1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Criterion's P&P I Know Where I'm Going?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim_K, Mar 9, 2002.

1. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

I've never seen the film so my question is How does it compare to the other P&P classics? Is it worth it?
    I need to be convinced before I pick this one up because I hate buying something I haven't seen. Renting is not an option in this case nor is it likely to be on TCM in the near future.
    I'm aslo hesitant because I've been on a Criterion buying orgy the past few weeks. I've picked up the new Notorious & Rebecca titles, the Preston Sturges classics Lady Eve & Sullivan's Travels and Powell & Pressberger's The Red Shoes & Black Narcissus along with my preorder of Rashomon. I've also got my eye on that 8 1/2 set! [​IMG]
    What drug do they put in these cases? I think I'm addicted to Criterion! Do they have a help line?!! [​IMG]

2. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Cinematographer
    Supporter

Jim-
    I have yet to buy this DVD, but I want to, and
    did rent it from www.netflix.com
    The Criterion DVD features:
    --Audio essay by film historian Ian Christie.
    --Behind-the-scenes stills, narrated by Thelma Schoonmaker Powell
    --The 1994 documentary, I Know Where I'm Going! Revisited, by Mark Cousins
    --Excerpts from Michael Powell's 1937 feature The Edge of The World and 1978 documentary, Return to the Edge of the World
    --Photo essay by I Know Where I'm Going! aficionado Nancy Franklin, who explores the modern locations of the film
    --Home movies of Michael Powell's Scottish expedition, narrated by Thelma Schoonmaker Powell
    For me personally, I love the look of Black Narcissus and The Red Shoes, and I Know Where I am Going does not have that same look,
    as it was shot in black and white, and not by Jack Cardiff.
    Having said that, it is a good film about a woman with
    more determination than common sense.
    I'll be buying it, but it is not high on my priority list.
    Hope this helps.
    Mark

3. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

It is different from the other P&P titles, but I liked it quite a bit, especially after listening to the commentary track. My review of the disc is here

4. Sam Owens

Sam Owens Stunt Coordinator

One more isn't going to hurt... [​IMG]
    This is one of Criterion's best discs (and I own thirty of the blighters) and it is a film well in keeping with P&P's excellent, if eccentic, output. If you've bought Red Shoes and Black Narcissus (and you have got Peeping Tom, haven't you!), you already appreciate P&P and as such this title will not represent a gamble. No, it doesn't have Cardiff as cinematographer, but it still looks spectacular and shouldn't be written off because it's B&W.

5. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

Thanks guys
    I know Cardiff wasn't involved in the film - That's not a problem. I also love good B&W photography in films. I was just concerned that it be in keeping with the usual P&P wild imagination.
    Sam,
    Welcome to the HTF [​IMG]
    I also don't have Peeping Tom yet. :b
    Thanks for reminding me. [​IMG]
    Jim

6. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Cinematographer
    Supporter

I love good black and white as much as the next guy,
    in fact, probably more so.
    Anyway, it is not as much a heighten reality that
    you see in films like The Red Shoes or
    Black Narcissus. It is really about
    a woman who goes off to marry one man and finds herself
    attracted to another. It is both more realistic
    and optomistic than the other two previously mentioned.
    The acting is excellent, and the cinematography is
    beautiful too.
    Mark

7. Rain

Rain Producer

I don't think of th film as being that different than other P&P films. Obviously, it's a different story, yes, but the trademark P&P touches are there. The film, like their others, has a certain fairy tale quality to it. If you are a fan, I'd get it.

Despite Mr. Cardiff not being involved, the film is beautifully shot and the DVD is pretty good.

My only small gripe is: Why didn't Criterion do some restoration work on the images of the P&P titles, as they have with some other films?