1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Crossover design

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Stasulos, Oct 4, 2002.

1. Stasulos

Stasulos Stunt Coordinator

I understand where the capacitors' and inductors' parameters come from (this link for example http://www.mhsoft.nl/spk_calc.asp#crossover), but how to calculate the resistors? How to understand where to put them?
    Can anybody give me some links to some advanced crossover designs please?

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

As long as both drivers are the same impedence rating, you shouldn't need any resistors.

If you are incorporating a resistor, it's usually to damp the driver a bit and would be wired in series with that driver.

IE: I have a 6 Ohm tweeter and an 8 Ohm woofer, I would wire a 2 Ohm resistor in series with the tweeter to make it an even 8 Ohms.

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Well, driver impedance is frequency-dependent, so you can't simply toss in an inline resistor on the lower rated driver to "raise" the overall impedance rating for the speaker.

Resistors are used for padding down the tweeter or midrange, and also for baffle step compensation to smooth out the woofer's output in 4 pi space. Also, resistors are used to tame peaks in a driver's response (notch filters).

Creating crossovers for a speaker system needs to address the overall response of the speaker and its drivers.

It's simple to pop in some textbook filters for the drivers (which may or may not allow the speaker to sound good), but to get the most out of the drivers, you'll need some measurement data and good crossover design though process or programs to optimize the crossover for a particular speaker design.

4. Greg Monfort

Greg Monfort Supporting Actor

Also, adding series resistance *reduces* damping since Qes increases. It's a common way to raise the Qt of a severely overdamped driver, such as is often used in prosound designs. Back to Filters 101, DP. [​IMG]
    WRT links, I don't recall ever seeing any that dig into filter design beyond either having an on-line calculator or publishing textbook filter formulas.
    GM