Cross foruming... Dealer drops man's prized 'vette!!

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Adam.Heckman, Jun 14, 2004.

1. Adam.Heckman

Adam.Heckman Second Unit

2. Adam.Heckman

Adam.Heckman Second Unit

Long story short on this one...

Guy brings in his '97 Corvette for it's 40k mile tune up and the dealer drops his car 6 feet.

The dealer claims that the damage is minor (however pictures show a cracked frame), tells him not to contact his insurance, and they'll have it back to him "as good as new" in a few weeks. The man protests and calls his insurance. The dealer refuses to replace the car. He says that he'll give the man 12 grand towards a new one when the blue book on his vette is about 30. Insurance says the the 'minor' repairs would tally 10 grand and therefore totaling the car was out. What would you do if a dealership dropped your prize vette 6 feet and wouldn't make the situation right?!?!

The guy tells this corvette forum about it, and they rally behind him, calling the dealership, emailing the dealership, and theatening to picket out front.

Last friday it had 400 posts and 50000 views. I read every post. The support shown by the 'vette forum and the two dozen other forums that heard about this was amazing.

3. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Doesn't the post say it's a '97 not a 91?

That stinks though. How much for a nice bodykit on a C5, the guy could take the $12k and put that towards some classy bodywork rather than spend money on lawyers and stuff.

Jay

4. Adam.Heckman

Adam.Heckman Second Unit

Doh! You're right. Changed my post. Unfortunately if he takes the 12k then he can't sue AND he's out 18k, cause the car is worth 30 now.

The damage was WAY more than just body damage. Can't find the pictures now, but if I can I'll post 'em.

5. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I couldn't find the pictures in the 35 some-odd pages of posts. A 6ft fall would seem be very hard on the frame and chassis, especially when everything is probably aluminum or a composite on a performance car like a corvette. I bet my sister's old '71 Torino would of probably just put a hole in the floor!

Jay

6. Darren Davis

Darren Davis Stunt Coordinator

There are pics on page 3 except they're attached and require membership to view them.

7. Adam.Heckman

Adam.Heckman Second Unit

The body is all fiberglass. And, desipite corvette fans pleas, the body is still NOT aluminum. It was one of those lifts that grab from above, so when it fell the 'claws' came up through the wheel wells. Ouch.

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...res#post388759

pictures ^
    Most of the damage is to the frame, cross member, oil pan, and rear transaxle as far as anyone can tell.

I don't know how to post the pics 'in thread'. Sorry.

8. Keith M.

Keith M. Second Unit

This makes me sick...

I am the proud owner of a Corvette Z06. I can feel his pain, the dealerships and service centers for chevrolet suck!!! This is the main reason I probably wont be buying another vette, btw, this is my second one...[​IMG]

Something similar happened to a friend of mine who owns a 3 series bmw, and they actually replaced the car and offered him free service for the life of the car.

9. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

Can't view the pics without being a memember [​IMG]

10. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

What a moron. After all that advice he got he agreed to either take the car from the dealer after it is "fixed", or take a $17.3k check from the dealer.

At the very least he should have gotten the car totalled out by his insurance company. He agreed to the worst possible offer on the table. The car was worth quite a bit more than the $17.3k the dealer offered.

Even if he was getting it fixed he should have taken it to another shop not in cahoots with the dealer...

11. Philip_T

Philip_T Supporting Actor

I would have told the dealer "you broke, you bought it". I too was suprised when I read that he gave them the ok to fix it. Hopefully it works out ok for him in the end, but I cant see how that car would ever be the same again especially when you figure in all of the creeks and moans that will register now from a car dropped 6 ft. Who knows what all got damaged or loosened up. I love how the manager and owner told him it would be very hard to track down a similar car to replace it with. I would have said fine, I'll spare you the trouble, give me blue book for my car and I'll go find one myself. Regardless, tough break for the guy. Sounds like my kinda luck.

12. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

What I don't get is he didn't have to say yes. Everyone told him he was going to get screwed if he did it and he did it anyway after saying he wasn't going to. I just don't get it.

13. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

One way to get to auto dealers is to threaten to open a claim with the local BBB. BBB is actually pretty darn good at getting B&M establishments to clena up their act and play fair, plus if they threaten to pull their BBB membership it's like death to a reputable dealership. That's the route I would go anyway...

14. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

The BBB is are a bunch of paid shills. They funded by contributions by the same people you're filing complaints against. Now do you really think they're working in your best interest?

15. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

having seen the BBB from the business owner side, it's a waste of time.
    That much money on the table, he should have consulted a lawyer.
    The dealer tried, and was able to strong arm him into taking what THEY wanted to give.

16. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

"Even if he was getting it fixed he should have taken it to another shop not in cahoots with the dealer..."

Get it towed to another GM dealership the their dollar and see what they say. It may be tough to stop dealerships from talking, but with all the websupport I'd be suprised if they lowball at the new dealership too.

"when you figure in all of the creeks and moans that will register now "

Just a heads up, until the current bodyshape I've heard that Corvettes always has excessive creaks and moans.

This little fall may actually help[​IMG]

B

17. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

"Even if he was getting it fixed he should have taken it to another shop not in cahoots with the dealer..."

Get it towed to another GM dealership the their dollar and see what they say. It may be tough to stop dealerships from talking, but with all the websupport I'd be suprised if they lowball at the new dealership too.

"when you figure in all of the creeks and moans that will register now "

Just a heads up, until the current bodyshape I've heard that Corvettes always has excessive creaks and moans.

This little fall may actually help[​IMG]

B

18. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

The '97 is the current generation (C5) and no, the C5 is not prone to excessive creaks and moans. Just another bit of misinformation being spread from someone who's probably never owned a Corvette.

I've followed this incident since it first happened through the Corvette Forum. I'm especially interested in it because I own a Corvette and live in the SF Bay Area. The owner of the Corvette ended up doing exactly what the dealership wanted. He should've followed the advice given to him and immediately hired a lawyer to handle it. I remember a similar incident happening to a Corvette Forum member a while back. That person immediately hired a lawyer and ended up with a new Corvette.

19. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

The '97 is the current generation (C5) and no, the C5 is not prone to excessive creaks and moans. Just another bit of misinformation being spread from someone who's probably never owned a Corvette.

I've followed this incident since it first happened through the Corvette Forum. I'm especially interested in it because I own a Corvette and live in the SF Bay Area. The owner of the Corvette ended up doing exactly what the dealership wanted. He should've followed the advice given to him and immediately hired a lawyer to handle it. I remember a similar incident happening to a Corvette Forum member a while back. That person immediately hired a lawyer and ended up with a new Corvette.

20. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

You don't think there are bodyshops that aren't own by dealers that he could have had the car towed to that will have done a better job fixing the car?