What's new

Your thoughts on Kino-Lorber Blu-rays (3 Viewers)

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Posted on another forum, a message from Kino on Facebook:

Dear valued Kino Lorber customer,

We are currently in the process of obtaining a new master of the OUTER LIMITS episode “Soldier” which has slightly distorted audio during ten minutes of the episode. We will be repressing this disc so that future pressings of THE OUTER LIMITS Season Two will have the corrected audio. If you have purchased a disc with the problematic audio and would like to receive a replacement, please do the following:

1) Send an e-mail to [email protected]

2) Write “OUTER LIMITS Recall” in the Subject Line

3) In the body of the e-mail, provide your name and mailing address; and indicate whether you purchased the DVD or Blu-ray edition.

It will likely be early 2019 when the replacement discs are mailed (due to the manufacturing slow-down during the holiday season).

Thank you for your understanding and your continued support of Kino Lorber Studio Classics.

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
This was posted in another thread here with indications it came from the Kino Facebook page. I'm asking if it's legit as the email address doesn't match anything on the Kino site:

Dear valued Kino Lorber customer,

We are currently in the process of obtaining a new master of the OUTER LIMITS episode “Soldier” which has slightly distorted audio during ten minutes of the episode. We will be repressing this disc so that future pressings of THE OUTER LIMITS Season Two will have the corrected audio. If you have purchased a disc with the problematic audio and would like to receive a replacement, please do the following:

1) Send an e-mail to [email protected]

2) Write “OUTER LIMITS Recall” in the Subject Line

3) In the body of the e-mail, provide your name and mailing address; and indicate whether you purchased the DVD or Blu-ray edition.

It will likely be early 2019 when the replacement discs are mailed (due to the manufacturing slow-down during the holiday season).

Thank you for your understanding and your continued support of Kino Lorber Studio Classics.
Thanks!

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
DVDBeaver just posted screencaps of Foxfire (1955). It looks like somebody took a DNR scrubrush to the master Universal sent to Kino. Detail has been significantly reduced and doesn't look like the detail I would expect from a high-definition source. It may be the best we ever get for this title, but I'm going to pass on it.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
DVDBeaver just posted screencaps of Foxfire (1955). It looks like somebody took a DNR scrubrush to the master Universal sent to Kino. Detail has been significantly reduced and doesn't look like the detail I would expect from a high-definition source. It may be the best we ever get for this title, but I'm going to pass on it.
Are you really telling us that you take DVD Beaver's screencaps seriously?

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
From Beaver's review:

"As Kat Ellinger reminds us in the commentary - Foxfire was shot in Technicolor (3-strip)"

Umm, no it wasn't.

EDIT: As Revgen points out below via his link to Eastman House, I was incorrect. For some reason I thought it was 1952 for the final 3-strip.

Last edited:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
What do you mean by "seriously"?
In this context I mean with such trust and respect that you base your purchasing decisions on his screen caps rather than on the opinions of people who have watched the disc.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I watched it this past week and thought it looked great. There are some registration errors mainly on the right side that could be due to shrinkage of the camera negatives but it’s beautifully sharp with rich color saturation.

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
In this context I mean with such trust and respect that you base your purchasing decisions on his screen caps rather than on the opinions of people who have watched the disc.

When it comes to DNR video processing, screencaps have always been a reliable indicator for me. More reliable than personal reviews with no screencaps. I'm particularly sensitive to any DNR or "grain management" as others call it.

Vegas 1

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alvin Kuenster
I watched it this past week and thought it looked great. There are some registration errors mainly on the right side that could be due to shrinkage of the camera negatives but it’s beautifully sharp with rich color saturation.
Watched this a couple of weeks ago I agree looked very good to me, did not really notice any registration errors just enjoyed the film.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
When it comes to DNR video processing, screencaps have always been a reliable indicator for me. More reliable than personal reviews with no screencaps. I'm particularly sensitive to any DNR or "grain management" as others call it.

Hi Dan, thanks for pointing this out, for some reason it ended up on one of my to buy lists but looking at the caps at both DVDbeaver and blu-ray.com I am quite shocked at how artificial it looks, just have a look at this cap:
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/202/foxfire_blu-ray_/large/large_foxfire_06_blu-ray_.jpg

I would expect that this heavy handed "grain management" has been done at Universal and not by Kino but in any case it is so sad to see this on title ofter title from Universal. I could write more but what puropose would it serve as the damage has already been done, I just hope that Universal does not work like that any more.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I continue to be shocked by those who rely on screen caps as to the quality of a blu ray transfer. The only accurate way to determine the quality of a blu ray's transfer is the old fashioned way ..... watch the disc. Call me arrogant but unless I see it with my own eyes I take everyone else's opinion with a grain of salt. There have been too many times when I've heard what a gorgeous transfer ABC is only to watch it and go "Huh? It looks no better than my DVD!". And vice versa, I've heard how awful and bungled a blu ray transfer is and after watching it wondering what "they" were talking about, it looks nice.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I continue to be shocked by those who rely on screen caps as to the quality of a blu ray transfer. The only accurate way to determine the quality of a blu ray's transfer is the old fashioned way ..... watch the disc. Call me arrogant but unless I see it with my own eyes I take everyone else's opinion with a grain of salt. There have been too many times when I've heard what a gorgeous transfer ABC is only to watch it and go "Huh? It looks no better than my DVD!". And vice versa, I've heard how awful and bungled a blu ray transfer is and after watching it wondering what "they" were talking about, it looks nice.

Thank you for continuing to push this philosophy

Screen caps are not a proper representation of a transfer and there have been more than several instances where they have been proven innacurate.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Thank you for continuing to push this philosophy

Screen caps are not a proper representation of a transfer and there have been more than several instances where they have been proven innacurate.

I still can't figure out that whole "teal shift" thing they were going on about from The Lord of the Rings movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks