Crossover for sub on receiver

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg Kolinski, Oct 26, 2002.

1. Greg Kolinski

Greg Kolinski Second Unit

which way is best to go,when both sub ,and receiver have crossover settings??how do you go about proper setup with 2 adjstments??

2. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Greg,

I think a little more information might be required to properly answer your question. The crossover setting that you apply on your receiver really depends on the satellite/bookshelf speakers that you are using. In some cases, 80 Hz would be the correct setting and 100 Hz in others. Could you provide a few more details about your equipment so this question can proberly be answered for you?

3. Greg Kolinski

Greg Kolinski Second Unit

Thanks Wayne,I wasnt very clear was I [​IMG] .What I meant was On my receiver on the speaker setting menu there is a setting for sub crossover 80-100-120. ,but on the rear of the sub woofer there is also a rotary knob for cross over setting.I am using AR TSW 510 speakers in front,and want to push most of the bass to the sub,so with internal receiver sub crossover AND setting control on the sub,do I set them both the same,?or does having 2 seperate controls in the circut confuse things???
    greg

4. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Why don't you set your crossover on your receiver to 100 Hz. Then, head for the crossover knob located on your subwoofer. Set it to its highest position (e.g. 150 Hz.) - this will prevent the crossover from working on your sub and the crossover control will be maintained by the receiver. I don't have the exact specs for your speakers at the moment. You'll have to see how much bass they're capable of producing and then adjust your crossover on your receiver accordingly.