What's new

Criterion's September releases (1 Viewer)

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Wow.... the Fassbinder... just wow.

After having nothing but the relatively obscure (but brilliant) "Whity" on DVD for the first few years of the format, the amount of Fassbinder on DVD has just exploded in the last year. Nearly an embarrassment of riches!

Now, if we can only get a "Berlin Alexanderplatz" boxset... ;)

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure about getting Knife In The Water, as there is a 4-disc Polanski boxset coming out in a few months in Britain from Anchor Bay, so I'm not sure about getting it. Hmmm.
It is being released on August 25th for 39.95 in the UK. I'll be buying this set for sure.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
My only minor quibble as that they will probably package the Fassbinder set like they did with the Truffaut set.

Quite frankly, it's a bitch for those of us who prefer to alphabetize by film title.

Nonetheless, I will of course by the box at the first possible opportunity.

Now, if we can only get a "Berlin Alexanderplatz" boxset...
*drool*

Ah, the stuff that dreams are made of.

When that film hits DVD, I will be thrilled, not only because I will finally get to own it, but also because so many more people will finally have the opportunity to see it.

Agee Bassett

Supporting Actor
Cover art for The Devil and Daniel Webster is up.

Can't say I'm pleased. Nothing like the superb covers for Knife in the Water and the Fassbinder set. Of course, the movie's the thing. :emoji_thumbsup:

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
As I've said many times, I'm not really one who gives much thought to covers, but I have to say that I think the cover for The Devil and Daniel Webster looks pretty funky (that's good funky).

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
I like the cover for The Devil and Daniel Webster.

I don't understand the love for the cover of Knife in the Water. I think it's pretty damn ugly myself.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
It's perfect for the old-fashioned folktale feel of the movie - it looks just like an old paperback book. It's absolutely gorgeous!

Agee Bassett

Supporting Actor
Cover art brought to you by Putnam...

Actually, I was hoping for something a little more in the style of old 19th century etchings to capture the essence of the story's New England folk-mythological elements.

Anyone know what William Blake's doing these days? :D

Edit: Just found this. A cover illustration in that style would be absolutely perfect!

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
My only minor quibble as that they will probably package the Fassbinder set like they did with the Truffaut set.
If you mean the packaging itself Jon Mulvaney has confirmed that the Bergman box will consist of 4 separate keepcases and I sure hope the Fassbinder box will be the same way.

-D

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I just got an e-mail reply from Mulvaney:

Dear Gordon,

KNIFE IN THE WATER is 1.33:1. Our transfer was approved by Polanski.

Thanks,
JM
1.66:1 didn't become the European standard until the late Sixties - especially on non-French/Italian productions. A lot of Bergman's early Sixties films are 1.33:1.

But the Anchor Bay UK region 2 edition will be 1.66:1 anamorphic and it will be interesting to see how it fares matted. I guess Polanski prefers 1.33:1 - Anchor Bay are probably not aware of this.

Gordy

Simon_Lepine

Supporting Actor
The Knife in the Water SRP went up to 39.95, but some sites like DDD still haven't caught up with it. Not sure if they'll honor the price, but it's still available for 21.56 at DDD.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I love Criterion. But, man, do I not get their pricing structure! 2-disc sets have a $39.95 SRP, but The Devil And Daniel Webster - 1-disc is also $39.95. Or is that a 2-disc, too? There doen't seem to be enough extras to make it a 2-disc. Over here in Britain, it is hard to get Devil And Daniel for less than £25.00/$38.75 - not much of a reduction. If it is a 1-disc, I'll just purchase it from an online US site for $20-25/£13-16.00, which is a much fairer price - even though it will be a GREAT, MUST-HAVE Criterion!

But momma didn't raise no fool, Jack! :laugh:

Gordy

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
Quote:

"The Fassbinder will apparently be in the same Monterey Pop/Antoine Doinel digipack style."

"That would really suck. Has Mulvaney confirmed this ?"

---

I think the packaging of the Truffaut set is very nice. The only problem would be that it's not the same as the rest...

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
Gordy:

You can get The Devil And Daniel Webster for GBP 20.99 (including shipping) at CDWOW (can't give a direct link, it'll be GBP 1,- more expensive):

http://www.cd-wow.com/promotion.php?...27-70423-39833

Or for GBP 17,50 (excluding shipping) at Amazon.ca:

http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/tg/...104065-1941934

You can also use one of these coupons to get an even better price. My "advice" would be to order another title with it to qualify for a "CAD 10,- off" coupon, and choose the second shipping option. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks