What's new

CrossGen Comics? (1 Viewer)

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
A couple of weeks ago, I had a chance to pop into a local comics store. Prominently displayed was a host of CrossGen comics.

The titles that really caught my eye were Sojourn, Scion, and Meridian.

Are there any CrossGen fans or detractors that can give me their impressions on these?

I also should say I am NOT a regular comics/reader or collector. I've always loved comic art, but never made it a habit to follow any stories or characters. One of the appealing things about CrossGen, for me, is that there aren't 4 different titles for a single character. While I am obviously behind in the stories, catching up doesn't seem as daunting as it would for X-Men or Batman.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I'm rapidly becoming a fan. I pick up Ruse, Route 666, The Negation, Way Of The Rat and the "non-CG Universe" title The Crossovers every month and enjoy the heck out of them. I avoided most of the others because they looked too much like sword & sorcery to me.

I can't think of anything bad to say about them - production values are high, they are always out on time, and the backstory is always available. Everything gets collected within about 6 months of the last issue of a storyline, and they're starting to put out "Traveller" editions, which have smaller pages but also collect 6-7 issues' worth for about $10. I might start picking up Meridian and Crux in that format. Plus there's their Comics On The Web initiative, which makes much of their back catalog readable online for $1/month.

Anyway - I like them. I wish more comics publishers would act like CrossGen (and Oni); they're a class act that produces good comics.

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
Sounds interesting. I casually looked at the "Way Of The Rat" one on the link you provided and it seemed intriguing.

I may have to pick one up.

Which is your favorite?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
"Way Of The Rat" and "The Negation", for different reasons. "Way Of The Rat" is like a Jackie Chan or Jet Li action movie, with a talking monkey, well choreographed martial arts, and much humor. "The Negation" is a big-ass space opera, sort of like what Farscape would be like if it really had the chance to cut loose. It also could have been really confusing, with references to other parts of the CGU like the First, Saurians, Atlanteans, etc., but it isn't.

(Indeed, that's something CrossGen does pretty well - each book stands alone, even though they all take place in the same millieu. It's not like Marvel or DC where everything is overly interconnected)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks