Cross-post: black level problem with Dish

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul W, May 17, 2001.

1. Paul W

Paul W Second Unit

I have a Toshiba TW56 connected to Dish6000 with the 65deg HTDV dish and 8VSB as well.
    The local HD channels and SHO HD and HBO HD are fine as far as black levels are concerned.
    However, when I view the std Dish channels, there is a problem with the blackest blacks. They are dark grey. The not-so-black-black are actually darker.
    As a result, I get a wierd solarize effect on dark scenes (especially on people with dark hair).
    Has anyone else seen this?
    ------------------
    [​IMG] Paul Warren
    Hey fella . . . I bet you're still livin' in your parent's cellar . . . downloading pictures of Sarah Michelle Gellar . . . and posting "Me too!" like some brain-dead AOL-er . . . I should do the world a favor and cap ya' like Old Yeller . . . you're just about as useless as MPEGs [sic] to Hellen Keller.

2. Ken Stuart

Ken Stuart Second Unit

Actually, I've heard that Buffy is one of the more intelligent programs on TV.
    PS Have you tried Dish Tech Support?

3. Paul W

Paul W Second Unit

I dont want to slam tech support, but I wanted to throw this question out to folks who might know what the heck is going on and to see if more people werre suffering the same fate as myself.

4. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Compression has a big impact on black levels - with all the programming crammed into a limited bandwidth this is a necessary evil (although I would like to see them dump a bunch of channels and free up bandwidth). That aside don't expect the picture settings to be the same for SD and HD. They're completely different animals. I don't know which model year Toshiba you own - if it's a new H series then you could utilize the separate picture memories: one for HD through component and one for SD through a video input. You'll get the best of both worlds both in picture settings as well as image quality (I have found that upsampled SD looks soft compared to straight 480i through S-Video).
    ------------------
    [email protected]
    My Home Theatre Pictures...
    "You're no mesiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."