1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Cropped or Widened? - widescreen games...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ian C, Dec 8, 2002.

1. Ian C

Ian C Stunt Coordinator

I'm considering a new TV in the next few months when we get a house. I'm debating widescreen vs. 4:3.

Here's my question...Are games with widescreen options actually widened or are the tops and bottoms cropped and the icons/health bars moved? If they are just cropped, I would probably lean towards getting a 4:3 TV. However, if there is actually more game area (if you actually see more) then I would probably go widescreen.

The videogame aspect would likely sway my decision either way, as I seem to use my TV most for gaming and the rest half/half for DVDs/broadcast.

Thanks,
    Ian

2. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Generally if a game has a widescreen option, there is more game area on the screen. However, the number of games that support widescreen are still in the minority.

-Dave

3. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Go with a 4:3 especially if you game, for the same price as a widescreen you can get a 4:3 that offers the same widescreen area and alot more 4:3 area, then if it is a hdtv you can put it in squeeze mode and pay in widescreen if you like.

I have GTA VC and i pay that in 4:3 mode all the time, i tried the widescreen, but there wasent much of a difference so i opted for the bigger screen.