Criterion's breathtaking new website is now up!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jon Robertson, Aug 23, 2001.

1. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

It contains everything you could want to know about past and upcoming releases (even transfer details and essays for discs that haven't been released yet!)
    It's up at the old address: www.criterionco.com (thought it wasn't, but it is!)
    Probably the best website by a DVD company I can think of!
    [Edited last by Jon Robertson on August 23, 2001 at 01:22 PM]

2. Sean Anderson

Sean Anderson Auditioning

3. Burke Strickland

Burke Strickland Second Unit

Sean -- that comma after the "www" should be a period. But the link (with a period instead of a comma) does now get redirected to the Criterion site.
    Burke

4. Jon Robertson

Hang on a second - it didn't send me straight there a minute ago!

5. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    Let's hope they update it regularly so that it does not devolve into the "cobweb site" that they had become.
    Plus One: I noticed that the "About the Transfer" section for Chasing Amy no longer claims it was supervised by DP David Klein
    Minus One: They are missing a few announced titles such as The Ruling Class
    Regards,
    ------------------
    Ken McAlinden
    Livonia, MI USA

6. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

Lets hope that this site, which apparently utilizes Microsofts abhorrent ASP technology isn't as dog-slow as the rest of the asp sites out there.

7. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Too bad that it doesn't display properly with Opera. A shame since the site in itself doesn't seem to be using any really esoteric IE-only features (something they are to be applauded for, btw - too many sites these days just ignore everything that isn't IE).
    ------------------
    /Kimmo

8. AdrianJ

AdrianJ Supporting Actor

I wish they would put up a detailed list of all their laser discs like they have for their DVDs.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Adrian Jones

9. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

10. Hayes Preston

Hayes Preston Stunt Coordinator

There is a lot of good information, I especially like to see upcoming releases, but I don't think it qualifies as breathtaking.
    And it is dog slow!

11. Jon Robertson

Oh, all right, then...COMPARATIVELY breath-taking, when you look at the old site! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Besides, I can't think of anything else they could have put on the website, can you?
    [Edited last by Jon Robertson on August 23, 2001 at 05:12 PM]

12. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

13. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Hmmmm, I'm not able to access the new site. I just tried the above link and it takes me to the old site which apparently hasn't been updated since April. Any ideas?
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    "Death's at the bottom of everything, Martins - leave death to the professionals!"
    "Mind if I use that line in my next Western?"

14. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    It's an improvement.
    quote: I can't think of anything else they could have put on the website, can you?[/quote]
    Yes. I would like to see them post accurate information on upcoming releases on their own well-maintained website FIRST.
    For example, I've seen notes at thedigitalbits.com, dvdfile.com and www.criteriondvd.com about the upcoming Hitchcock Criterion releases. But the information is sometimes contradictory. Dvdfile.com says that Notorious will be a 2-disc set with MSRP of $49.95. CriterionDVD.com doesn't say it's 2-disc (it does say that for Rebecca), and MSRP is given as $39.95.
    All this confusion could be avoided if they would just post the accurate information they are willing to make available on their website instead of leaking it to the various news sites. If something isn't final they could just mark it as such or put "TBD." This shouldn't be such a guessing game.
    By the way, the new website doesn't appear to even acknowledge these planned titles yet.
    Here's a link directly to the new homepage URL:
    http://criterion.onepine.com/asp/index.asp
    [Edited last by Glenn Heberle on August 23, 2001 at 05:53 PM]

15. Dwayne

Dwayne Supporting Actor

Although it's comparatively better than the old site, it is noticeably slow (even with a DSL connection). The most disturbing thing I noticed is that there is no mention of Trainspotting whatsoever. I emailed John Mulvaney via their site to inquire whether or not they still plan visiting this title. I wish they do. I have been itching to watch this film but I don't wish to buy the barebones Disney release knowing that there may be a Criterion edition on it's way. Here's hoping......
    ------------------
    -Dwayne
    "And vidi films I would."

16. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Really, someone should tell Criterion that it's possible to update a website; you don't have to completely redesign the site in order to change something. This is I think the 4th or 5th incarnation of their website, and they almost never get updated but get completely revamped after the site is old and moldy. I've stopped looking at them for reliable information; www.criteriondvd.com is much better, despite being unofficial.
    ------------------
    "This movie has warped my fragile little mind."

17. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Heh, disposable websites! When they get old & moldy, just get a whole new site! [​IMG]
    Seriously though, it's good to see it updated. There is even a place to submit disc problem reports.
    -Dave
    ------------------
    DVD List

18. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I agree with Mark that they should hire someone to keep it updated regularly (me?). The new site looks better, but still could use some work, especially since the special features are all additional clicks away. I like the old LD site that had all the disc info available on one page.
    It's still slow.
    ------------------
    Zardoz Online | Burt Lancaster is The Swimmer | dOc

19. Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux Screenwriter

Jonathan Perregaux
    Useless, as usual, if you're interested in learning about upcoming releases such as the tasty new Alfred Hitchcock triplet they have waiting in the wings.
    ------------------

20. AdrianJ

AdrianJ Supporting Actor

Steve,
    Just hit refresh or reload on your browser. I had the same problem that the page had been cached through my proxy server. Try clicking on some the links on the old site first. It's lots of fun. [​IMG] But refreshing the page should bring in the new site.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Adrian Jones