What's new

Your thoughts on Kino-Lorber Blu-rays (6 Viewers)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I stopped buying Twilight Time releases a couple of years ago due to the inflated pricing that gets insane with our crummy Canadian exchange.

I feel bad for you people in Canada with regards to the current exchange rate, but it wasn't too long ago that the situation was in your favor. Things change....what can you do?

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Every indy label out there has a preferred genre or era in filmmaking that they primarily stick to and Kino is no exception. Code Red specializes in obscure rarities and cult films, Blue Underground is obsessed with Jess Franco movies, Grindhouse Releasing is a home for sleazy drive-in fare and Arrow Video, despite it's varied catalog and occasional wander into Euro arthouse, I suspect is secretly in love with Gialli , slasher and horror films in general. Kino only occasionally dips their toes into the world of B -to Z -grade cult and horror territory but, when they do, they do it fairly well. I suspect movies like The Pit or Savage Weekend don't do particularly well for them but their efforts are greatly appreciated by myself and fans of these types of films. They go above and beyond in their presentation of these films and I, for one, am very happy with their work. My only wish is I'd like to see a bit more of these types of films, particularly from the 1975-89 time period. Other than that, Kino is one of my favorite companies out there.

English Patient

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joseph
Kino is at the top of my list as well. They put out 2 of my favorite movies, The Onion Field and Burnt Offerings, and they did a great job with both. Kino has a really nice eclectic catalog, releasing stuff for just about every taste - horror, drama, action, foreign, silents, etc. I was extremely impressed with Burnt Offerings - a well-done transfer and a LOT of extras, including 2 commentaries. It was a surprising amount of special features for a movie that wasn't a box office hit or a critical darling.

FrancisP

Screenwriter
Coming April 25th!
First Time on DVD and Blu-ray!
Newly Mastered in HD from a Paramount 4K Scan!

This was a 4k scan done by Paramount? I know some of the Paramount titles that were released by Warner had very poor masters. Hatari comes to mind.

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
This was a 4k scan done by Paramount? I know some of the Paramount titles that were released by Warner had very poor masters. Hatari comes to mind.

What has one got to do with the other? Paramount has also released some beautiful Blu-rays.

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
★★★★★ out of ★★★★★ for HD video and audio quality "Fans have a lot to be happy for with this Blu-ray release from Kino Lorber. Not only do you get both cuts of the film, but both versions arrive with exceptional A/V presentations. If only every movie could get this sort of restoration treatment collectors would be having a field day. Toss on a solid assortment of bonus features and you've got a Blu-ray set that makes 'One Million Years B.C.' well worth owning. Highly recommended. " - Matthew Hartman, High-Def Digest

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/32728/onemillionyearsbc.html

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Here's another rave review:

http://www.slantmagazine.com/dvd/review/the-sicilian-clan

sicilianclanbr__article-hero-1130x430.jpg

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
Misterlime,

I didn't know where to ask this question, so I decided to put it here.

There's been quite a bit of controversy over the Amazon/Disney/Warner feud lately. A Disney-biased source says that it's Amazon's fault.

I'm curious to know your opinion on Amazon as a retailer of your products. Are they reasonable? Fair? Difficult to deal with?

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Misterlime,

I didn't know where to ask this question, so I decided to put it here.

There's been quite a bit of controversy over the Amazon/Disney/Warner feud lately. A Disney-biased source says that it's Amazon's fault.

I'm curious to know your opinion on Amazon as a retailer of your products. Are they reasonable? Fair? Difficult to deal with?

I cannot get into what I think of them without getting in trouble. I don't think the sales department would be too happy with this :)

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
MisterLime,
is Microcosmos coming from a new 2k/4k scan?
it looks like it judging from the screenshots and its grain structure and warmer color palette.

deepscan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JP
Just heard about the upcoming CORONET BLUE series coming to DVD, and hopefully soon blu ray (no pun intended). This is one of the most overlooked shows in the CBS library, not just because it's a one season show, but the fact that even the title of the show is a MacGuffin. Having seen clips of this show, I can tell you it never had a chance to explain what Coronet Blue really was, let alone a resolution. There have been many series in TV history whose plot lines were never resolved (one particular forgotten show from the '80s, HOT PURSUIT, comes to mind---and it was an NBC show done at a time when the Peacock network was at a ratings slump).

Yes, there has been a lot written about BLUE on the Internet. I can guarantee you this, MisterLime. If BLUE were made today, I can promise you the secret, as well as the premise, would be explained to us in the very opening prologue.

I am glad to see BLUE finally come to video, thanks to you and CBS.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
There's no denying that Kino Lorber has stepped up to the plate of late. Their transfer quality, on the whole, has greatly improved (a lot of vintage getting 4K transfers, albeit in 1080p...I'm okay with that) and the extras they feature generally mirror previously released extras made available to them from the company sourcing the print master (aka - Fox Blu-ray extras via Kino mirror and more often than not, duplicate extras Fox included on their DVD releases of the same titles). So, this idea that Kino isn't including extras is pretty much false. They are. Looking forward to Kino going after some more high profile Fox catalog. It would be nice to see them give us a 4K remastered to Blu of the Julie Andrews musical - Star! and also Doctor Doolittle with Rex Harrison. Also, if they could get their hands on some of Fox's vintage musicals: Springtime in the Rockies, Week-end in Havana, Down Argentine Way, The Dolly Sisters, etc. I think there'd be another reason to get excited.

Too many high profile classics remain MIA on Blu-ray while a lot of the B-grade and occasionally C-grade stuff is getting pushed to the head of the line. The Warner Archive's recent spate of Blu's like From Hell it Came, World Without End, and, Valley of Gwangi have left me rather flat. REALLY?!?! This stuff ahead of Now Voyager, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, High Society, San Francisco, Marie Antoinette, Around the World in Eighty Days?!?! REALLY?!?!? But I digress. This is a Kino thread, and personally, I couldn't be happier with what they've put together for 2017 so far. Very much looking forward to my Farewell to Arms, and, Broken Arrow discs, just shipped today from Amazon.com. Keep the deep catalog 'big' titles coming, Kino.

Okay, in a perfect world I would have preferred to see their release of Hitchcock's Lifeboat get another meticulous pass through some advanced digital restoration to clean up the excessive water/mold damage that continues to plague the image throughout, but hey - limited budget/limited resources. Grateful to have Lifeboat on Blu, even if the quality overall falls short of expectations. It'll never look perfect, but it could have looked better!

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
I am only minutes in to watching "INVISIBLE GHOST", and already I am hearing excessive noise gating on the soundtrack.' Noise gating' is an audio tool which, when set at excessive levels like it is here, removes surface noise, atmosphere, room tone, and any music or effects that happens to be at that level. Dialog normally survives but you can here it occasionally struggling to remain clear. I compare the effect to audio sinking in quicksand.
Whoever is responsible for this, I wish they would actually listen to the soundtrack when applying this tool. I thought we had heard the last of it but it has returned with a vengeance.
I can understand the age and condition of this 1941 track, but any audio technician with any kind of knowledge should be able to find a compromise.
Lastly, please don't tell me that the original 1941 mixers are responsible for what we are hearing.

Last edited:

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
I watched The Invisible Ghost last night with headphones, and I didn't have any issues with it. The last Kino release whose soundtrack bothered me was Bird of Paradise. I haven't had any issues since.

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
I watched The Invisible Ghost last night with headphones, and I didn't have any issues with it. The last Kino release whose soundtrack bothered me was Bird of Paradise. I haven't had any issues since.

Well, I envy you. It's better when you don't notice these problems!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks