Criterion's Knife in Water - no fast forward?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jonathan W, Sep 30, 2003.

1. Jonathan W

Jonathan W Agent

Great disk, but on my Panasonic player, the disk will only skip to chapters-- it won't fast forward or fast reverse. The documentary introduction by Roman Polanski can be fast forwarded. Does anyone know about the decision to author the disk in this way?

2. Kevin Leonard

Kevin Leonard Supporting Actor

I read somewhere (in a local weekly, I believe) that this was done at the request of Polanski; somewhat similar to David Lynch and his dislike of chapters. I'll see if I can find it for you.

3. Matthew^Johnson

I read the same thing on mondodigital dot com under the section on Polanski. It offered no explanation of why Polanski wanted it this way though.

(sorry, I apparently cannot link until I have a few more posts under my belt)

4. Brian PB

Brian PB Supporting Actor

This has been discussed at length in the Criterion Collection Forum.

Curiously, Anchor Bay UK's recent release (Region 2 PAL) of the 4-disc Roman Polanski Collection (which also contains Knife in the Water and the eight shorts, as well as Repulsion and Cul-de-sac) does not prohibit fast forwarding. In the liner notes, there is a "special thanks to Roman Polanski", so I suspect he was as involved in this release as he was with Criterion's.

Perhaps the smaller Criterion was more willing to accomodate his wishes.

Great film, BTW, whichever version you purchase.

5. Jeff Kuykendall

Jeff Kuykendall Stunt Coordinator

I have the UK version, and is the interview with Polanski on the Criterion version different from the interview footage in the UK one??

6. jonathan_little

jonathan_little Stunt Coordinator

I can't wait until certain directors decide that they want the stop button disabled. I also hope that future formats will allow them to disable the power button on the player as well.

7. RichSL

RichSL Agent

8. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

The outrage: First forced trailers. Now forced movies.

[​IMG]

9. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

And people wonder why I get irritated by auteur mind-sets.

10. Brian PB

Brian PB Supporting Actor

I haven't seen the Criterion transfer yet, but the Anchor Bay UK version is absolutely beautiful. I look forward to a comparison at DVD Beaver, but doubt that the R1 will best the R2 by much. A win-win situation.

11. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

12. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

Ah good ole Lew. Thanks for correcting that oversight. My mind functions half the time. What would I do without ya? [​IMG]

I think artist would've been more of an appropriate term than auteur (at least for what I'm trying to get at [​IMG] ). Of course, I view myself as nothing more than a simpelton craftsmen. [​IMG]

13. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Ah, the simpleton craftsman from the hills of Eastern Kentucky and the jungles of Thailand; but with the exceedingly large vocabulary. [​IMG]

Sell that nonsense to someone who’s buying. [​IMG]

14. MichaelBryant

MichaelBryant Stunt Coordinator

Not letting someone fast forward through a DVD is both self indulgent and pretentious. I'm beginning to wonder how sane some of these directors are.

15. RichSL

RichSL Agent

Quote:I haven't seen the Criterion transfer yet, but the Anchor Bay UK version is absolutely beautiful. I look forward to a comparison at DVD Beaver, but doubt that the R1 will best the R2 by much. A win-win situation.

Quite true...although the R2 is very good the Criterion is better and as i own both i can confirm this and also substantiate the comments made here:

http://www.mondo-digital.com/polanski.html