Critique My Speaker Choices

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Jeremy B., Jan 18, 2004.

  1. Jeremy B.

    Jeremy B. Stunt Coordinator

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2002
    Messages:
    50
    Likes Received:
    0
    I would like for any of you HT gurus out there to please critique my speaker choices. Before I even begin I want to add that I chose Klipsch because I liked the "brighter" sound of them vs other speakers I have had a chance to demo (Paradigm, Definitive, Infinity, JBL, Bose *rolls eyes*, Sony). This is going into a room that measures 15' across (tv will be on this wall) by 18' long. I will set facing the 15' wall. Behind me where I set it is completely open into the kitchen, 15' across, and there is another opening along the 18' wall that is roughly 12'. I am taking a hard look at (have no purchased yet) the following:

    Klipsch RC-25 Center
    Klipsch RF-15 Fronts
    Klipsch RS-25 Rears
    Paradigm 12' sub (Forget model #, was in the $450 range at a B&M store)
    Harmon Kardon 230 Receiver

    Given the above mentioned setup going into the room that I described, do you think I will want "more" for my first HT setup. It will be used about 90% of the time for tv/movies and the other 10% for gaming/music listening mix. I appreciate any and all input!

    Thanks!
     
  2. gregD

    gregD Second Unit

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2003
    Messages:
    420
    Likes Received:
    0
  3. Jeremy B.

    Jeremy B. Stunt Coordinator

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2002
    Messages:
    50
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thanks for the links. I spent some time on the SVS page last night, and it seems to be an extremely nice product. I just hate buying something before I have a chance to hear it.
     
  4. John S

    John S Producer

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2003
    Messages:
    5,460
    Likes Received:
    0
    Klipsch and H/K are good matches from my experiences.

    And if you going to spend $450 on a sub, make sure you at least try to listen to a Velodyne CHT-15...


    Against that Paradigm sub, I'd for sure go with the 15" Velo...
     
  5. Shane Martin

    Shane Martin Producer

    Joined:
    Sep 26, 1999
    Messages:
    6,017
    Likes Received:
    0
    Speaker wise I think you did fine, Subwoofer wise I would disagree with your choice and go with an offering from HSU or SVS or Adire. Subwoofers really aren't that Subjective IMHO.
     
  6. Jeremy B.

    Jeremy B. Stunt Coordinator

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2002
    Messages:
    50
    Likes Received:
    0
    Here is the deal...........the speaker system will be purchased and set up for a good 3 or 4 months before I can afford a sub. Would I be better off to spend $549 for an svs sub and just have to wait on it? Or do you think I could get something in the $200-$300 range and be happy with it for the size of room I have?
     
  7. Dan Halchak

    Dan Halchak Stunt Coordinator

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2003
    Messages:
    195
    Likes Received:
    0
    I would HIGHLY consider waiting for the SVS sub. You would probably be happy with the lower end, but it would be nagging you in the back of your mind if you had gotten the better one. Besides, you can demo the SVS in your house without any worries, if you don't like it send it back for a full refund.

    I was like you worried about buying something on "blind faith." and without hearing it. But trust me, these people on here are right. You should have no fears purchasing one...especially if you start talking with Ron & Tom, they are great guys and you will definitely appreciate the product they produce. They definitely go along with the "Small shop" mentallity that has long been gone in corporate America.
     
  8. Jeremy B.

    Jeremy B. Stunt Coordinator

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2002
    Messages:
    50
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hmm.....I checked this out on the HSU page tonight. Do you guys think I would want more than what this sub would be capable of? http://www.hsustore.com/stf2.html
     
  9. Stephen Hopkins

    Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2002
    Messages:
    2,598
    Likes Received:
    0
    The STF-2 is one of the better performers in the price range, but the Adire Rava would be my choice at $400. A tried and true driver (Shiva) w/ a clean 250 watts pushing it will provide much more output and extension than most any 10" driver out there.

    If you decide the STF-2 is the way you want to go, and you have a CompUSA nearby, you can probably still pick one up for $350 and not pay shipping.
     
  10. Donnie Eldridge

    Donnie Eldridge Supporting Actor

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2001
    Messages:
    761
    Likes Received:
    0
    This is all that should matter and the only opinion that counts.
     

Share This Page