What's new

Your thoughts on Kino-Lorber Blu-rays (4 Viewers)

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Richard Gallagher said:
It depends upon the title. Kino Lorber will include extras if they are provided by the studio, but they aren't producing their own. I just looked at seven Kino Lorber Blu-rays. Four have extras, three do not.
Still better than Olive not giving you anything even if the dvd did have extras.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I watched the Kino Lorber disc of Report To The Commissioner last night. I saw this film when it first came out and was mildly impressed. The print I saw was muddy with poor definition. KL's Blu-ray disc provides a much better presentation of this rather unusual movie, and I recommend this disc to anyone who enjoys a cops and robbers film that departs from the conventional approach to this kind of material. I enjoyed the film last night far more than I did when I first saw it.

The disc includes the trailer and English language sub-titles.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Mr. Lime, I need a quick answer. Just played my BD of "House of 1000 Dolls" and in almost every scene when there is a sound of a car, it sounds like a jet airplane. This is the only BD/SD movie I have ever heard this type of sound on. You can see what I play BDs/SDs on and just had my HT audio calibrated last month.

Does Kino Lorber know about this and if they do, are they giving replacement discs?

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
A nice line up and the presentation is mostly okay (thought the titles they put out that were licensed by Arrow in the UK pale in the extras department, to the point of selling different versions of a movie as separate releases instead of as an all in one.) My main problem is in Canada I mostly can't afford them. They're priced in line with Criterion, Arrow and other specialty companies, but they just aren't the same quality/value so despite my interest, I can't justify the purchase. (Same with Olive which I find are of lesser quality than Kino.)

As a result, I have to be very selective and even then I have to wait for a really good sale- which is very rare.

I understand that most of these issues are due to licensing and currency exchange beyond Kino's control, but it is what it is.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Not when you factor in shipping to Canada, they're about $30-35us. On amazon.ca it's rare to find them under $25cdn, which is too much for me when it's bare bones. Something like Nosferatu is $43 cdn.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
In descending order of the larger Awesome Studios of Schlock, I'd have to go:

* Shout!/Scream! - great prices, great extras, wonderful selection

* K/L - A pretty solid selection of schlock, reasonably good prices (especially if you hit the amazon sale), badly needs work on extras

* Olive - Not a bad selection, extras are wanting, prices need some work

* Twilight Time - Sorry, homie don't play that limited edition 30 dollar price crap.

So Kino isnt bad, but there's still a LOT of room for improvement in my book.

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
Hi Scott/MrLime,

Great to hear your recent announcements of various silent films (Diary of a Lost Girl, Everest, Fantomas, Faust and Tabu), but can you tell us anything about how they've been transferred? As has been discussed here and in many other forums and reviews, the Kino 2013 reissue BD and DVD of Nosferatu was badly botched, resulting in the loss of much of the actual film. From my own review:

Sound film and 1080p Blu-rays run at 24 frames per second (fps) and most silent films run between 16–22fps. Nosferatu’s optimum running speed is 18fps, so to slow it down Eureka simply repeated/doubled every third frame, giving a pattern or ‘pulldown’ like this: 112 112 112... In motion, this formula is undetectable to most people... In the case of [Kino's] Nosferatu the pulldown is 12121230 12121230. So they repeat every other frame twice, then the seventh frame three times. ...they’ve then eliminated every eighth frame. This results in the complete loss of over 11% of Nosferatu’s frames. The final outcome is that visible motion jitter, a juddery, stutter-like effect, is introduced throughout and a goodly chunk of the actual film is gone. The restorer’s job wholly undone.

So far Kino have refused to acknowledge any error, let alone initiate a recall and replacement programme. They've been the same too, for disclosing info on subsequent transfers. I'm not alone in avoiding Kino's silents since then, especially where the same title is available from another label, like Eureka. Can you supply any info that would help restore faith?

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
John Sparks said:
Mr. Lime, I need a quick answer. Just played my BD of "House of 1000 Dolls" and in almost every scene when there is a sound of a car, it sounds like a jet airplane. This is the only BD/SD movie I have ever heard this type of sound on. You can see what I play BDs/SDs on and just had my HT audio calibrated last month.

Does Kino Lorber know about this and if they do, are they giving replacement discs?

...still waiting for an answer!

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
Have to agree with Russell above. The cost of the Kino blu-rays in Canada is a little out of whack. I would like THE HURRICANE, but not at almost $39 on Amazon.ca, or the THE REIVERS, but it too is about $38 Add 13 per cent tax and it becomes a..."No, I don't think so".

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
GlennF said:
Have to agree with Russell above. The cost of the Kino blu-rays in Canada is a little out of whack. I would like THE HURRICANE, but not at almost $39 on Amazon.ca, or the THE REIVERS, but it too is about $38 Add 13 per cent tax and it becomes a..."No, I don't think so".
Can't you order from Kino's site? If so, it might be cheaper.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Robert Crawford said:
Can't you order from Kino's site? If so, it might be cheaper.

Not with currency exchange and international shipping, sadly. You might save a couple bucks depending on the title.

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
John Sparks said:

I saw this a while back and decided not respond, but I see you reposted it. I'm not sure what you're asking us to do here, do you want us to go back and create new sound/sound effects for the film, so the scenes in question sounds more like they are in a car. This was how the sound was edited when this low budget feature was made. I did not notice anything sounding like jet planes when I watched it a year ago, but you did.

No we will not be sending any replacement discs, since there nothing wrong with the current discs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks