Critical discussion Thread: Your thoughts on Kino-Lorber Blu-rays

dpippel

HTF Premium Member
Premium
Reaction score
Real Name
Doug
No, sorry. It's probably with whoever also controls Quatermass II, X the Unknown, Devil Rides Out, Rasputin, The Reptile, etc. Might be Millennium, but they're apparently kaput.
Well, we've seen a couple of those titles get Region B Blu-ray releases (The Reptile for example) by StudioCanal. Maybe there's hope for something similar to happen with Snowman. Thanks for the info.

Last edited:

Peter Apruzzese

Producer
Reaction score
Website
Www.bigscreenclassics.com
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese

lark144

Supporting Actor
Premium
Reaction score
Real Name
mark gross
Not to be picky but THE HEIRESS I think was originally produced by Paramount & is now controlled by Universal...but since Universal seems to be restoring & releasing catalogue titles at a healthy clip all of a sudden, here's hopin' ...as a good quality Blu-ray of THE HEIRESS is something I would really like to own.

Also, LIFEBOAT has been available for a while in region B from Masters of Cinema which I highly recommend if one is Region Free, not only for the quality of the black & white image, but also for Bill Krohn's take on the film which is in itself worth the price of admission.

Steve...O

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Steve
Question for Mr Lime: there are some great Fox titles already released and in the pipeline. Unfortunately Ox Bow, Deadline USA & Zorro are all reported to exclude SDH. Why are these being excluded? Fox's other partners include SDH on their BDs and Fox has the data files from the DVD releases. I fear Kino is losing sales over a needless omission.

Reactions: Frank M

J. Casey

Second Unit
Reaction score
Real Name
Jason
Just got CHANDU THE MAGICIAN in on blu-ray....looks great, especially considering its vintage. It has reversible cover art, one side with the Fox DVD release artwork and the other with vintage artwork (?poster detail). All extras from the Fox DVD ported over. Great work Kino Lorber!

Reactions: aPhil

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Website
nixpixdvdmoviereviewsandmore.blogspot.ca
Real Name
NICK
The only problem I have with KL is that overall they are more interested in quantity than quality. Yes, they are at the mercy of the company providing the transfer, and yes, they are merely third party distributors like TT; but I for one would hope for more 'better looking' deep catalog, than merely to say, hey - it's out on disc so snap it up. Have to say I was not at all impressed with KL's recent Daddy Long Legs Blu...faded colors, low contrast, some residual softness and no oomph in its overall visuals. Is it better than the DVD? Marginally, but that ought never be the barometer by which we measure a Blu-ray release. By the very increase in bit rate, the image has to be better than the DVD - or rather, should be. But a crummy effort on the studio holding the rights is not a great trade off for getting 'more' back catalog in hi-def.

Personally, I would have preferred the initial Criterion/Fox alliance that gave us such gorgeous remasters as It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, and The Innocents to KL's 'happy to act as the purveyor/distributor of base-level mastering efforts, sold at a comparative premium to both Criterion releases and Warner Archive. Bottom line: KL's hit or miss philosophy on achieving optimal quality does not compare AT ALL to either of the aforementioned. Personally, I have spent more this year on Warner Archive and Criterion releases than KL - not because there isn't a ton of stuff that I want from KL, but rather, because at $29.99 plus tax, I am never entirely certain what I am going to get for my money. With Warner and Criterion I can always be assured they've done their utmost to satisfy my level of expectations for good solidly remastered archival classics, looking brighter, crisper, more colorful and infinitely more visually refined in all regards than I have EVER seen them looking before. Such efforts are well deserving of my hard earned money. How about yours?

Carcosa

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
Real Name
Robert Barr
I have yet to pay $29.00 plus tax for anything from Kino. That's the usual list price when announced. I'm perfectly happy with the average of $13-$15 per title I've been paying.

Regarding Daddy Long Legs, the esteemed Robert A Harris called the release "a quality affair", being more concerned with typos on the insert text,..so hey, what can I say?

Being multi-region, I will say that I have seen a few releases where there have been counterparts to Kino's US releases and find them to be identical...just my two cents.

Last edited:
Reactions: Flashgear

Peter Apruzzese

Producer
Reaction score
Website
Www.bigscreenclassics.com
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Personally, I would have preferred the initial Criterion/Fox alliance that gave us such gorgeous remasters as It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, and The Innocents to
What did Fox have to do with remastering MGM/UA's "Its a Mad Mad mad Mad World"?

atfree

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Alex
No problem here with KLSC titles. Sure, I've been disappointed with a few releases due to picture quality issues, but they only release what the studio provides. And if you think a studio is going to do any expensive restoration work on some of these deep-catalog titles you're sadly mistaken. Sad to say, most of the titles KLSC (or TT for that matter) wouldn't see the light of day on BD if not for these licensing agreements. It's either take it or leave it. Generally, I'll take it.

As for pricing, anyone who pays $29 for a KLSC titles is a terrible shopper. All my Amazon pre-orders on KLSC titles drop to $16-17 by release day, and I'm sure most other online retailers have them at a discount as well. I think the only BD's I pay full MSRP for are TT titles because I have no other choice (unless I wait for a sale).

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Website
nixpixdvdmoviereviewsandmore.blogspot.ca
Real Name
NICK
No, actually in Canada, KL titles retail for $29.99 at HMV, Cinema One and most any other video retailer I have shopped at. Yes, Amazon.com has some great 'savings' for U.S. consumers. If you shop from Canada using .com instead of .ca you pay the U.S. price - sounds great, until you factor in customs, shipping and handling and, of course, the horrific conversion of funds from U.S. to Canadian dollars. And just so we're on the same page, folks: Daddy Long Legs on Amazon.ca is currently retailing for $32.99 - before taxes; with shipping and taxes factored in, this catalog title is going for $42.90: so, so much for cheap KL titles this side of the pond. So, Travis R and atfree - please do your homework before you suggest my inferences and shopping methodologies are flawed!!!

Reactions: Russell G

atfree

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Alex
No, actually in Canada, KL titles retail for $29.99 at HMV, Cinema One and most any other video retailer I have shopped at. Yes, Amazon.com has some great 'savings' for U.S. consumers. If you shop from Canada using .com instead of .ca you pay the U.S. price - sounds great, until you factor in customs, shipping and handling and, of course, the horrific conversion of funds from U.S. to Canadian dollars. And just so we're on the same page, folks: Daddy Long Legs on Amazon.ca is currently retailing for $32.99 - before taxes; with shipping and taxes factored in, this catalog title is going for $42.90: so, so much for cheap KL titles this side of the pond. So, Travis R and atfree - please do your homework before you suggest my inferences and shopping methodologies are flawed!!!
Then you should reference that you're referring to Canadian pricing when you post. Unless we're in the International section, I always assume people are referencing US pricing unless noted otherwise.

Tony Bensley

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Anthony
Then you should reference that you're referring to Canadian pricing when you post. Unless we're in the International section, I always assume people are referencing US pricing unless noted otherwise.
I agree with you except for two things:

1. I don't believe that Nick*Z. was specifically referring to Canadian pricing in his original post (As he did subsequently!), but rather cited the $29.95 retail pricing as too high to justify Twilight Time purchases from his own standpoint. Based on my own first hand, I can say it sometimes becomes a bit exhausting always going into the specifics regarding how and why Canadian residents so often have little to no access to many of the awesome deals that are more readily available in the U.S.

2. Nick*Z's profile clearly indicates that he is in Canada (Not everyone's profiles include their resident country as part of their location!). As such, there's no mistaking that he is an International customer.

CHEERS! :)

Reactions: Flashgear

MisterLime

Insider
Insider
Reaction score
Real Name
Scott
Well said Nick. Barebones KL titles retail nearly the same as feature packed Arrow and Criterion titles in Canada. No thanks.
How many extras do we have to do before people stop making false comments about our releases. Yes, some are barebones, but we've also won the Saturn Award for the Best Classic Films Blu-ray Release for 2 years in a row for The Quatermass Xperiment and Miracle Mile - not Arrow and not Criterion. More than half of our releases include extras, most of them newly produced and some are loaded with extras. We don't charge $39.95 and $49.95 for our special editions, all our titles are available at the same price, and usually can be found for around $15 on Amazon and other sites.

We've re-mastered dozens of our MGM releases, so we don't just get whatever the studios give us. Sometimes we do and sometimes not and in some cases we're not allowed to create new masters since the original studio needs to oversee all their new transfers. We also don't take credit for transfers done by our partners, like the ones CBS, MGM and Fox have done for us.

This is just a few of the KL Studio Classics we've re-mastered, besides these we've also remastered and restored hundreds of other titles under our Kino Lorber and Kino Classics banners: The Emerald Forest, Madhouse, Miracle Mile, Storm Fear, Big House USA, He Ran All the Way, Beware! The Blob, War-GOds of the Deep, House of the Long Shadows, Busting, The Destructors, The Satan Bug, Burnt Offerings, The Oblong Box, The Hurricane, A Child is Waiting, The Devil's Disciple, Twice-Told Tales, The Fourth War, Highway to Hell, After the Fox, Donovan's Brain, The Black Sleep, Journey to the Seventh Planet, Panic in Year Zero, The Holcroft Covenant, The Magnetic Monster, 99 River Street, Shield For Murder, Roland and Rattfink cartoons, Tijuana Toads cartoons, Whoever Slew Auntie Roo?, Invisible Invaders, Five Miles to Midnight, Haunted Honeymoon, Fuzz, The Pit and dozens of others.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kanchibrneha