Crossover design help needed

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by BonnerK, Nov 20, 2005.

1. BonnerK

BonnerK Auditioning

Hello speaker gurus!

I'm building some multi-purpose speakers for my parents. It's a tight budget, but I'm still buying raw speakers and building the enclosures and crossovers myself.

I need help designing the crossovers, though. I have never done this before, and I can't screw it up! [​IMG]

The woofer:
    Parts Express Dayton Reference 295-364 (sorry, can't post URL)

The tweeter:
    Parts Express Tang Band Shielded 264-822

They'll go in a small (.7 cu ft) vented enclosure. These will play mostly music, but will be used in a small home theater as well (hence the shielded drivers).

I'm thinking of crossing these over at 2K, but I'm wondering if woofer mid-range breakup will be an issue?

If not, can someone suggest some crossover parts for me? I want just a 1st or 2nd-order setup, nothing fancy. They are not audiophiles, but they do appreciate clear music and voice.

Thanks very much!

2. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

I suggest you read this:

http://www.speakerbuilder.net/web_fi.../phat/hpif.htm

Then do some looking around at the meriad of budget 2 way designs out there. There are some good ones on that site and more can be found on the Madisound and Parts Express sites. With this route you won't have to worry about designing the crossover, just assembling it. I think you'll be much happier with the end result using an experienced designers crossover. Crossover design is very non trivial.

This is unless you're serious about learning how to design speakers. In which case I'd suggest you visist the DIY section here and/or the Mission Possible section of the Home Theater Guide forum. You'll also need access to some decent measurement equipment and software for modelling the networks involved.

3. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

Another good article on the Speakerbuilder.net site is about selection the optimum crossover frequency.

It's important though to recognize that a crossover doesn't just chop off a speaker's frequency response. It is a gradual transition. So if you set the crossover point just below a huge peak in the woofer's response, that peak is going to show up in the final response. A better way of dealing with peaks is with a notch filter. I recommend buying Vance Dickason's "The Loudspeaker Design Cookbook", available at Parts Express. It has lots of good information that you will need along the way in building your own loudspeakers.

I think DIY audio is seriously underappreciated. It really takes this home theater hobby to the next level.

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Bonner,

You’ll probably have better luck posting your question in our DIY and Advanced Projects Forum.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

5. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

Wayne .. Are you originally from Pflugerville?

Just a guess