1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Critical discussion Thread: Your thoughts on Kino-Lorber Blu-rays

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jan 7, 2015.

Tags:
  1. MisterLime

MisterLime Insider
    Insider

Scott
    Great line from a great movie.

Flashgear likes this.
  2. Will Krupp

Will Krupp Cinematographer

Will
  3. GregoryMesh

GregoryMesh Supporting Actor

Gregory Mesh
    It was moved here by admin from the announcements thread.

Will Krupp likes this.
  4. Will Krupp

Will Krupp Cinematographer

Will
    aahhh....makes MUCH more sense now!

5. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

You should add number 3.) Many of the cult and forgotten classics Kino are picking up with only average masters are not going to have expensive restorations done by the studio or anyone else the cost would be a guaranteed loss. So yes there are a few Kino releases with less than desirable transfers but the choice is either get this improvement on the DVD or stick with the DVD.
    I personally appreciate that Kino is willing to release lots of cult, western and other forgotten films that would likely not be released. So I can overlook transfers that are sometimes not stellar. But Kino has also released lots of great looking transfers.

Rodney, Flashgear and atfree like this.
  6. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Yeah. When I moved the posts from the other thread, things got a little confused. The posts were originally in the "announcements" thread.

ahollis likes this.
  7. J. Casey

J. Casey Second Unit

Jason
    Personally, Kino has become the #1 label for me of late.....about 80% of my ordered titles. This has a lot to do with what titles I'm interested in, which obviously correlate to what they're choosing to offer. Now, with more of the major studios involved (Fox, Paramount), I'm sure the scales are going to tip further in their favor (from the standpoint of this customer). The extras are nice touches and I want to see them continue, but I'm ultimately interested in the films themselves. I have to say that the new audio commentaries have been VERY nice, especially on the horror and sci-fi titles.

Flashgear, atfree and Thomas T like this.
  8. Everett S.

Everett S. Movie King (formally a projectionist)

Everett
    Do you have On The Town ? Technicolor not restored, same as on TCM !!!

9. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    You know what, you're right. The two that were specifically sticking in my craw that I was thinking of when posting are actually produced by a competitor. My apologies for painting your company with the same paintbrush. Your releases are still pricey for the most part in Canada, but I shouldn't of stated them as bare bones.

10. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor
    Supporter

Allen
    I was confused also and almost posted the same question until I was reading the Kino thread and read the posts were moved.

11. atfree

atfree Producer

Alex
    Thanks Tony.....but if you're reading these posts from a device other than a PC, profile info is not apparent, just name and avatar.

12. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    Tony Bensley said:
    I agree with you except for two things:

1. I don't believe that Nick*Z. was specifically referring to Canadian pricing in his original post (As he did subsequently!), but rather cited the $29.95 retail pricing as too high to justify Twilight Time purchases from his own standpoint. Based on my own first hand, I can say it sometimes becomes a bit exhausting always going into the specifics regarding how and why Canadian residents so often have little to no access to many of the awesome deals that are more readily available in the U.S.

2. Nick*Z's profile clearly indicates that he is in Canada (Not everyone's profiles include their resident country as part of their location!). As such, there's no mistaking that he is an International customer.

CHEERS! :)
    Hi Alex!

You make a fair case regarding my second point. I do stand by my first, however.

Tony

13. Flashgear

Flashgear Screenwriter

Randall
    I pre-order the majority of my Kino-Lorber purchases...obviously they are giving me a multitude of desirable films in great presentations, and I'm almost out of my head in excitement for what they have coming...but I've also picked up a boatload of their older releases during their much appreciated Amazon sale events...I'm in Canada, and actually got many at below typical U.S. discounted retail prices...people need to be vigilant for those sales...but I'm happy to pay the release day prices for my most wanted, of which their are many...these guys are filling up my shelves with great stuff...nothing but Love for Kino-Lorber!

14. larryKR

larryKR Stunt Coordinator

If Amazon Canada has had a Kino Lorber sale in the past year, I've missed it. I would like to buy "Deadline USA" and "The Ox-Bow Incident" but I haven't yet because of the price. Both titles are $34.99 each as I post this at Amazon Canada and when you add taxes they come to $39.54 each for me, and that's with free shipping. Twilight Time Blu-rays are even more expensive in Canada. My most recent Twilight Time purchase was "Tony Rome/Lady in Cement" which was $54.30.

15. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    I have a handful of titles saved in my cart and the pricing never changes aside from a buck or two either way. Olive are the same. The only company that gets periodic sales to a reasonable price is Shout/Scream. That said, Their Bill & TEd release is currently $44.99 so they're certainly not except from the crazy Canadian pricing on new releases. Criterion's are mostly bonkers too, but with the 50% sale at B&N, even with the crummy exchange I can justify purchasing them.

I stopped buying Twilight Time releases a couple of years ago due to the inflated pricing that gets insane with our crummy Canadian exchange. Seeing at least two of the titles I did purchase now coming out as regular releases at a reasonable price, I wish I would of waited.

Anyway, I'll keep them in my cart and keep track of the pricing and hope they hit a reasonable price I can pull the trigger on, though I doubt there's much demand for Fritz Lang silent movies on amazon.ca. :(

Tony Bensley likes this.
  16. Worth

Worth Producer

Nick Dobbs
    Canadian pricing is ridiculous. It's actually often cheaper to import from Amazon UK than it is to buy locally or from the US site. If you want the blu-ray of Akira Kurosawa's Dreams, for example, it will cost you $37.09 from amazon.ca, $51.10 from amazon.com, or $31.44 from amazon UK.

Tony Bensley likes this.
  17. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    To be fair, we Canucks aren't the only ones that have to jump through hoops to get affordable pricing, although it does at times seem that we have to jump through more than our share of them, especially compared to our American friends. That's just the way it is. Our current crappy rate of exchange is an aspect that nobody can control, unfortunately!

To keep this post somewhat on topic, I'll add that the recent "Buster Keaton 1917-1923 Short Subjects" Blu-ray set by Kino-Lorber is one that I've reluctantly passed on due to Amazon.ca's ridiculous (In my opinion!) pricing!

Flashgear likes this.
  18. Race Bannon

Race Bannon Supporting Actor

Jay
    I've been quite pleased with the movies that have been made available through Kino Lorber. For the most part, I've found the viewing quality acceptable. I've often been a little let down by the minimal extras.

I'd think it a good idea to get a staff expert to team up with someone and do a commentary on almost every release. The "Nick Redmond" of Kino Lorber. I've got three or four great Robert Mitchum films, and they have almost no extras.

Extras are the one thing they could do to provide a distinctive Kino Lorber experience, without having the control of the transfer (which they can't help).

Flashgear and JoHud like this.
  19. Message #159 of 316 Sep 16, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
    Flashgear

Flashgear Screenwriter

Randall
    I went back into my history on Amazon.ca...The last Kino-Lorber sale on Amazon (both Canada and USA) was last year...these blu-ray's I purchased from April 4 to August 12, 2015...they announced the sale here on HTF and who knows when they might do another...these are the prices I paid, all in CANADIAN dollars...

Man with the X-Ray Eyes...$15.99
    Witness for the Prosecution...$13.49
    Billion Dollar Brain...$13.99
    Russians are Coming...$13.99
    Last Embrace...$13.99
    Separate Tables...$13.99
    On the Beach...$12.99
    Harry in your Pocket...$12.99
    Breakheart Pass...$12.49
    Elmer Gantry...$12.49
    The Party...$11.99
    Topkapi...$10.49
    Mckenzie Break...$9.49

At the time I made these buys, Amazon Canada was often beating Amazon.com by 20% or more...especially when I did the currency exchange calculation...and sometimes, there is no explanation for the effect that their automated pricing algorithms have on any given day...

larryKR and Randy Korstick like this.
  20. Robin9

Robin9 Producer

Robin
    I watched Fuzz this evening. This was the first time I've seen this film properly since it was first released. It's still an uneven and misjudged film, veering uncomfortably between comedy and drama. I'd forgotten how small Raquel Welch's part was.

Kino Lorber's disc is excellent with very clear visuals and sound. If my memory is correct, this is how the film looked when I first saw it all those years ago. My hearing is not as good as it used to be, but I noticed easily that Dinah Shore's absolutely superb rendition of I'll Be Seeing You over the end credits was an old recording. I didn't notice that the first time I saw this film when my hearing was still pretty good.