Crossover at sub or through reveiver? Which is best??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin. W, Feb 7, 2002.

1. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

I was wondering if its better crossover at the sub or receiver? What are the adavantages of running speaker wire to the sub's speaker input then to the front speakers thus using the subs crossover. Compared to running the speaker wire to the mains, LFE to the sub and allowing the reveiver to do the crossover. Thanks

Kevin

2. Mark Austin

Mark Austin Supporting Actor

I don't know if there really is a better way between the two, just alternative methods.

3. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

One other question. If I run through my Sub first then to the speakers I would set my pre/pro to sub+mains?? This would then bypass the pre/pros crossover and I could use the sub? Reason I ask is my Marantz AV560U has a crossover of 100 and I would like to get it down set it at 80. Would I still keep my LFE hookup connected?

Kevin

4. Lee Bailey

Lee Bailey Second Unit

Lee Bailey
    Kevin, I'm not sure about the pre/pro stuff, but, generally, if you are going to run the sub through the front speaker channels, you need to configure your equipment for sub-NO, front speakers set to LARGE. This will pass ALL the low freqency and LFE information to the sub. Any other speakers that cannot handle the low stuff should also be set to SMALL.

The answer to your original question is, 'It depends on what component you want to control the xover', in your case, you do not have a variable crossover in your receiver, so the sub would be the best choice to control the crossover.