Criterion's September slate; Nic Roeg, Godard, Campion, Mike Leigh...

Discussion in 'DVD' started by John Hodson, Jun 30, 2005.

1. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    DVD Beaver has come 'exclusive' news on it's front page, with titles for Criterion's September slate:

“Masculin Feminin” (Jean Luc Godard)
    “The Man Who Fell to Earth” (Nicolas Roeg, including commentary with Nicolas Roeg, Bowie, and Buck Henry!)
    “Bad Timing” (Nicolas Roeg)
    “Naked” (Mike Leigh, including commentary with Mike Leigh and David Thewlis!)
    “An Angel at My Table” (Jane Campion, with commentary by Campion)

2. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Though I was hoping for "Mouchette", "Marienbad" and "Playtime", these are great! My two favorite Nic Roeg movies (not many folks have seen "Bad Timing" it seems

3. Jeff Kuykendall

Jeff Kuykendall Stunt Coordinator

I agree with Rich's comments, and I'm excited about these announcements too. But it seems really odd that Criterion is doing The Man Who Fell to Earth, since Anchor Bay just recently, it seems, did their own SE. Is it OOP? Are they trying to get back at Anchor Bay for releasing an anamorphic version of Time Bandits to compete with Criterion's non-anamorphic version? I thought I read somewhere that Criterion wouldn't release a film on DVD if there was already an adequate version available. But then, I don't own the Anchor Bay version of The Man Who Fell to Earth, so I can't vouch for it, and I'm sure the commentary makes it worth an upgrade.

I just watched Bad Timing on IFC a few months ago and (head's up) it's great but very disturbing. I will certainly never listen to a Simon and Garfunkel record the same way again. Roeg's one of the great stylists of the 70's. (Now we need Performance.)

4. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Cinematographer

Great news about MACULIN FEMININ!!!!!!! Probably my favorite Godard film.

I'm not as much of a Roeg fan. I remember wanting to see BAD TIMING for years. Then finally seeing it on cable about ten years ago. And now, I can barely remember a thing about it.

NAKED is a great film though. ANGEL is good, but nothing I'd see again.

5. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Sigh.

6. Jerry R Colvin

Jerry R Colvin Stunt Coordinator

Three cheers for the 'Naked' news. Been waiting for that forever....

(still waiting for 'Enchanted April')(not by any of the above directors, but an art house favorite from the same era)

7. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

As a huge fan of Roeg, it is great to see that Bad Timing will be finally available in glorius anamorphic widescreen version. It has never had a U.S. home video release, so bravo to Criterion.

I have wanted to hear the Laserdisc commentary to The Man Who Fell To Earth for years now, so this will be a real treat. There will be more extras for this, I'm sure.

Great to see that Naked is finally on DVD.

I am not a fan of An Angel at My Table or Masculin Feminin, but many people are and it is always great to see titles that have been in demand getting a definitive DVD release.

I far as I am concerned, this has been a great year, so far, for Criterion releases:

Kagemusha
    Casque d’or
    Touchez pas au grisbi
    Thieves' Highway
    Night and the City
    The River
    My Own Private Idaho
    L'Eclisse
    Jules and Jim
    Wadja box: A Generation; Kanal; Ashes and Diamonds
    F for Fake
    The Phantom of Liberty
    Heaven Can Wait
    Unfaithfully Yours
    The Flowers of St. Francis
    Le notti bianche
    Au hasard Balthazar
    Boudu Saved from Drowning
    And, coming soon:

The 49th Parallel
    A Canterbury Tale
    Ugetsu
    Some John Ford films
    Jour de Fete
    More Yasujiro Ozu films (Ozu silents box also a strong possibility)
    My Night at Maud's
    Claire's Knee

And these are getting remasters:

The Wages of Fear (2-disc?)
    Playtime (2-disc?)
    High and Low
    Seven Samurai (2-disc)

8. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

I agree, they haven't necessarily released the films I've been waiting to buy, but they've put out a large number of films I'd never heard of before that have turned out to be gems like Casque d'Or and Fighting Elegy. Just watched The Browning Version last night and found it to be very powerful and moving.

9. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

I keep hearing this, but month after month goes by, and nothing. [​IMG]

10. Mario Gauci

Mario Gauci Cinematographer

I'll be picking up 3 of Criterion's September DVD releases for sure:

MASCULIN FEMININ (1966) - I also need to pick up 2 of Criterion's other Godard releases - A WOMAN IS A WOMAN (1961) and TOUT VA BIEN (1972) - hardly my favorite Godards but quite worthwhile just the same; besides, I've yet to go through 2 Criterion Godards which I own and love - CONTEMPT (1963) and BAND OF OUTSIDERS (1964); also, I keep hoping that they revisit ALPHAVILLE (1965) as a fully-loaded SE DVD one of these days[​IMG]!

THE MAN WHO FELL TO EARTH (1976) - the only one I've watched of the three: I was baffled by it on first viewing but was quite impressed on a second helping a few years ago; I held out on the current Anchor Bay DVD edition because I was disappointed the LD Audio Commentary was passed over and, happily, my waiting seems to have paid off!

BAD TIMING (1980) - I've missed out on this one when it was shown on Cable TV ages ago; I was tempted by the R2 edition of it but, again, the lack of supplements and OAR, thankfully, put me off[​IMG]!

As for Criterion's 2005 catalogue so far, I've only picked up a few myself: THIEVES' HIGHWAY (1949), NIGHT AND THE CITY (1950), THE RIVER (1951) - all of which I've yet to receive[​IMG]! - and, obviously, THE PHANTOM OF LIBERTY (1974); however, that's hardly because Criterion hasn't delivered the goods this year. To mention just those I intend to eventually purchase myself:

CASQUE D'OR (1952)
    TOUCHEZ PAS AU GRISBI (1953)
    TOUT VA BIEN (1972)/LETTER TO JANE (1973)
    THE ECLIPSE (1962)
    YOING TORLESS (1966)
    KAGEMUSHA (1980)
    A GENERATION (1954)/KANAL (1956)/ASHES AND DIAMONDS (1958)
    DIVORCE - ITALIAN STYLE (1961)
    F FOR FAKE (1973)
    BURDEN OF DREAMS (1982)
    JULES ET JIM (1961)
    HEAVEN CAN WAIT (1943)
    THE BROWNING VERSION (1951)
    AU HASARD, BALTHAZAR (1966)
    UNFAITHFULLY YOURS (1948)
    LE NOTTI BIANCHE (1957)
    AU REVOIR, LES ENFANTS (1987)
    BOUDU SAVED FROM DROWNING (1932)
    HARA KIRI (1962)

You folks gotta be kidding me, right[​IMG]?

11. Haggai

Haggai Producer

Gordon's list didn't include Au Revoir Les Enfants, which is supposed to be out sometime later this year. Some more Louis Malle might be possible as well, one that I've always wanted to see is Elevator to the Gallows, which is coming to some theaters in the next few months in a new print from Rialto.

12. Douglas Bailey

Douglas Bailey Second Unit

Douglas Bailey
    I'll be very glad to pick up Naked on DVD at last. And while I have the Anchor Bay The Man Who Fell to Earth disc, I'm not entirely crazy about the colour transfer on it: when I compared it to the Criterion laserdisc's transfer, I preferred the latter despite its lower resolution. So a nice new 16:9-enhanced version of the Criterion transfer – with all the LD's extras ported over – would definitely make me happy.

13. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S
    Wow, "Naked". While I find this film very unpleasant with a hateful protagonist, there are bits of brilliant dialogue in it I'd love to hear again.

14. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Yes, more Malle is coming: http://www.bampfa.berkeley.edu/pfa_p...lle/index.html

And the Pursuit of Happiness w/Vive le Tour
    Zazie dans le Metro
    Calcutta
    Lacombe, Lucian
    God's Country
    Human, Too Human
    Murmur of the Heart
    The Fire Within
    Place de la République

All are listed as "From Janus/Criterion Collection". Nothing is certain, but a boxed set is very likely to appear in the coming months.

15. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Producer

So what -- Criterion seems to be sponsoring every big event at the Walter Reade (Film Society) these days -- an exactly analogous sign was projected at each screening at this year's French Film Festival -- and these were all brand new films -- none of which Criterion had the rights to. They are just giving money for a good cause.

To my knowledge, the only sure Malle Criterions are Au Revoir Les Enfants, Damage & Elevator to the Gallows and *possibly* Phantom India as it is explicitly mentioned on Criterion's web site. Indeed Criterion have the same note on their front page -- they are sponsoring the Malle retro. In NY they are showing every single film Louis Malle ever made. Surely Criterion didn't just get the rights to all of them?

Ted

16. Jerry R Colvin

Jerry R Colvin Stunt Coordinator

Those interested in Mike Leigh's Naked might also be interested in his subsequent release with Katrin Cartlidge, Career Girls, which per Amazon and DDD is being release on Sept. 6. Not a Criterion release, though...

17. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Ted, I stated that "Nothing is certain.". If you click on the title of each film, you will see that all the films I listed are "From Janus/Criterion Collection".

Example: Le Fou Follet

If that doesn't mean that Janus own the films now, then I don't know what to make of it. If they don't own those films now, then who does? Au Revoir Les Enfants was delayed for a reason, probably because a boxed set of Malle is either being planned or at least considered. Maybe, just a few of those films will appear individually. Who knows.

BTW, Criterion's website isn't the definitive resource when it comes to finding out what they will be releasing in the future! It's best to go here for that.

There are even more possibilities:

ELEVATOR TO THE GALLOWS (1957, Malle) via Rialto

LES AMANTS (1958, Malle) Told to [forum] member by source that Criterion has aquired it along with Elevator to the Gallows via New Yorker.

EUROPA '51 (1952, Rossellini) Aired on TCM featuring Janus Films logo.

A NOS AMOURS (1983, Pialat) Pacific film archive credits Janus/Criterion Collection

SANS SOLEIL (1983, Marker) New Yorker confirmed it will be released by Criterion

LA JETEE (1962, Marker) via Argos Films/New Yorker

REMORQUES (1941, Grémillion) on the calendar page for a recent showing of the film at berkeley's pacific film archive, it says "permission: Janus/Criterion")

THE MAGICIAN (1958, Bergman) via Janus Films, new prints showing on various screenings

THE VIRGIN SPRING (1960, Bergman) via Janus Films, new prints showing on various screenings

SISTERS OF THE GION (1936, Mizoguchi) a Janus Films title, at Center for Japanese Studies as "permission: Janus/Criterion

OSAKA ELEGY (1936, Mizoguchi) a Janus Films title, at Center for Japanese Studies as "permission: Janus/Criterion

THE STORY OF THE LAST CHRYSANTHEMUM (1939, Mizoguchi) a Janus Films title, at Center for Japanese Studies as "permission: Janus/Criterion".

SANSHO THE BAILIFF (1954, Mizoguchi) a Janus Films title, at Center for Japanese Studies as "permission: Janus/Criterion".

THE LOYAL 47 RONIN, PARTS I & II (1941, Mizoguchi) a Janus Films title, at Center for Japanese Studies as "permission: Janus/Criterion".

MY LOVE HAS BEEN BURNING (1949, Mizoguchi) a Janus Films title, playing at Center for Japanese Studies as "permission: Janus/Criterion".

WHEN A WOMAN ASCENDS THE STAIRS (1960, Naruse) Listed on Center for Japanese Studies as "permission: Janus Films".

STREET OF SHAME (1956, Mizoguchi) a Janus Films title, playing at American Cinematheque and Center for Japanese Studies as "permission: Janus/Criterion".

LIFE OF OHARU (1952, Mizoguchi) a Janus Films title, at Center for Japanese Studies as "permission: Janus/Criterion".

KILL! (1968, Okamoto) Showing up on Film Forum and says it's being distributed by Janus Films.

SAMURAI SAGA (1959, Inagaki) Showing up on Film Forum and says it's being distributed by Janus Films.

SAMURAI REBELLION (1967, Kobayashi) A Janus Films title, Showing up on Film Forum and says it's being distributed by Janus Films.

SWORD OF THE BEAST (1965, Gosha) Patrick Macias at asiandvdforum is doing the liner notes and said that Criterion will be putting it out later this year.

(From a Criterion Forum thread, which can only be accessed after registering)

18. WillardK

WillardK Second Unit

I'm guessing that the Naked commentary is the very same that has aired on IFC and the same which was included on a previous non-Criterion dvd as it's difficult to imagine an improved version. Now... where oh where is Life Is Sweet and High Hopes?

Great news also about An Angel at My Table, but where oh where oh where is Sweetie?!!!

19. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

That track originated on Criterion's laserdisc, so I think safe to say they'll be using it again.

DJ

20. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Producer

Thanks, Gordon, right you are! I neglected to click on the titles...:b

Ted