What's new

Cropping issue in 4:3 mode... (1 Viewer)

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
I bought a Hitachi 42PD6600 a few weeks ago and after using the DVE disc I'm very happy with it, except for one small issue I've found which I'm hoping someone can help me with.

I watch a lot of 1.33:1 content & I like to see movies in there original aspect ratio (I don't like stretching the image to fill the screen), so I watch that stuff with the gray bars on the side of the image.

Anyway, I was watching a 1.33:1 film and I paused it, then I messed around with the display settings and to my shock the "stretch" mode actually revealed more picture on the top & bottom of the image, meaning that the 4:3 mode was cropping the picture information on the top & bottom.

Anyone else noticed this on there plasmas or know what the cause of this may be?

I've taken two images of my set to show you exactly what I mean (I've included URLs to the images because they're huge). It shows my TV playing the DVD "Dial M For Murder" which is a 1.33:1 film.

This first picture is of my TV on 4:3 / Auto mode, which SHOULD be giving me the full picture, allow me to draw your attention to the letters "PRS" underneath the "Dial M For Murder" logo -- they're chopped in half, only half of those letters are shown in the frame.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b...es/Image100.jpg

This next picture is of my TV in 4:3 / Full mode, meaning it's stretching the 1.33:1 film to fill my screen, allow me to again draw your attention to the letters "PRS" which can now be completely seen underneath the "Dial M For Murder" logo -- the complete letters "PRS" can now be seen, now compare that to the shot above.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b...es/Image101.jpg

There's also some cropping issues on the top of the frame, in 4:3 / Auto mode the letters "JKL" are very slightly cropped but in Full / Auto mode they're more visible.

Another question I have is: do 1.33:1 ratio films on DVD have an area of picture around the border that's not supposed to be seen on screen? It's very doubtful but never say never & all that...

Anyway, any help from the experts would be great :emoji_thumbsup:

Mark Techer

Agent
I don't think that your links work, but my 16:9 projector does the same thing that you have just described...

Mark

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
Sorry about that Mark, here are my images:

Maybe it's because it's a widescreen set it can't show the entire 1.33:1 image so it has to crop, it is only very slight but it's definitely there.

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
I've had a quick flick through the manual and there doesn't seem to be any feature that allows you to change the width & height. There's not even a "nudge" function to movie the picture even slightly.

Mark Techer

Agent
I really only noticed it with mine with some text and then found that I could shift the height, but there is some compromise to be made because there is no setting for vertical squeeze - which would be helpful seeing how I am now using an anamorphic lens to obtain a 2.35:1 constant height setup...

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks