What's new

Criterion's The Battle of Algiers & John Cassavetes: Five Films announced! (1 Viewer)

BradWOO

Stunt Coordinator
So, has anyone picked up the Cassavetes boxed set? I'm on the fence about purchasing this. Thanks

NeilK

Stunt Coordinator
The Cassavetes boxed-set is really cool looking and is loaded with extras as well as amazing restorations, not to mention some alternate edits. Although i'm not sold on the cardboard packaging a la Antoin Doinel boxed-set; it seems a little bit fragile. Oh well, small potataz.
Good job criterion.
Oh yeah, and Algiers has been pushed back to mid-October. September 21st would have been too exprensive a day anyway (i.e Star Wars, La Dolce Vita, Mr. Show S.4, Coffee and Cigarettes, the Saddest Music in the World...)

Tim_C

Stunt Coordinator
I'm extremely excited to get "The Battle of Algiers," I already have it pre-ordered on Amazon.

With a special edition of "M" coming at the end of the year and a "Fanny and Alexander" five-disc set coming in November, Criterion is going to be taking a lot of my money in the coming months. (Not to mention several of their recently released DVDs that I've been wanting to get.)

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
I just ordered this on dvdplanet, but does anyone have any thoughts on it who has picked it up? What does the packaging and cover arts look like? Could someone provide pics if possible? I've been waiting a very long time for this one and hoope I'm not disappointed.

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
Yea, I've heard a thing or two about them, but I shipped for 2nd day Air and I just got an email saying it just got shipped. Hopefully everything is in order. All of the reviews I have seen of this have given it high marks across the board, and many say it's among Criterion's best DVDs to date.

Scott David

Stunt Coordinator

Hmmm...I've never had a problem with DVD Planet, including my recent purchase of the Cassavetes box set, which arrived yesterday (my only problem there was with our stupid mailperson who somehow managed to barely cram it into our regular-sized mailbox, sticking halfway out...in the rain. Fortuanately, the set itself was OK.). What are the problems with DVD Planet?

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor

I must admit that I really don't know about DVD Planet's performance nowadays because I haven't ordered from them in months. But there's a reason why I haven't ordered from them in months.

As long as a problem doesn't occur during a "buying experience", there's really nothing to complain about. Whenever a problem does arise, however, is when you learn if the company has good customer service or not.

In my experience, DVD Planet forgot about customer service some time during the summer of last year. I had a certain problem with a number of orders (DVD Planet suddenly started sending my DVDs to the wrong country). Whenever I contacted them about this during a period of a few months they used to respond somewhat "reluctantly" a few times and later not at all. The only reason why I kept ordering from them for a while was low prices on the Criterion Collection.

But eventually I'd had enough and I had also found another source offering good prices on the Criterion Collection, so I found that I could do well without DVD Planet.

In a way I still feel that DVD Planet owes me something, but I won't bother them directly anymore. I just pay them back by taking the opportunity to explain why people should stay away whenever that name is mentioned in a discussion that I take part in.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
DVD Planet (formerly Ken Cranes) is now owned by Deep Discount DVD in Chicago.
Ever since DDD took on the added work/inventory etc, their service and speed have gone way down, from my experience.

I imagine the same is true of DVDP, as now instead of from LA, everything ships out of Chicago, I was told by a CSR.

Daniel Windsor

Stunt Coordinator
The Cassavetes boxset is the best ever release on DVD. Magnificent. Well done HVE/Criterion and everyone else concerned!

For those wanting to see Mikey & Nicky, HVE/Criterion are releasing it in December

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks