What's new

Criterion's JULES AND JIM faulty, with accidentally reversed shots! (1 Viewer)

Rick Z.

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ricardo
Criterion´s Jules and Jim is flawed with accidentally reversed shots when compared to the Fox DVD:

from DVDBeaver:

"I want to call your attention to a huge blunder on Criterion’s “Jules and Jim". There is a sequence in which, incredibly, left and right are reversed. The reversal does not occur on the Fox/Lorber version. I will use the Criterion timings to describe the problem. Note when I say “left” or “right” I mean in relation to the frame as we look at it.

At about 56’14” the movie cuts to a shot of Jules and Jim sitting on a meadow. As we look at the frame Jim is on the left, Jules to the right, and there is a little bridge to the left of the frame. Albert walks up to them and sits to the left of Jim (as we look at the frame). So, around 56’56”, Albert, Jim, and Jules are sitting on the meadow left to right in that order. Both Criterion and Fox are the same here. The shot continues with Jim telling a war story.

At 58’56” cut to Catherine in the window. On Criterion, the window is on the left, while on Fox it’s on the right. It’s hard to know which is correct, but one of them is reversed!

At 58’59” cut back to Albert, Jim, and Jules sitting on the meadow. On Criterion their order is now reversed, with Jules on the left of the trio and Jim on the right. Fox has to original, correct order. Note also that the Criterion truncates Werner in the middle of his face, while Fox has all of him. Criterion has clearly reversed the shot!

At 59’01” cut to Moreau in the window. Again Criterion has Moreau/window on the left, while it’s still on the right on Fox.

At 59’04” Albert walks from the meadow over the little bridge and then to the house. On Criterion, Jules is still sitting to the left of Jim (left and right still reversed), and the little bridge is now on the right of the frame, clearly reversed! Fox has the correct orientation (Jules to the right, bridge to the left).

Also, the cropping on Criterion is much worse on Criterion than Fox on the left and right. You can see this in the meadow scene – Fox has more space to the left and right of the trio as they sit in the meadow. Further, the Criterion suffers from a problem that exists on so many Criterion DVDs, namely that the black levels fluctuate. Take a look at the night scene between Catherine and Jim around 1hr. 05’ The Fox does not have this problem. Criterion seems to have a real problem with quality control."

Opinions?

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
This was discovered soon after it's release.

The error was obvious and it's surprising Criterion didn't catch it. They didn't seem interested in correcting the issue and just swept it under the rug.

Rick Z.

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ricardo
what is truly surprising is that the even the film's original Director of Photography didn´t catch it! Given the fact that he approved the transfer.

Vincent-P

Second Unit
I recently E-mailed Jon Mulvaney asking for an update about this and he never responded to me. Until they fix it, I will not purchase the DVD, which kills me because I was waiting a long time with baited breath for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation199
Recent bookmarks