What's new

Your thoughts on Kino-Lorber Blu-rays (3 Viewers)

J. Casey

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
This may irritate Mr. Lime further....but Nitrateville's site banner today features Charles Middleton in his role from DAREDEVILS OF THE RED CIRCLE celebrating his birth date (03 May)!

Edit:
Others have corrected me regarding the birth date....it's actually 03 October!

Last edited:

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
In November 2014, I had my first meeting with the staff of Kino Lorber in New York. I met with some very smart and talented people, including company President and CEO, Richard Lorber. I explained my decades-long crusade with stereoscopic cinema and how dedicated I was to get this material out of the vaults and seen again.

More than anyone else, they understood and agreed with our goals. It was SO exhilarating to realize that we were on the same page. Richard said he would back us up 100% and help us to secure studio licenses. Profit was not a primary motivation, he was content to break even. Not only that, whenever possible, they would secure new transfers of elements that hadn't been touched in decades.

I can't begin to tell you how refreshing it was hearing those words. For the past several years, we had received rejection after rejection from companies whose only interest was the almighty dollar. ("We don't care if it's a great or lost film, how much can we make on it?") It was a wonderful day for the Archive and since that time, Kino has released six vintage 3-D titles on Blu-ray. I'm very pleased to say there are more to come!

When I read the following post by our good friend, Mike Ballew, I knew that I had to share. Please take a moment to write a note and express your appreciation to the wonderful and dedicated staff at Kino Lorber!

"How about a quick line to Kino Lorber thanking them for all they do for us 3-D fans, and telling them how much we all look forward to their upcoming Paramount releases? If you've pre-ordered THOSE REDHEADS FROM SEATTLE, maybe mention that too.

Kino Lorber deserves to hear kudos for their diligence and hard work."

From their website:

[email protected]

Jordan Krug

Stunt Coordinator
Hell in the Pacific is a day 1 buy for me, and it hasn't been released so I'm going to tread lightly....

That being said, multiple people, myself included have asked Kino if they're going to finally right the 50 year wrong that is the silly studio imposed ending and restore Boorman's original and preferred ending to the film. Thus far, Kino has refused to answer, (here, on Facebook, on the blu ray forum) so I guess it's safe to assume that even with Boorman's involvement and with the "alternate" ending being restored in HD, that the film is still going to end with the studio imposed ending? With Boorman's ending the release would be definitive...without it I guess it's another missed opportunity.

John Boorman:

"The fact that we were able to film the ending was a kind of catharsis for Marvin. He said to me: "I'm sick of killing people to gratify millions of spectators. From now on they can kill each other." You understand, then, why it upsets me to think that they imposed another ending on the American and English version, the island is bombed out of existence. It was the worst thing that could have happened to the film; it doesn't make sense by ending it with a 'bang'. At first my version was screened in the United States but it was changed for distribution worldwide".

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Yes.
The Maze and Flight to Tangier
both 3D at the top of the list !

In 3-Channel stereo sound! If the original stereo tracks are lost, if possible please have Eckhard Büttner do the reconstruction like he did on Those Red Heads From Seattle.

Maze1.gif

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I've just tonight watched the 3D transfer of SEPTEMBER STORM. I was a low-level contributor to the kickstarter for this (but still received the ViewMaster/disc + a "Thank You" credit onscreen) and now wish I'd given more. In fact, I do not think the movie is great or that the actors are very compelling, but it held my attention, and I attribute about 75% of this to Mr. Furmanek & company, who have produced a stellar restoration. The remaining 25% would be the nice location and underwater photography and a fair music score.

I can't imagine having any interest at all in a 2D edition of this (same with A*P*E). 3D Movie Archives makes this more than just palatable, it transforms the film into an easy-repeat-viewing choice. The colors are deeply saturated, and the depth incredibly immersive. And HARMONY LANE, an added short, is wonderful! Sure, it would have been cool if the juggler footage and his smoke rings blown out toward the camera had survived in 3D, but the rest survives and is delightful.

Like a broken record, I once again thank and congratulate the whole Archive crew for saving and restoring a rather obscure Golden-Age 3D title. I will buy every one of your future releases, as I have all you have produced to this day.

You guys are heroes.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
A quick note of praise:

I'd recently emailed Kino's customer service folks with my concern that my order for The Hurricane Blu-ray seemed to be in limbo. The next day I had a response assuring me that these orders were being handled manually due to that title's out of print status, and that she would make sure my copy would be in transit soon. It was indeed, and I couldn't be happier to have it. Now I just need the time to sit down and enjoy both the film and the commentary. But that response and follow-up were executed in as friendly and competent a manner as any such dealing I've had anywhere, ranking right up there among the best. And yes, I replied to let them know how I appreciated it.

So, just a little thing. But this stuff matters. Bravo and thanks, Kino Lorber.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I just wanted to mention that I finally got to watch the Blu-ray of 23 Paces to Baker Street, and the transfer was sterling, both video and audio. I was so happy to throw away that dreadful pan and scan DVD-R that Fox issued several years ago and which I reviewed.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Ok, I know the bluray of "A Fistful of dollars" was just announced, but since Mr.Lime said they're using the 2014 restoration, here it is:
http://www.criterionforum.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13539
It seems I spoke too soon, wishing the restoration wouldn't been teal.
and I just saw now, it's Ritrovata, so it was expected as this color palette is THEIR trademark.

I must stress, because people misunderstand easily, that I'm not criticizing Kino. They release what they get. They are not responsible for the restoration.

It will be funny when in a few years, all these restorations will become obsolete.
From the magenta push, we went to the teal push, and I'm curious to see what the next "push" will be.

Last edited:

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
Mr. Lime,

Has Kino ever tried to reach out to Earl Owensby about licensing his films? He made 6 low-budget 3-D films in the 80's that were apparently very well shot, but can only be seen at repertory festivals in 35mm prints.

Here's a thread that goes into more detail.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I got my shipment from the Kino Lorber Launch sale today. As others have reported, it was only a partial shipment as the website evidently has no way of letting us know what is back ordered. However at least they annotated on the invoice with a highlighter so I would know what's what.
Kino.JPG

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I got my shipment from the Kino Lorber Launch sale today. As others have reported, it was only a partial shipment as the website evidently has no way of letting us know what is back ordered. However at least they annotated on the invoice with a highlighter so I would know what's what. View attachment 39744
I received a similar note on one of my orders (with The Hurricane listed as "BO")

While an note/email might have been preferable ... at least it was not what "WBshop" did with Bad Day at Black Rock during their sale ... which was to send the order sans disc with BDABR not on the packing list ... Thanks to this wonderful forum I learned it was on Backorder and would be shipped separately.

A handwritten note is better than nothing ...
Of the titles on the list you submitted Broken Arrow and A Funny Thing Happened on The Way to The Forum must have gone to backorder recently as they were in previous orders I had made during this sale ... and they WERE included in the order.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I received a similar note on one of my orders (with The Hurricane listed as "BO")

While an note/email might have been preferable ... at least it was not what "WBshop" did with Bad Day at Black Rock during their sale ... which was to send the order sans disc with BDABR not on the packing list ... Thanks to this wonderful forum I learned it was on Backorder and would be shipped separately.

A handwritten note is better than nothing ...
Of the titles on the list you submitted Broken Arrow and A Funny Thing Happened on The Way to The Forum must have gone to backorder recently as they were in previous orders I had made during this sale ... and they WERE included in the order.
Yes I'm sure a lot of titles that I ordered were in stock at the beginning of the sale. I waited until the last day of the sale to place my order.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
I also received several of those titles you have on back order, Mark...I'm sure that KL will have them on your way soon...I'm in Canada and discovered that all the new Bob Hope and Bing and Bob 'Road' blu-rays were all unavailable to me, due to Kino only having rights for USA on those titles...disappointing, but I'm over the moon about how great '23 Paces...' and 'Night People' look...as well as re-visiting that incredible Franz Waxman score for 'Indian Fighter'... good God, that's beautiful music...the transfer for 'Indian Fighter' is less impressive, but still very good...really happy with everything else too...'Hell in the Pacific', 'Papa's Delicate Condition', 'Farewell to Arms' etc., etc...I've bought a hell of a lot of KL before the sale and thus am glad that some of the recent releases were included in the event...the pre-pre-order deals don't make as much of a difference to me over Amazon Canada pre-order prices...I'd only save about $3 per title as I'd need to pay shipping on the much desired September and October releases...strangely enough, I can still order the 'Hope' and 'Road' titles through Amazon Canada, although at mostly much higher prices...

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
What's the issue been with getting The Good, the Bad and the Ugly correct?

I think it looks great now, but I also never saw it in theaters (Not that my memory is good enough to know years later if what I'm watching at home is fully accurate or not). Yet the review at that "other site" as I see it referred to as sometimes around here, makes it sound like this presentation still isn't fully accurate?

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Good-the-Bad-and-the-Ugly-Blu-ray/175359/#Review

Badly faded elements that have to be corrected for? I can't picture too many objections based off those screenshots, but learning about some of the technical challenges involved is always interesting.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks