What's new

Your thoughts on Kino-Lorber Blu-rays (8 Viewers)

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
In September I preordered three titles from the Kino sale on their site... the two Kolchak movies and Trilogy of Terror. When I saw that the Kolchak movies had been released for a couple of weeks, I contacted Kino through their website form and asked when I would receive them. I was told that there was a delay on Trilogy and the Kolchak movies would be sent with that as soon as it was released.

I received Trilogy in the mail shortly before Halloween along with a receipt that listed all three titles I ordered. Next to the Kolchak movies someone had written in OOS. I contacted Kino through this site and was told that the Kolchak movies had sold out and they were waiting for more stock. The Kino representative wouldn't tell me when I could expect them.

It appears that Kino didn't reserve copies of the Kolchak movies for the people who preordered them along with Trilogy. I preordered these and paid in full in September. It's now three months later and I have yet to receive a single update form Kino regarding my order. Now that Halloween is over, I imagine Kino has moved on to releasing other titles and the Kolchak movies have dropped to their lowest priority.

It would be nice if they got on the phone and called one of their retailers and called back some copies to send to the people who preordered these titles. it would be nice if they sent an apology and updates on when I can expect to get my copies that I paid for three months ago. At this point they have done absolutely nothing.

I buy dozens of Kino titles every year. My shelf is full of them. But I've been burned by them before and at this point, I'm losing patience with them. I would appreciate it if someone from Kino would contact me and try to help solve this problem.

#
Kino Lorber Insider I'm told you are under no obligation to answer my problem. I would appreciate it if you would direct my problem to the proper person at Kino. Your web submission form hasn't been helpful to me. Thanks

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
It is very reasonable to expect a response from a company that screwed up with preorders. It is very reasonable to expect an apology and a proper update. It is not very reasonable for any company to go on radio silence about their screw-ups when it involves customers whose money they've taken. We recently had a CD title take a week longer to replicate than we planned for because machines were down at the pressing plant. We responded to every single person who e-mailed concern because that is our duty as a company.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I just got an email from Kino. I am willing to be patient as long as they keep me informed. I'll sit tight a little longer.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I just watched 'Impulse'(1984) starring Jennifer Tilly, and Tim Matheson. The video presentation is amazing. Sourced from a 4K scan of the OCN-and it shows. The movie is pretty silly, but oddly enough I was mesmerized by Jennifer Tilly throughout the film(what ever happened to her?) beautiful. Those fortunate enough to have an OLED, I think it would really bring out the best of this film. My projector is down so it was refreshing to actually see a deep catalogue title like this look like a dedicated UHD title upconverted on my Sony display.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I just watched 'Impulse'(1984) starring Jennifer Tilly, and Tim Matheson. The video presentation is amazing. Sourced from a 4K scan of the OCN-and it shows. The movie is pretty silly, but oddly enough I was mesmerized by Jennifer Tilly throughout the film(what ever happened to her?) beautiful. Those fortunate enough to have an OLED, I think it would really bring out the best of this film. My projector is down so it was refreshing to actually see a deep catalogue title like this look like a dedicated UHD title upconverted on my Sony display.

I think you meant to say Meg Tilly, not Jennifer Tilly (her sister). She pretty much left acting in the early 1990s (no acting between 1995 and 2010) and turned to writing (six novels between 1994 through 2013). She still occasionally acts but mostly in Canadian TV and theater.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I think you meant to say Meg Tilly, not Jennifer Tilly (her sister). She pretty much left acting in the early 1990s (no acting between 1995 and 2010) and turned to writing (six novels between 1994 through 2013). She still occasionally acts but mostly in Canadian TV and theater.

You're right. Thanks for the info about her. I really enjoyed Meg in "Impulse" and she was also great in "Body Snatchers", and Tom Holland's fantastic "Psycho II".

Sadsack

Second Unit
Real Name
David
Some seriously bad news on OUTER LIMITS Season Two. First episode has messed up audio. If noone at KINO noticed that, it's possible there are other issues.
Has KINO ever gone back to fix a problem and issued replacement discs?

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I watched both Lisbon and A Man Alone earlier this week. I was pleased with both discs but A Man Alone has better picture quality. (It's a better movie too! Every fan of Westerns should buy this disc)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I'm watching several Kino-Lorber Blu-ray discs at the moment, and The Spiral Staircase tonight. Two recent discs are Hickey & Boggs, with Robert Culp directing as well as acting, and Cannon For Cordoba. Although both films are open to easy criticism, both discs have excellent picture quality. Sadly, for some, neither disc has subtitles.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm watching several Kino-Lorber Blu-ray discs at the moment, and The Spiral Staircase tonight. Two recent discs are Hickey & Boggs, with Robert Culp directing as well as acting, and Cannon For Cordoba. Although both films are open to easy criticism, both discs have excellent picture quality. Sadly, for some, neither disc has subtitles.
Robin, I do remember that Kino committed to having subtitles on their BD releases after a certain date. I believe both of those Blu-rays came out prior to that commitment. The Spiral Staircase does have subtitles since it came out recently. I thought it was MisterLime that made the announcements about the subtitles just before he left.

Edit: I might be mistaken with the above comments as I can't find any Kino post in which they committed to subtitles. Perhaps, I just misremembered in my old age, but I thought Kino committed to subtitles on a certain date.

Last edited:

commander richardson

Second Unit
Real Name
martyn
Robin, I do remember that Kino committed to having subtitles on their BD releases after a certain date. I believe both of those Blu-rays came out prior to that commitment. The Spiral Staircase does have subtitles since it came out recently. I thought it was MisterLime that made the announcements about the subtitles just before he left.

Edit: I might be mistaken with the above comments as I can't find any Kino post in which they committed to subtitles. Perhaps, I just misremembered in my old age, but I thought Kino committed to subtitles on a certain date.

Thankfully ENGLISH sub-titles are included on most if not quite all releases now from KL and their releases are on time and the titles are brilliant . I need ENG. s-titles unfortuately.

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy

I remember this too. I don’t remember if it was on all future releases but I do remember this being posted by mister lime.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I remember this too. I don’t remember if it was on all future releases but I do remember this being posted by mister lime.
I can confirm the Outer Limits Season 2 Blu-ray DOES have subtitles (I kinda had to use them for the 1st episode ... but that's another story ... )

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thankfully ENGLISH sub-titles are included on most if not quite all releases now from KL and their releases are on time and the titles are brilliant . I need ENG. s-titles unfortuately.
Do you remember that subtitle announcement from Kino as I thought you responded to it when it was posted?

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
So, what's the problem with the audio on season two Outer Limits' first episode? Someone makes one post about it and no one asks a follow-up question?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks