Crossover freq overlap?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MikeHalder, Feb 1, 2002.

1. MikeHalder

MikeHalder Stunt Coordinator

Through base management on my STR-DA7777ES I have my KLF-30 mains and my KLF-10 surrounds set to small @50hz and my LFE also @50hz. My question is will this create a 'sonic gap' at 50hz for those speakers?I remmember reading that at the x-over point there is a 3 db drop. If there is a 3 db drop at both the high pass and low pass filter (50hz), will that translate into a dip in the freq response or will the sum of the two outputs compensate at the 50hz x-over point? I hope I made sense in formatting this question
    [​IMG]
    TIA,
    Mike

2. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

In the curious thing that is dB arithmetic (also logarithmic arithmetic [​IMG] ), -3dB * 2 = X
    For instance, if your target is 75dB, 72dB + 72dB = 75dB.
    So the -3dB adds out to equal flat across the drivers.
    Regards,

3. ling_w

ling_w Second Unit

Doesn't the THX specification for subwoofer low pass have to be a L-R 24dB/oct crossover? If it is, then the cutoff point would be -6dB. I know if you summed it with an L-R high pass, you would get a accoustically flat response. But how would the response be if one followed the THX specification and used a 2nd order high pass, whose cutoff point is -3dB?

4. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Subwoofer crossover is 24dB L-R, the High Pass is 12dB, I don't recall if it's L-R or Butterworth.

Regards,