What's new

Criterion's September slate; Nic Roeg, Godard, Campion, Mike Leigh... (1 Viewer)

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
No need to feel embaressed, Ted! Incidentally, I noticed today that you frequent the Criterion Forums. It would be great to see some more HTF members over there, also.

Real Name
Anthony
Specs are in !

BAD TIMING (9/13, $29.95)
# New, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised and approved by director Nicolas Roeg
# New interview with Roeg and producer Jeremy Thomas
# New interview with Theresa Russell
# Deleted scenes
# Original theatrical trailer
# Gallery of behind-the-scenes production photos and original posters
# A new essay by film historian Richard Combs and a reprinted interview with Art Garfunkel, from 1980
# Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing

THE MAN WHO FELL TO EARTH (2 disc, 9/13, $39.95)
# New, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised and approved by director Nicolas Roeg
# Exclusive audio commentary by Roeg and actors David Bowie and Buck Henry
# Performance, a compilation of new video interviews with actors Candy Clark and Rip Torn
# New video interview with screenwriter Paul Mayersberg
# Audio interviews with costume designer May Routh and production designer Brian Eatwell
# Multiple stills galleries, including Routh’s costume sketches; behind-the-scenes photos; and production and publicity stills, introduced by set photographer David James
# Gallery of posters from Roeg’s films
# Trailers and television spots
# More!
# Plus: an exclusive reprint of Walter Tevis’s original novel, courtesy of Vintage Books, and a booklet featuring a new essay on the film by critic Graham Fuller and an appreciation of Tevis by novelist Jack Matthews

MASCULIN FEMININ (9/20, $29.95)
# New, restored high-definition digital transfer
# Exclusive new video interviews, conducted in 2005, with actress Chantal Goya, cinematographer Willy Kurant, and Godard collaborator Jean-Pierre Gorin
# Theatrical trailer for the 2005 rerelease
# New and improved English subtitle translation
# New essay by film scholar Adrian Martin
# More!

NAKED (2-disc, 9/20, $39.95)
# New, restored high-definition digital transfer
# Audio commentary by director Mike Leigh and actors David Thewlis and Katrin Cartlidge
# Exclusive new video introduction by filmmaker Neil LaBute
# The Conversation, a BBC program with Author Will Self interviewing Leigh
# Original theatrical trailer
# New essay by film-critic Derek Malcolm
# More!

AN ANGEL AT MY TABLE (Director-Approved Special Edition DVD) (9/20) ($39.95)
# New high-definition digital transfer supervised by the director of photography Stuart Dryburgh and approved by director Jane Campion
# New Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack
# Audio commentary featuring Campion and Stuart Dryburgh
# A documentary about the making of An Angel at My Table
# Theatrical trailer
# Audio interview with Janet Frame, from 1983
# A new essay by film critic Amy Taubin and reprinted excerpts from Frame’s
# autobiography, which formed the basis of the film
# More!

:) :) :emoji_thumbsup:

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Each of those sets seem to have comprehensive extras. I can't wait to get my hands on the two Roegs.

Cheers, Anthony.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Very glad to hear this. I notice that Katrin will be included on the "Naked" commmentary, which I was surprised and pleased to see (clearly recorded some years ago before her death). She was one of my favorite actors during the late-90s/early-00s, and I think "Career Girls" is an underrated film for her and Leigh. Really looking forward to both of these DVDs.

Mario Gauci

Senior HTF Member
This just in - here are Nicolas Roeg's favorite titles in The Criterion Collection:

1.L'Avventura (1960)
2.The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (1972) - my favorite film from my favorite director:)!
3.Beauty and the Beast (1946)
4.Wild Strawberries (1957)
5.8 1/2 (1963)
6.Children of Paradise (1945)
7.Schizopolis (1996)
8.Contempt (1963)
9.Straw Dogs (1971)
10.The Leopard (1963)

Although my own Criterion Top 10 would look rather different, I own all of these myself except for SCHIZOPOLIS (which I've never even watched) and STRAW DOGS (of which I own Fremantle's R2 SE DVD). Unfortunately, though, I've only watched 3 of them so far - Nos. 2, 3 and 5!!

By the way, those are some great supplements Criterion prepared for BAD TIMING (1980) and, especially, THE MAN WHO FELL TO EARTH (1976). September can't come soon enough...

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Great news about more Louis Malle in the Criterion Collection:
I just saw Milou in May at the Walter Reade -- and it had a Janus logo!!! Huge news for me -- I thought that it was lost in MGM/Sony's infernal clutches for ever.

The print was in great shape, and man what a movie -- even better than I remembered it. It captures the moment so well and knows it's characters inside and out -- more true to life than any documentary. Funny, well written, great soundtrack (Stephane Grappelli), great cast... Did I mention that I love Milou in May?

Ted

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray

Don't forget RAN....for God's sake people, Criterion is releasing RAN!!! I can't wait.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Hmmmm....I learned about the Criterion RAN release in THIS thread but I can't seem to find the blurb at Criterion's site anymore....

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member

Agreed.

Boy that Masculin Feminin cover is butt-ugly, and I'm not found of The Man Who Fell to Earth cover either.

The other two have nice artwork.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
>>Only Naked is still naked without cover art.
--------
and it looks like Roegs' TMWFTE is just temp box art

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Why would you think it's temp, Mark? Looks perfectly fine and worked out to me. If anything, I can forsee Criterion not using the Masculin Feminin cover, which is indeed outright atrocious, but maybe they're intentionally going for that cheesy '60s feel. But it still looks like ass, sorry.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
well, apparantly you are right, Paul. I blew the image up and can see the Criterion template at the top.

and the NAKED cover is too cool.
Septembre cant come quickly enough.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member

Well, to each his own, but I think it's a very cool design. I hope they keep it.

seanJ

Agent
Can`t wait to get "Bad Timing" in a decent widescreen edition.
I was recently lucky enough to attend a talk given by Nicolas Roeg at the Hay Festival (following a screening of the brilliant "Performance")which was interspersed by clips from his films - the snippet from "Bad Timing" was sourced from pan/scan VHS and looked predictably dreadful.

A great cinematographer and director, Roeg`s films simply have to be seen in the best possible picture quality available.

Regards

Real Name
Anthony
As wonderful as it is to have BAD TIMING at last, has anyone else noticed the extreme variations in grading ? The worst example is during a conversation between Keitel and Garfunkel when they are initially seen in a rather cold blue light. Towards the end of the scene it cuts back to Keitel and the colour timing seems to have completely changed, and become much warmer. It's not one of Roeg's time-shifts ; it just looks like the footage wasn't properly graded.

Anyone care to comment ? Was this what the original print was like ? Why didn't Criterion attempt to correct it ?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks