanks to V the Knob Jockey for the info).
    Any help will be appreciated. [​IMG]

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    With your speakers set to small, the receiver is handling the crossover point, so set your sub to the maximum (170Hz) cutoff to avoid cascading the x-over. With an 80Hz x-over, the sub will still receive frequencies up to 160Hz, depending on the slope, though rolling off between 80 and 160.

6. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Fernand,

You can feel free to post related follow up questions to your original question in your original thread. No need to start another topic.

I have merged your two three four subwoofer related threads.

Like John said- when you use the x-over in your receiver- it will be filtering out all high freq info from the subwoofer send for you- so the knob on the subwoofer is redundant. Usually the best bet is to roll the subwoofers high cut all the way up to the highest freq, so you don't end of filtering the material twice and creating holes.

-Vince

7. Fernand

Fernand Agent

Oh Jeez!! Questions keep coming!!

Now that you helped me in the other two issues I have another one that I have forgotten. I set up the receiver to 80Hz in the crossover freq. setting and set the Cut Off freq to maximum (170Hz)in the subwoofer. Now the receiver asks me for the LFE High Cut Setting. It ranges from 40Hz to 200Hz too. I come again to the gurus: Which is the recommended setting?? Thanks Again!!! :b

8. Fernand

Fernand Agent

I set up the receiver to 80Hz in the crossover freq. setting and set the Cut Off freq to maximum (170Hz)in the subwoofer. Now the receiver asks me for the LFE High Cut Setting. It ranges from 40Hz to 200Hz too. I come again to the gurus: Which is the recommended setting?? Thanks Again!! :b

9. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Hmm, this "LFE low cut" sounds to me like a low pass filter for blocking out the higher harmonics in the LFE signal. If this is what is it, then you should set it to maximum.

10. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    OK, I probably should have asked more about your other speakers. I looked your mains up and they are good to 40Hz, in which case, my recommendation for x-over would be 80Hz. If you use an 80Hz x-over, that will allow them to cover and roll off at 40Hz. Again, with the 80Hz x-over, and your sub set to max, it should roll off around 160Hz and not have the built in x-over interfere.

11. Fernand

Fernand Agent

Thanks for the detailed info John! You're right. I appreciated it a lot. Could you help me out with the LFE High Cut Filter setting?? [​IMG]
    P.S. BTW... about the Phase Polarity... any suggestions???

12. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Understand that there are very few "right and wrong" answers on these controls. If the control setting had a "correct" position universal for every configuration- chances are the control would not exist.

This is the truth for phase control- the "right" position would be dictated by a host of facotrs unique to your situation.

My advice would be to:
    A) tinker with the setting and see if you can hear the difference. If you can't, well you have nothing to worry about.
    B) Pick up a test disk like AVIA which offers a phase tilt warble that is designed to find the "correct" setting for sub phase in your system.

-Vince

13. Fernand

Fernand Agent

The info the manual states is this:
    LFE High Cut Filter:
    Lets you select the cut off frequency of the LFE channel high filter. Normally, select "STD". When using a passive subwoofer powered by a separate power amplifier, it may be better to change the cut off frequency.
    Thanks for all your help and patience!! [​IMG]

14. Joe Meissner

Joe Meissner Stunt Coordinator

Fernand

I have the same center channel speaker as you and i found that it sounds 10 times better if you stuff it with poly-fil. I think it would improve your mains also. mine sounded kinda hollow and harsh. but now it sounds great. you dont want to stuff it to full but just enough to fill it up.

15. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

He means: fill it up, but don't cram it or pack it with poly-fil. If you cram it, then you have no room for air, and speakers need air.

16. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I'd set it to STD and leave it.

-Vince

17. Fernand

Fernand Agent

Thanks Joe for the info!!!
    BTW I did the polyfill mod with my Sony SA-WM40 subwoofer. I removed the driver and sticked polyfill to the walls with spray adhesive. It worked like a charm. So go for it if you have it. Great sub for its price.
    Can I do the same with the center channel??? You said it would improve my mains also... should I apply polyfill to the mains also or it's only the polyfill mod to the center that improve the sound of the mains?? Sorry for being so specific!! :b
    Thanks for the heads up Rory!! [​IMG]

18. Fernand

Fernand Agent

Thanks Vince!
    BTW I set it to 170Hz (the LFE High Cut Filter). The same as the Cut Off Freq knob in the subwoofer. Think I'm gonna set it to STD again.

19. Joe Meissner

i would add polyfil to the mains also. it made such a big improvement on the center it would have to do the same for the mains. just fill up the entire cabinet but dont over stuff them. its worth a shot and if it doesnt help, you can just take it out.

20. Joe Meissner

by the way i dont own the sony mains. i only have the same center speaker. I have older Design Acoustic speakers for my main and surround speakers. I only bought the sony to use until i could find a used DA center or build one that matches a little better. i hated the sony when i first hooked it up. but now im in no hurry to find what im looking for.