What's new

Criterion's The Third Man OOP??? (1 Viewer)

David Ely

Supporting Actor
A couple of hours ago I was in a DVD retailer in downtown Toronto. They had Criterion's The Third Man listed as OOP. Is this true? If so, when did it go OOP?

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
More likely, Criterion still have the rights (and so don't list it as OOP) but haven't done a new print run in a while. I remember their Brazil box going through periods of rarity at least two or three times between print runs.

Malcolm Cleugh

Second Unit
Yes I had this problem with Brazil, had to wait 2-3 months for my e-tailer to be able to source it. Was worth the wait.
Criterion do seem to be slow in repressing especially for their titles which have been out for some time.

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
Do you think the Criterion website might list a title as OOP that isn't really, or that they might start printing a title again that was previously listed as OOP? The reason I ask, and sorry that it's a bit off-topic, is that I just rushed around to get Time Bandits, because the guy at the first store I went to told me it was OOP, and that he had seen it listed as such on the Criterion website. Yet I look there now, and it's not listed as OOP. Could it have been listed as OOP, and now not listed, or was this guy just plain wrong?

Bill Harris

Stunt Coordinator
This would seriously suck. I already have the disc , but this is one Criterion most people should own. Orson Welles' reveal is worth the purchase alone

Mark Hanson

Agent
At times and especially for Criterion there is the mistake of equating Out of Stock with Out of Print. Out of Print means we have no plans for any of multiple reasons to make this ever again at this time other things may happen in the future, but this is the current status. Out of stock we will do it again when we can and should. A point to be very careful about on auctions etc. Almost every Criterion issue has gone throught the out of stock phase.

Tony Aguila

Stunt Coordinator
Another case in point is Beauty and the Beast. Criterion lists it as available, but you can't find it anywhere, at least not for less than $100. :frowning:

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
"Beauty and the Beast" may well be a slightly different situation. Apparently, Criterion is releasing a new-and-improved version using the recently restored print for transfer. Whether it will include the original array of excellent supplements, new supplements, etc., is unknown.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Rich, you might be right, but I have to wonder what possible reason there would be for not including the extras...unless they have some different stuff lined up.

In any case, I'm hanging on to mine until the new one is in my hands.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Another case in point is Beauty and the Beast. Criterion lists it as available, but you can't find it anywhere, at least not for less than $100.
I sent an e-mail to Criterion regarding this when I first noticed the usual gang offering B&B at inflated prices, stating that it was OOP. Criterion’s WEB site did not list it as OOP. Hence the e-mail.

I received an immediate response, stating exactly what Rich noted.

If there are people who decide to spend their money on an inferior transfer, then that’s up to them. But for me, its pretty hard to criticize Criterion for not continuing to supply what they consider an inferior transfer when they have a better offering forthcoming. After all, they make no additional money at all from the scalpers.

Personally, I’ve never seen Criterion state that something was OOP and then say that it was not. I would be very surprised if Criterion actually said that Time Bandits was OOP. I check their WEB site frequently (though not every day) and never saw this.

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
Personally, I’ve never seen Criterion state that something was OOP and then say that it was not. I would be very surprised if Criterion actually said that Time Bandits was OOP. I check their WEB site frequently (though not every day) and never saw this.
Lew, is it rumoured that TB is about to go OOP....?

Herb.

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
The Third Man is a public domain title. I can't see Criterion losing the "rights" to it.
Are you sure about this? Somehow I doubt it. A lot of titles that are "commonly thought" to be public domain really aren't (cf. Metropolis and most of Hitchcock's British films). Anyway, Charade is public domain and it's OOP.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
A great movie and a great documentary with the DVD. I had not realized that Vienna was divided up like Berlin until the mid-50s.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Even the thought of The Third Man being OOP makes me nervous! I better pick this one up while I can!

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Jean-Michel said:
Anyway, Charade is public domain and it's OOP.
Really? I thought it belonged to Universal. Oh well, I've got my copy of The Third Man, and it works too. What puzzles me is: where in the world did I get the recommendation for this film? I'm completely blanking on this. I'd like to say Newsweek or SteveGon, but I can't remember for the life of me.

Anyways, I wouldn't worry too much. The Third Man is very easy to find, so much that you'll find a copy or two at Best Buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks