What's new

Critique my HT system please. (1 Viewer)

jnl67

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim
New to the forum. I am looking to upgrade and give a face lift to my HT system.
Most of my system predates the HD revolution and is a mixed bag of equipment.

Receiver - Marantz SR-7500
TV - Sony KP-53V90
Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300 = Cablevision
Sirius - SR-H550
DVD - Sony DVP-NS300
Playstation 2
Monster Power HTS3500

Speakers:
Left & Right - Cerwin Vega AT-10

Center - RCA HTS5000

Surround - Homebuilt w/crossover 3 speaker cabinets
Pioneer FD66AP45-13F 2-1/2" Cone Tweeter
Pioneer FB12EU14-51F 5-1/4" Poly Cone Mid Range
Goldwood GW-10PC-40-4 10" Heavy Duty Woofer

Subwoofers - Y configured Sony SS-MSP1 & Sony SA-WM250

All feedback is welcome.
Thanks,
J

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I could list numerous things I would change but if you are happy with the system then that is what matters. Welcome to the forum.

-Robert

jnl67

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim
Please do list them. I am looking for ideas as i am somewhat unfulfilled with the system i have thus far.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Your front 3 speakers are not timbre matched. Not only should they be from the same company, they should be from the same line of speakers. The best option is to have the same speakers all the way around.

Your Monster power thingy. I'm not familiar with it but the rest of Monster's products are overpriced. You already have it so be careful with other Monster purchases in the future.

Your DIY speakers don't use drivers that DIYers would consider good. Did you build a custom crossover or use one of the pre-made ones? A fully custom crossover would get the best from those speakers but it would require testing hardware and software.

It is usually not recommended to use different subs in a system. Different tuning and phase can cause issues with the way bass is distributed throughout the room. One good sub is usually recommended. If you need more than one, get two or more of the same kind.

You didn't mention calibration. No matter what equipment you use, you should calibrate everything. Minimum calibration should use a Radio Shack SPL meter and a DVD from Avia or Video Essentials. I have never used one on my or my friend's or family's systems and not seen an improvement. Calibration can get more complex as you get more involved with this hobby. Just read, ask questions and learn.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babarrun
Recent bookmarks