What's new

Criterions at Netflix (1 Viewer)

Tommy Ceez

Second Unit
Since Netflix lists CC nowhere in thier descriptions could we start a list of CC titles that they offer based upon your experience and knowledge of cover art. Also please list if theres additional value on a second disk that should not be missed.

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
Here are the ones I know they have...

Red Beard, Sanjuro, Yojimbo, Throne of Blood.

They don't seem to have...

Fear and Loathing, Straw Dogs...

In my experience, if it is only available on Criterion, Netflix will have it.
If they have an older, studio version (Straw Dogs) they will not stock the Criterion one.

Doug

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
The ones I've rented from them that were definitely Criterion:
  • The Unbearable Lightness of Being — although they may now have it mixed in with the MGM version.
  • The Seventh Seal

I'll post if I remember more.

My experience has been the same as Doug's - they have basically all the Criterions that don't have a non-Criterion counterpart. They have really improved their acquisitions of Criterion over the last year or so and always have the new releases on the street date. The wide availability of Criterions is one of my favorite things about Netflix.

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
OK, in addition to "Criterion only" DVDs I've run into Criterion edition of Charade (doesn't mean the Criterion is the only version they stock, not counting The Truth About Charlie).

danak

Second Unit
I'd really like to know if Robocop, Silence of the Lambs, The 39 Steps, and Rebecca are the Criterion versions or not. One just can't tell from the Netflix website.

The ones I'm pretty sure aren't the Criterion versions based on rental or the web description and screen shot:
Alexander Nevsky
Armageddon
Beauty and the Beast (1946 restored version; they do have the older Criterion version)
Billy Liar (doesn't have the title at all)
Blood of a Poet (doesn't have the title at all)
Bob Le Flambeaur (doesn't have the title at all)
Brazil
By Brakhage - An Anthology (doesn't have the title at all)
Charade
Day of Wrath (doesn't have the title at all)
Dead Ringers (doesn't have the title at all)
Double Suicide
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Fiend Without a Face
Gertrud (doesn't have the title at all)
Grey Gardens (doesn't have the title at all)
Hard Boiled
Ivan the Terrible Part 1
Ivan the Terrible Part 2
Juliet of the Spirits
The Killer
Life and Death of Colonel Blimp (doesn't have the title at all)
Love on the Run
Monty Python's Life of Brian
My Life as a Dog
My Man Godfrey
Notorious
Ordet (doesn't have the title at all)
Orpheus (doesn't have the title at all)
The Rock
Rushmore
Salesman (doesn't have the title at all)
The Scarlet Empress (doesn't have the title at all)
Sid & Nancy (doesn't have the title at all)
Spartacus
Spellbound
Stolen Kisses
Straw Dogs
Testament of Orpheus (doesn't have the title at all)
This Is Spinal Tap
W.C. Fields: Six Short Films

If anyone knows differently on the above list, I would appreciate the correction

Dana

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
They do have The Seventh Seal and The Seven Samurai from Criterion.

(Speaking of CC discs, why the hell didn't I buy Dead Ringers when I had the chance?)

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
Dana, as I posted before, the Charade that I rented from Netflix was in fact the Criterion. We can add Diabolique (1955) to the list of the ones they have, but I believe that's a CC-only release. Also, the Robocop that I rented was CC as well. However that was a while ago:
  1. Robocop — rented January, 2000.
  2. Charade — rented June, 2000.
  3. The Unbearable Lightness of Being — rented August, 2002.[/list=1]

It's possible that by now all the CC discs of the above three movies have been replaced with other editions.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> I'd really like to know if Robocop, Silence of the Lambs, The 39 Steps, and Rebecca are the Criterion versions or not. One just can't tell from the Netflix website.

If you poke around more, you can figure most of them out. Look at the reviews for hints like "this Criterion version" (39 Steps- 2nd review):
http://www.netflix.com/MovieDisplay?...&nfso=60174178

The Rebecca page mentions a bonus disc at the bottom. Sounds like a possible Criterion- how many 2-disc editions of this movie are there?
http://www.netflix.com/MovieDisplay?...72&trkid=11816

The first 2 you mention look like Criterions from the cover shots. (Unless the other versions have the same covers.)

Sometimes you can also tell from looking at the features list.

Why do I suddenly feel like a CSI team member?

If you happen to get a non-Criterion version, you can always replace it with a Criterion disc before returning it, to enhance the experience for other members. :D

danak

Second Unit
I did forget to mention that there is one title listed as a Criterion - The Killers double disc set

Robocop's non-Criterion Director's Cut and Criterion edition have nearly identical covers. Netflix cuts off the very top in its image so it's impossible to tell which edition they have

Dana

TommyT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom
Robocop's non-Criterion Director's Cut and Criterion edition have nearly identical covers. Netflix cuts off the very top in its image so it's impossible to tell which edition they have.
Actually the Criterion & the new vers from MGM/UA have completely different covers:

Top one is the MGM, bottom is Crit. Keep in mind Netflix may be displaying the Crit Ed for rental but you might wind up getting the MGM vers. I just ordered Sid & Nancy from NF expecting the Crit Ed & got the MGM/UA Edition. I was happy to finally see the film but the Crit Ed had some awesome extras I really wanted to see.

Criterion was forced to stop producing both RoboCop & Sid several years ago. Happens quite a bit, actually. Basically, they lose the rights to produce their vers of a film because the original studio (or the one that has since bought the legal rights to own the film) wants to re-release it. Therefore, the orig studio will not only tell Crit to stop producing it but they'll recall it from stores. I was lucky enough to stumble across the Crit vers of RoboCop & The Unbearable Lightness of Being in my local Media Play, I guess they missed 'em both when they were recalled. My Crit copy of Silence/Lambs was a bit harder to find, I had to order it thru Kim's Video in NYC & it must've been the last copy on the planet!

The part that pisses me off royally is the big studios almost ALWAYS discard the great Crit extras & give us denuded versions. Seems that MGM is notoriously guilty here, they've also recalled many others. A full list of Criterion's "Out of Print" collection is here.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> The part that pisses me off royally is the big studios almost ALWAYS discard the great Crit extras & give us denuded versions.

I thought that was because Criterion won't license them to use those extras.

TommyT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom

Actually, you're probably right. Still, it irks me when they have to recall their DVDs.

danak

Second Unit
TommyT,
Thanks for the mention that Netflix had "Sid & Nancy". They must have just recently added that because it wasn't there other times I had looked.

It really annoys me that Netflix won't label many of their special edition titles (whether Criterions or other studios' special editions) as such because it makes it harder to determine which version of the title they have.

Dana

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
criterion doesnt recall their dvd's. when they lose the rights they just don't make them anymore. not a recall. copies on shelves and in warehaouse will still get sold.

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
It really annoys me that Netflix won't label many of their special edition titles (whether Criterions or other studios' special editions) as such because it makes it harder to determine which version of the title they have.
They used to do it and then they abandoned the approach, I don't know why but my guess would be it made more sense from business standpoint.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks