Criterion's September releases

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jon Robertson, Jun 29, 2003.

1. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

2. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Agh! YES! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I had a feeling that Daniel Webster would be released this year. Criterion have been working on it for a long time now, and I am totally ripped about it's arrival on DVD; brilliant, brilliant film - and it's the 106-minute version! Hoo-hah! Wow, two great Walter Huston films coming in September!

I'm not sure about getting Knife In The Water, as there is a 4-disc Polanski boxset coming out in a few months in Britain from Anchor Bay, so I'm not sure about getting it. Hmmm.

Cheers, Jon, you just made my day! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Gordy

3. Jon Robertson

Indeed - two of my most anticipated Criterion releases for a few years now have been The Honeymoon Killers and The Devil and Daniel Webster - and they're both in sight!!

4. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

Great news re:Devil and Daniel Webster & Knife in the Water [​IMG] I'll be picking up both.

I'll pass on the Fassbinder set.

5. Agee Bassett

Agee Bassett Supporting Actor

The Devil and Daniel Webster

YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!

[​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

6. Jon Robertson

Agee - it appears they did get the ultra-rare fine-grain preview print from the Dieterle estate! Can't wait to see the deleted/alternate sequences, and the full-length version of the film taken from beautiful 35mm elements! [​IMG]

7. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Is that where the print came from - Dieterle's estate? Amazing, all those years, he had it! Were dupes made from that print for any recent theatrical re-release? Or is the Criterion DVD a exclusive?

This is one of year's very best classic releases, no question about it. Glorious! [​IMG]

Gordy

8. Agee Bassett

Agee Bassett Supporting Actor

Gordon: You can find more on the Dieterle estate discovery in this thread from awhile back:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=50692

Jon: You can count me among those who will be on pins and needles for the next three months in anticipation of this release. I'm stoked beyond belief about this announcement. I've followed The Devil and Daniel Webster's progress to DVD right from the beginning in October of 2001, and now to see it finally come to fruition is a cause for celebration indeed. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. JulianK

JulianK Supporting Actor

10. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Thanks, Agee! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Can't wait to see the cover-art!

Gordy

11. Brian PB

Brian PB Supporting Actor

Good detective work, Jon (as usual). I'll be getting all three of these (and the three Warner SEs just announced, and Koch Lorber's La Dolce vita--if it comes to pass). September is gonna cost me a lot of money.

I've never seen The Devil and Daniel Webster, but from what I've read about it, I'm excited to get it.

thanks.

12. Deepak Shenoy

Deepak Shenoy Supporting Actor

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    I will be getting all three as well. Yeah, September is going to be expensive ...

-D

13. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Screenwriter

This announcement is from a UK site - will we get Devil and Daniel Webster in region one?

14. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor

The UK site was referring to Criterion releases, which are only offered in the US and Canada. Unlike those in R1, most film buffs in other regions have multi-region players, which makes this news of interest to those outside the US.

15. Craig Beam

Craig Beam Screenwriter

Craig Beam
    Finally! My friend Bill and I have been waiting anxiously for this title for a long time.... he was kind enough to show me his VHS copy of the restored edition a few years back (I hadn't seen it before), and he made me an instant fan. This is great news!

16. Rain

Rain Producer

Three more must-haves for me.

Jeez, I gotta start looking for a better paying job. [​IMG]

17. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

Great news, the previous Balhaus' and Wender's commentaries on Fassbinder discs are excellent, so having them together on one track should be quite something.

I'll pick up Devil And Daniel Webster too based on Agee's tireless exhortations, but the Fassbinder Trilogy is the Criterion release of the year for me.

18. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

Here are some covers. The "Maria Braun" artwork is decent, the others I don't care for - especially "Knife in the Water".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Brian PB

Brian PB Supporting Actor

I think Criterion's cover artwork recently has been outstanding, & these four are no exception. Excellent.

The posted specs on Fassbinder's BRD Trilogy set are truly mindblowing---looks like it might even surpass their excellent Adventures of Antoine Doinel box set. I can hardly wait.

20. Ali B

Ali B Second Unit

Man, such an expensive buying period! I've still got to pick up Hable Con Ella and Fear Eats the Soul and alongs comes the Fassbinger set, a boat load of Kieslowski in R2, the R2 Vigo set and Anochor Bay's R2 Polanski set! Need... More... Money...