What's new

Criterions in Canada, prices improving at amazon.ca: Tokyo Story (1 Viewer)

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Just thought I'd mention this, they seem to have lowered many of their Criterion prices in the last week, all the ones I looked at anyway. Many are very close to what you can get in the U.S., even if you don't include the shipping cost, so could end up being cheaper.

For instance, Tokyo Story (upcoming soon, acclaimed as one of the finest movies ever) is cheaper on pre-order at amazon.ca than any place I've seen online in the U.S. I guess hell froze over... It is very cheap for a 2-disc Criterion, Tenenbaums and Traffic excepted, and they are far more "mainstream". Can't import it for this price, and the bastards made it cheap enough by a few cents that doesn't qualify for free shipping by itself :). I'm sure you can find something else you'd like...for instance, the LOA Superbit is cheaper on pre-order than it'll be in the normal B&M's by a buck or two (if you can wait...hey, you've seen it a bunch of times anyway).

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Wow, that's close to what it was often going for on eBay when I got mine (used).

I have noticed these days around here that a lot of OOP and hard-to-find discs have been turning up...I wondered in my other post about that if somebody cleaned out a warehouse.

[I just ordered a "rare" DVD for Cdn$21 from amazon.ca...and they added a Cdn$21 "surcharge" to it...what the hell is *that* all about? The pricing is more than a bit misleading, I'll skip it, thought the price was too good to be true.]

I have bought maybe half my Criterions in the U.S., but most lately locally. There are some U.S. online retailers who ship very discretely, and I avoid the 15% taxes and the $5 CCRA handling charge, comes straight to the mailbox. If I could rely on that happening all the time, I'd get them all in the U.S.

Things are looking up though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks