What's new

Criterion's Third Man - not available in Canada ? (1 Viewer)

James Corey

Stunt Coordinator
I've been checking out the various online dealers in Canada to get a feel on pricing for this title when I make my annual buying-splurge trek tommorow to the Big Smoke (T.O.) and any sites that I've gone to ( Future Shop, HMV, etc) indicate that "this title is not currently available".
Could this be an importing issue, since all U.S. sites reflect immediate availability ?
confused.gif

It's been a long time since I've had the opportunity to see this film and have been looking forward to picking this up as well as "Brief Encounter".
Any thoughts/feedback greatly appreciated

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
Personally I have always wondered how Criterion can release all their discs in the US as well as Canada. I have always been told here that Criterions, and Anchor bay as well, are always released in both the US and Canada, but I can't understand how this would work, especially with foreign licenses.
Withnail & I for example, was already released in Canada before Criterion released theirs. Of course that movie was licenced from Anchor bay who also are present in Canada (But I have no idea if they have rights for Canada or even released the Canadian version, but I suspect not, since it was not released in the US as well (The non-criterion one))
------------------
"You're 10 seconds away from the most embarrassing moment of your life!"
Click here to admit you want to see Ford Fairlane on DVD!
DVD List Link Removed
[Edited last by Bjørn Olav Nyberg on October 09, 2001 at 04:26 AM]

Francis

Auditioning
I picked up a copy of this, my all time fave film, from one of the best dvd stores in Toronto - Bay Street Video. They only had a few copies left when I purchased mine several months ago. I don't think they have an on-line service, but their number is 416-964-9088. Good luck.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I've never had a real problem here obtaining any Criterion titles. Sometimes it takes them a bit longer to get here, but they all do. I bought a copy of The Third Man right here in Vancouver with no problems whatsoever.
------------------
RainHTFpic.jpg

"Imagine all the people, living life in peace..." - Imagine by John Lennon
Anyone in the Vancouver Canada area interested in a meet? Click here
[Edited last by Rain on October 09, 2001 at 11:14 AM]

James Corey

Stunt Coordinator
Hmmmmm... well, I just got back and when I inquired at the 3 big stores on Yonge Street, they advised that the title is no longer being made available in Canada,
frown.gif
but there may be a 'deal' in the works to bring it back, so I assume it's a licensing issue.
Rain, I don't know how long ago you secured your copy in Vancouver, but when I was talking to the ex-video manager for Sam's (now employed by the competition), he advised that they ran out over a month ago and he wasn't sure when or if it would be back in.... but I WAS able to pick up Brief Encounter, so my trip was not in vain and I have something to watch tonite.
biggrin.gif

thanks all for your responses.....

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
quote: Rain, I don't know how long ago you secured your copy in Vancouver, but when I was talking to the ex-video manager for Sam's (now employed by the competition), he advised that they ran out over a month ago and he wasn't sure when or if it would be back in.... [/quote]
Yes, the distribution of Criterion titles in Canada appears to be somewhat unreliable. However, even if they aren't available "domestically" per se, they can still be imported. For example, all of the copies of I Know Where I'm Going! that I've seen have import stickers on them.
Worst case scenario is that you wait for it to show up or order it online (you can even order from the U.S.). However, here is a link to a Burnaby, BC based online retailer that currently has The Third Man in stock: http://www.cnl.com
"Imagine all the people, living life in peace..." - Imagine by John Lennon
Anyone in the Vancouver Canada area interested in a meet? Click here
[Edited last by Harry Lime on October 10, 2001 at 11:27 AM]
[Edited last by Rain on October 10, 2001 at 11:29 AM]

James Corey

Stunt Coordinator
Rain.... thanks for the tip. I actually jumped the gun ( or the queue, depending on your p.o.v.) and ordered online from the US late last nite
patriot.gif
, but fortunately there was a 15% off e-coupon for the purchase, so $-wise it works out about the same with exchange, customs, etc.
Your help is greatly appreciated, as I was not previously aware of C&L
later.....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks