Criterion's website no longer has "Traffic" as a "Coming Soon" DVD--concerns?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Clint B, Feb 20, 2002.

1. Clint B

Clint B Second Unit

Maybe it's nothing, but I was a bit dismayed when I saw this. Is this release still coming?

2. Rain

Rain Producer

It looks to me like they are in the process of updating the site and that the Traffic announcement has been moved to make room for something infinitely more exciting:

3. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian
    Freaking Sweeeeeeeet!!! I saw Umberto D. a few months ago and absolutely loved it. [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Rain

Rain Producer

Clint, sorry about hijacking your thread. [​IMG]
    If you are really worried about it, I would go ahead and email Jon Mulvany (accessable via Criterion site) to ask.

5. Clint B

Clint B Second Unit

No biggie, Rain. Actually, I've never seen "Umberto D." I'm relatively new to discovering films that aren't playing on 8 zillion screens at once. Is there a review for "Umberto D." that I could check out?

6. Michael Boyd

Michael Boyd Second Unit

I found my friend Clint! You over your illness bud?
    http://us.imdb.com/TUrls?COM+0045274
    Here are 3 English reviews grouped here. Looks like one is a recent Village Voice review as well. Might we expect a showing at The Magnolia soon?

7. Clint B

Clint B Second Unit

Hey, Mike! I'm feeling a little better. Thanks for the reviews.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I must give a healthy dose of credit to my friend Mike Boyd for helping me "see the light" about the OAR presentation of films. Before he and I had some discussions on film, I was the quintissential "Joe Sixpack" and knew nothing about OAR. Now, thanks in part to Mike, I do, and there's no going back!

8. Michael Boyd

Michael Boyd Second Unit

Well Clint I coulda helped you "see the light" a whole lot sooner back in college. But I just didnt think it was a good idea to bring my LD player up there around all that beer we would consume. :) But you're there now! thats all that matters!

9. Chad Gregory

Chad Gregory Supporting Actor

As we digress...

I wouldn't worry about Traffic disappearing off of the front page. I believe that space is reserved for the most fresh big news that Criterion has and Traffic is no longer it.

On the coming soon page, they only list the next two months. Which is now March/April. I would suspect that it won't feature prominently until the end of March, when it is officially announced.

-Chad

10. Clint B

Clint B Second Unit

Thanks, Chad. Sorry for getting a bit off topic there. I just watched "Traffic" last night, and while I think it's a great movie and the current DVD has a great picture, I think the DVD can be even better, and from what I've heard, Criterion will deliver on that.

11. Chad Gregory

Chad Gregory Supporting Actor

12. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Criterion is doing Umberto D.? Cool! It's about time they got ahold of some De Sica! Haven't seen Umberto D. in years but I do remember being moved by the plight of the old man and his dog. What was the dog's name? Flag?

13. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

The Hijack continues...
    Umberto D is one of the greatest Italian films of all time. I love the way De Sica portrays the old man in the film as he doesn't over sentimentalize him. He presents this man realistically, faults and all, yet you still end up caring about him & his plight. If only Hollywood would portray their characters in such a 3 dimensional light.

14. Rain

Rain Producer

Hopefully, Criterion will be able to get their hands on some more De Sica.

The Bicycle Thief, while I'm happy to have it on DVD, needs some serious restoration work. Shoeshine is absent altogether.

15. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

While I"m more excited about some of their other upcoming DVD's, I'll plunk down my cash for Umberto D. I'm probably the only person to ever be underwhelmed by The Bicycle Thief, but there was no way it could have lived up to the expectations I had for it. I'm curious to see other De Sica films.

16. Jamie Boyd

Jamie Boyd Auditioning

I've found it is hard for movies to live up to high praise. Thankfully I saw The Bicycle Thief without too much build up and love it. I have thought about buying the release that is out, but I hope for a better version. It would be great if Criterion could do that.

To take us a little more off topic, has anyone heard yet if the new 400 Blows will be a new anamorphic transfer?

About Traffic, it is suppose to have a May 28th release. I am looking forward to it, and can't wait to pre-order it. I am very glad I passed on the first version.

17. Rain

Rain Producer