What's new

Criterion's Children of Paradise... Graphic review... (1 Viewer)

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
Amazon sent my copy of Belle du Jour with Children of Pradise out on Saturday, so it definitely hasn't been delayed.

Juan C Toro

Stunt Coordinator
If you want to see another masterpiece also released by Criterion, with a magnificent restoration, check Jules Dassin "Du Rififi chez les hommes", or as it is known in the US, "Rififi". You will not believe your eyes!!!

JC

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I have to disagree about Rififi, which I found pretty disappointing. Check out the supplements if you want to see how that should have looked.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
8 1/2 looks pretty amazing too. I never would have watched any of these on broadcast TV (assuming they ever got broadcast) from crappy prints, but seeing them with the richness of the black and white photography is simply wonderful.

Juan C Toro

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff and Gary:
I have not seen yet the DVD for Les Enfants du Paradis, so you must be right about the transfer being superior to the one on Rififi.
I know Rififi is not perfect, but I was very impressed by the way the movie looks. Also, when I said "you won't believe your eyes", I was not only talking about the transfer, but also about the movie.
I love French cinema, and I tough myself French so I do not have to be subjected to bad dubbings or questionable subtitles. So I will be picking as well Les Enfants du Paradis (although I am so broke).
JC

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks