What's new

Cromwell (1970) / Reviews? (1 Viewer)

Chuck Wood

Grip
Sergio, I'm no "reviewer", but I have this disc and will offer some brief comments. This disc is quite good, the print element is in very good condition with excellent color saturation. There are a few specks and what not since no digital clean up was employed, but I expect the transfers to reproduce the theatrical experience. Contrast is dead on, with a nice crisp image.
There is even a Dolby Surround soundtrack, which I didn't expect. Apparently there was a four channel mag stripe mix for the larger venues. It is not as bold as I would like, but it aint bad at all.
The film is basically a "cliff notes" version of the English civil war with a truly great performance by Alec Guinness as Charles the First and a robust one from Richard Harris as Oliver Cromwell. The production values are most impressive- a lot of British pounds were spent on this. The film ages quite well, and I found myself enjoying it much more this time around. Hope that helps.

StevenFC

Second Unit
I was actually thinking about starting a thread about it myself. But I wasn't sure anyone would give a hoot. It's good to know that I'm not alone in my admiration for this film. I didn't even realize it had been released until I happened to see it on the shelf at Laser's Edge. Luckily I was returning a DVD that I had found cheaper elsewhere, so I just exchanged it for "Cromwell". For some reason I thought it was due out in November.

Anyway, I thought it looked pretty good also. It's about what I expected. The opening credit sequence was the worst looking part of the film. And there was a slight flicker or pulsating effect pretty much through the entire film. But I didn't really find it distracting at all. Chuck's right about the colors. They do look good. There are specks and the little white dots that I guess all older films are going to have. I thought the black levels were most impressive. To my mind this DVD didn't have a digital appearance at all. A little cleaning might have made it an excellent DVD--and I'm disappointed that it wasn't given the full treatment. But I'm a realist--there was no way that they were going to spend major bucks on "Cromwell", so I'm really surprised that it looks as good as it does. I don't think you'll be unhappy.

Sound wise I usually use my headphones to listen to my DVDs, so I can't really comment on it fully. But it sounded good in my headphones. Although I did notice some dialogue coming out of one side. I'm not sure if that's an soundtrack error or not. It was just a little disconcerting is all. I do love the music in this film by the way. Very dramatic.

I'm not a reviewer either, so take this review with a grain of salt. But I think you'll be happy. But forget about extras. Aside for some trailers from other films--zippo.

Sergio

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sergio Perez-More
Thanks StevenFC for the review.

This month:

- Lion King: Platinum Edition
- Fargo: Special Edition
- The Aventures of Robin Hood
- Cromwell
- The Treasure of The Sierra Madre
- Matrix Reloaded
- Le Cercle Rouge (The Red Circle): Criterion Collection
- Indiana Jones Trilogy (Widescreen)
- The Sopranos: The Complete Fourth Season

Heavy month.

Can't wait.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I saw Cromwell theatrically but cannot remember whether it was road shown with Overture and Intermission etc. Does the DVD have an intermission and overture music?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks