What's new

Cronenberg's Best Work (1 Viewer)

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
I would have to say the great team-up of Cronenberg, Stephen King, and Christopher Walken for the Dead Zone: one of the greatest movies I'm ever likely to see.

Close second: his portrayal of Dr. Decker in Clive Barker's Night Breed. Why? Because David Cronenberg is a genuinely creepy individual. SERIOUSLY

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I want to name some of his true "classics" but for some reason I keep going back to eXistenZ, that movie has really stuck in my mind.....fittingly so, eh?

Luc D

Second Unit
Dead Ringers, by far. One of his most subtle, more personal films, I also tend to think that it's his most frightening. This film stayed with me a long time after I saw it.

I like The Dead Zone too, but it's the least "Cronenbergian" of all his films because he was no doubt handcuffed by the narrative.

Mitty

Supporting Actor
Dead Ringers.
But, his remake of The Fly is terrific, as is The Dead Zone.
Acting-wise, he gave a small but terrific performance in Don McKellar's end-of-the-world story Last Night.
He really is one of a kind; a true talent.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
The Fly is my favorite Cronenberg film, and I also like The Dead Zone quite a bit.
Videodrome and eXistenZ make a good double bill, with the latter being basically an 90's update on Videodrome.
Long Live The New Flesh!

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I don't really see eXistenZ as a "update" to Videodrome as much as it is an extension of the idea/metaphor of Media as addiction and as a quasi-religion with all the fanaticism that goes with it. This wasn't exactly a "new" idea with Videodrome either, see Network and many short stories before it.
It was the world that he created for eXistenZ that really captivated me. Classic Cronenberg IMHO, familiar yet alien, normal yet perverse, a living nightmare & Freudian to the Max. It definitely has it's roots in Videodrome (and others) but to me it went forward with the metaphor and took a few newer swipes at Internet addiction among other topics.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Tough question. I think The Dead Zone is absolutely fantastic, but The Fly may be my overall favorite. Dead Ringers is gorgeous.
Videodrome is way creepy, and The Brood is gooey fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks