Crossover for Sonosub?? I forgot about this!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike_Ped, Sep 11, 2001.

1. Mike_Ped

Mike_Ped Second Unit

Reminded by a recent post, I totally forgot about the crossover in the construction of the sonosub. I've been planning on using an external amp (around 700 Watts bridged) to power the Tempest driver (running parallel, 4 ohms). However, I need a crossover don't I?
    How the hell do I go about doing this?
    I have NO CLUE about this crossover thing, I mean I know what it does, but I've never put one in myself!
    Where do I get it? How much?
    HELP PLEASE...IM BEGGING HERE!!! Thanx guys!
    Mike

2. Mats Kellberg

You can always build your own, there are some good projects if you follow this link http://sound.westhost.com/projects.htm
    /Mats
    ------------------
    Mats Kellberg
    Subsonic - can't beat the feeling!

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Are you using the receiver's subwoofer output to feed the amp? If so, then you can just rely on the receiver's subwoofer's crossover point (some receivers offer flexible crossover points for the subwoofer output).
    If you add in an external crossover and set the crossover lower than the receiver's subwoofer crossover output, you may cause a gap in the low frequency response.
    ------------------
    PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; LDs

4. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

Like Patrick said, if you use a receiver that has sub out, you need no crossover at all. If you have stereo electronics, there are several options. You can use a subwoofer plate amp from madisound, adire or parts express (but it sounds like you already have an amp lined up). The Paradigm X-30 will do the job but run a little over $100. Marchand has high quality units with a kit option so save a little, but not cheap. http://www.marchandelec.com/
    If you can solder and want to stick with DIY, this is an option http://www.t-linespeakers.org/pomann/subwooferkit.htm
    Finally, radio shack has some crossovers designed for cars that will work fine for home- just need to come up with a clean 12V DC powersupply. They are under $50.
    [Edited last by Brian Fellmeth on September 11, 2001 at 09:04 AM]

5. Mike_Ped

Mike_Ped Second Unit

I have the Yamaha HTR-5460 and I am going to us the Subwoofer out to feed tha sub. However, I'm not sure if i have the sub crossover thing in the receiver. I'll have to check and get back to you guys.
    Thanx for the quick response!
    Mike

6. Brandon B

Brandon B Second Unit

Actually, the Marchand XM-1 is pretty cheap and would do what he wants.
    BB

7. Robin Smith

Robin Smith Stunt Coordinator

I don't know the specific receiver you are talking about but am pretty darn confident that if you are using the "subwoofer" out of your main receiver to feed the signal to the sub amp then you won't need a crossover as the maain receiver will onyl send out sub signals.
    The majority of HT receivers have this crossover built in. The.1 of the 5.1 audio standard is the subwoofer signal which is inherantly "crossed over" as in it is only the sub frequencies that get sent over that channel.
    Make sense?
    Robin

8. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

Mike= Found the manual for your receiver online. It crossover at 90 Hz, so as Robin said, you don't need a sub crossover.

9. Mike_Ped

Mike_Ped Second Unit

Thanks Brian...you really cleared this up for me!
    Mike