What's new

crossover freq on avr-8000 need help (1 Viewer)

Gregory Scott Bass

Stunt Coordinator
I am trying to understand exactly what setting to run my xover. You can set the speakers for small or large depending on whether full range or not...this supposedly sends the lower freqs to the sub if you select small....so what does the xover freq do....I have my sub output set to LR+lfe so I am sharing bass duties between my 2.9's and the sub.

please post suggestions where to set it..my choices are 40,60,80,100

Steve_Ma

Second Unit
Try the below links for more detail. The crossover frequency determines at what point the signal gets separated. Sending the really low (and difficult to reproduce) material to the sub which is designed to handle it best. The higher freqencies can then be better handled by the other speakers. Keep in mind (as the diagrams will show) a crossover is not a birck wall. They are gradual and sloping in nature.
As far as which crossover. I'd go with either 80 or 100. The best way to find out which is "better" is to try them both and run test tones through your system. See which crossover gives you the "flattest" response.
Link Removed
http://www.geocities.com/kierancoghlan/SPEAKERS1.html

Gregory Scott Bass

Stunt Coordinator
Thankyou Steve...I found these helpful...I still have some confusion but I think it is related to my particular set up....I somehow want to intermingle the large/small speaker settings with the xover settings and its just not registering why these are two seperate controls.

Steve_Ma

Second Unit
Anytime. Most AV Receivers implement the crossover on speakers with a “small” setting. When you tell the receiver that their speaker is “small” (regardless of it’s actual size), it tells the receiver that this speaker should not be getting a full-range signal and there is a sub to help it out. If you tell it that a certain speaker is “Large,” it will bypass the crossover altogether and send a full-range signal to that speaker.

It's all about personal preference, but... You probably do best to avoid mixing the speaker settings. Unless your main speakers are extrordinary in their ability to accurately handle a full range signal, I'd keep all your speakers set to small with the sub = yes. Any speaker set to "Large" will get a full range signal, which is very difficult to reproduce accurately. Even for really decent tower speakers.

Example: My main speakers are towers and are pretty darn good. But, when I set them to large, they start to distort because they are struggling trying to reproduce that difficult bass. The midrange also suffers as the drivers are working so hard on the bass.

Gregory Scott Bass

Stunt Coordinator
I use my speakers in a large mode because I have them bi wired and each has a respectable 10 inch sub(nht 2.9) which go down really low....can't remember the exact specs but its in the 20's plus I have a 10" snell sub that complements them nicely so I was happy that the hk let me select lr+lfe.
Just to clarify one more time...are you saying that the adjustment for the xover and the adjustment for small/large work together? for example if I put my center on small speaker setting then that tells the amp to redirect bass to the sub and by selecting the xover setting that just tells it below what freq to send to the sub.....am I thinking right now?

Steve_Ma

Second Unit
...adjustment for the xover and the adjustment for small/large work together? for example if I put my center on small speaker setting then that tells the amp to redirect bass to the sub and by selecting the xover setting that just tells it below what freq to send to the sub...
Yup, you're cetainly on the right track. As I mentioned before, crossovers and bass mgt in general are more complicated (and extremely interesting), but it sounds like you've got the basics.

Gregory Scott Bass

Stunt Coordinator
I definitely want to play with it some more now...I just found it interesting last night, logic 7 on the 8000 automatically sets your center to small so when I changed the crossover to 60 I thought I could detect a more pleasing dialog from it....I was just watching tv though and was just messing around at low volume levels....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks