1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Critical discussion Thread: Your thoughts on Kino-Lorber Blu-rays

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jan 7, 2015.

Tags:
  1. PODER

PODER Supporting Actor

PETER JABLONSKI
    Just a wild guess,
    but I think I may not be the only person with hearing problems who has stopped buying the otherwise
    excellent Kino releases.

2. bigshot

bigshot Cinematographer

Stephen
    In September I preordered three titles from the Kino sale on their site... the two Kolchak movies and Trilogy of Terror. When I saw that the Kolchak movies had been released for a couple of weeks, I contacted Kino through their website form and asked when I would receive them. I was told that there was a delay on Trilogy and the Kolchak movies would be sent with that as soon as it was released.

I received Trilogy in the mail shortly before Halloween along with a receipt that listed all three titles I ordered. Next to the Kolchak movies someone had written in OOS. I contacted Kino through this site and was told that the Kolchak movies had sold out and they were waiting for more stock. The Kino representative wouldn't tell me when I could expect them.

It appears that Kino didn't reserve copies of the Kolchak movies for the people who preordered them along with Trilogy. I preordered these and paid in full in September. It's now three months later and I have yet to receive a single update form Kino regarding my order. Now that Halloween is over, I imagine Kino has moved on to releasing other titles and the Kolchak movies have dropped to their lowest priority.

It would be nice if they got on the phone and called one of their retailers and called back some copies to send to the people who preordered these titles. it would be nice if they sent an apology and updates on when I can expect to get my copies that I paid for three months ago. At this point they have done absolutely nothing.

I buy dozens of Kino titles every year. My shelf is full of them. But I've been burned by them before and at this point, I'm losing patience with them. I would appreciate it if someone from Kino would contact me and try to help solve this problem.

#
    Kino Lorber Insider I'm told you are under no obligation to answer my problem. I would appreciate it if you would direct my problem to the proper person at Kino. Your web submission form hasn't been helpful to me. Thanks

3. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    It is very reasonable to expect a response from a company that screwed up with preorders. It is very reasonable to expect an apology and a proper update. It is not very reasonable for any company to go on radio silence about their screw-ups when it involves customers whose money they've taken. We recently had a CD title take a week longer to replicate than we planned for because machines were down at the pressing plant. We responded to every single person who e-mailed concern because that is our duty as a company.

Gary16 and Peter Apruzzese like this.
  4. bigshot

bigshot Cinematographer

Stephen
    I just got an email from Kino. I am willing to be patient as long as they keep me informed. I'll sit tight a little longer.

5. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    That it took you posting about it here to GET that e-mail is the problem.

6. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

You can always contact them directly via phone which is my preferred method and talk to a customer service representative. My issue was solved immediately. Their customer service number is 800-562-3330.

Jack K and JohnMor like this.
  7. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

I just watched 'Impulse'(1984) starring Jennifer Tilly, and Tim Matheson. The video presentation is amazing. Sourced from a 4K scan of the OCN-and it shows. The movie is pretty silly, but oddly enough I was mesmerized by Jennifer Tilly throughout the film(what ever happened to her?) beautiful. Those fortunate enough to have an OLED, I think it would really bring out the best of this film. My projector is down so it was refreshing to actually see a deep catalogue title like this look like a dedicated UHD title upconverted on my Sony display.

8. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

I think you meant to say Meg Tilly, not Jennifer Tilly (her sister). She pretty much left acting in the early 1990s (no acting between 1995 and 2010) and turned to writing (six novels between 1994 through 2013). She still occasionally acts but mostly in Canadian TV and theater.

Bryan^H likes this.
  9. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

You're right. Thanks for the info about her. I really enjoyed Meg in "Impulse" and she was also great in "Body Snatchers", and Tom Holland's fantastic "Psycho II".