Criterion's Eclipse line

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
To me a smart move on Criterion's part.

They flat out get out more films which I'm sure will be well received particularly at the price point they are discussing.

It also helpful from a perception standpoint. Eclipse (alone with the HVE titles) should reduce the complaining about Criterion being the over-priced content provider. Now they can make a better case that there are more options for the budget conscious.

Derek Estes

Stunt Coordinator
Elio Petri's films are sadly MIA. I Giorni contati is a masterpiece, that has never been properly released in the US outside of arthouse retrospectives, it is sometimes translated as Numbered Days. This is exactly the type of film that will benefit from Eclipse. Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion is also in need of a DVD release, but I would bet this would deserve Criterion treatment.

ChristianB

Stunt Coordinator
Criterion:

March 13, 2007
Fires On The Plain (Kon Ichikawa)

The Burmese Harp (Kon Ichikawa)

March 20, 2007:
The Naked City (Jules Dassin)

Eclipse:

March 27, 2007
Early Bergman: Eclipse Series 1

5-Disc set includes: Torment, Crisis, Port Of Call, Thirst and To Joy

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

Excellent list! I've never even seen those, been looking for them for years. I think this will be their first release, on video, in any format.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
This is great news, but why did they call it Eclipse when there already is a company called BCI Eclipse.

Looking forward to the early Bergmans!

Martin Teller

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Teller
I just died and went to heaven. Two AWESOME Ichikawas, and the only one of those Bergmans I've seen is To Joy (which is pretty damn good).

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Are there links available for any of this? I'd like to see some more details.

Fires on the Plain was one of the new ones in that ginormous Janus Films boxset, so hopefully some more of those will be released separately soon as well, including Le Jour Se Leve.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I'm excited about this new line. The first thing that came to my mind was the possibility of a set with the remaining Jacques Tati features (Jour de Fete, Trafic, and Parade) or maybe even short collections. It would be neat if they got the rights to the Max Fleischer cartoons that Paramount and Lionsgate seem to have no interest in. Also, maybe they could get a hold on the Laurel & Hardy films that are getting crappy treatment from Hallmark.

Jeff Newcomb

Second Unit

I wouldn't count on titles that they have to license from other companies showing up on Eclipse. That costs lots of money. Eclipse looks to mainly be a venue for them to release some of their Janus Films holdings that they can't justify pouring money into for new supplements and restorations.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Real Name
Patrick McCart

M. Hulot's Holiday, Mon oncle, and Playtime are all part of the Janus Films library, so I assume the other three films are (since all six were released on laserdisc by Criterion).

AlexNoir

Agent
I hope they can release more of Jean-Pierre Melville's stuff; the only films of his on DVD are the three Criterions and Un Flic.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich

Totally agree. I've picked up some films of his on the secondary market but each time I do that I think ... why aren't Melville's films given more attention?

Eclipse would seem to be the perfect group for that.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I know Lionsgate or someone like that are coming out with an Early Hitchcock set early next year, but I'm hoping Criterion can release the bulk of them via their Eclipse line. No extras are okay, as long as the image is as good as many in the German set of early Hitch films.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Regarding Melville, Rialto Pictures has Le Doulos listed as a future release on their website, so that's likely to end up as a regular Criterion disc at some point.

AlexNoir

Agent

Excellent; outside of Army of Shadows (another Rialto pic I'm awaiting word from Criterion on), that's the Melville I most want to see.

Ronn.W

Second Unit
While I'm still interested in this line, and I think it's great they realized these films need to come out, even if they don't have the same Criterion quality; I can't help but be a bit saddened that Eclipse isn't going to be the "cult classic" line that it was originally rumored to be.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huzaifa