What's new

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Edward Dmytryk’s Crossfire works magnificently as both a film noir mystery and as a viable and necessary comment on bigotry and hate that merits further discussion.

Crossfire (1947)

Released: 15 Aug 1947
Rated: Approved
Runtime: 86 min

Director: Edward Dmytryk
Genre: Crime, Drama, Film-Noir, Mystery

Cast: Robert Young, Robert Mitchum, Robert Ryan, Gloria Grahame
Writer(s): John Paxton (screenplay), Richard Brooks (adapted from a novel by)

Plot: A man is murdered, apparently by one of a group of demobilized soldiers he met in a bar. But which one? And why?

IMDB rating: 7.3
MetaScore: N/A

Disc Information

Studio: Warner Brothers
Distributed By: Warner Archive
Video Resolution: 1080P/AVC...

Continue reading...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
A great film so I'm looking forward to my Blu-ray. With that said, I wish Eddie Muller did a commentary or even Imogen Sara Smith before Silver and Ursini, who I found boring lately with their commentaries. Anyhow, thanks for the fine review.:)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Amazon just sent me an email that my BD won't arrive until some time in April.:laugh:
Argh! I'm sorry. It's really a beautiful transfer. You'll get it eventually, and you're sure to enjoy it. I also agree about the commentary. The two guys are OK, but I'd rather have heard Eddie for the length of the film.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I've never found anything wrong with "Robert Young’s excessively lengthy climactic monologue" although many other people have complained that it's a preachy author's message. I love this film and I'll be upgrading to the Blu-ray disc even though the DVD is pretty good.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Argh! I'm sorry. It's really a beautiful transfer. You'll get it eventually, and you're sure to enjoy it. I also agree about the commentary. The two guys are OK, but I'd rather have heard Eddie for the length of the film.
It's all good as I have so many movies and show to watch in the meantime, I can be patient enough to eventually watch this great looking Blu-ray.:)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Thanks for the fine review, Matt. I am glad to read that Warner Archive has done its usual excellent job with the transfer. I will definitely be picking this up down the road as an upgrade to the DVD. It's a terrific film with a great cast.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I finally watched my BD and I concur with this review about the video presentation of this disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks