Criterion's 8 1/2 - full specs right here

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jon Robertson, Sep 2, 2001.

1. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

From Criterion's Coming Soon page: http://www.criterionco.com/asp/coming_soon.asp
    One of the greatest films about film ever made, Federico Fellini’s 8 1/2 turns one man’s artistic crisis into a grand epic of the cinema. Guido Anselmi (Marcello Mastroianni) is a director whose film—and life—is collapsing around him. An early working title for the film was La Bella Confusione (The Beautiful Confusion), and Fellini’s masterpiece is exactly that: a shimmering dream, a circus, and a magic act. The Criterion Collection is proud to present the 1963 Academy Award™ winner for Best Foreign-Language Film—one of the most written about, talked about, and imitated movies of all time—in a beautifully restored new digital transfer.
    Disc two features a rarely seen film Fellini made for television in 1969, Fellini: A Director’s Notebook. This “notebook” of ideas, sketches, and unfinished projects provides a fascinating window on Fellini’s creative process. Also, Nino Rota: Between Cinema and Concertgives a compelling portrait of the understated maestro behind the music of Fellini’s films.
    SPECIAL FEATURES
    Disc One
    New digital transfer of restored film elements, enhanced for 16x9 televisions
    Screen-specific audio essay featuring commentary by film critic and Fellini friend Gideon Bachmann and NYU Professor of Film Antonio Monda
    Introduction by Terry Gilliam, director of Brazil and 12 Monkeys
    Booklet featuring essays by Fellini, longtime Fellini collaborator and critic Tullio Kezich, and Alexander Sesonske
    Theatrical trailer
    New and improved English subtitles
    Digital image restoration
    Optimal image quality: RSDL dual-layer edition
    Disc Two
    Fellini: A Director’s Notebook, a 52-minute film by Federico Fellini
    Nino Rota: Between Cinema and Concert, a 48-minute documentary
    Interviews with actress Sandra Milo (“Carla”), director Lina Wertmüller, whose career began on the set of 8 1/2, and cinematographer Vittorio Storaro, who discusses the revolutionary art of Gianni di Venanzo
    Rare photographs from the collection of Gideon Bachmann
    Gallery of behind-the-scenes and production photos
    Optimal image quality: RSDL dual-layer edition

2. Alex Larman

Alex Larman Auditioning

It looks like yet another winner from Criterion. I'm especially pleased at the Terry Gilliam introduction; I believe he's doing one for the upcoming edition of Les Enfants du Paradis as well, which is something to look forward to.

3. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Sounds great! I just hope they lavish the same kind of attention on La Strada... [​IMG]
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    "Death's at the bottom of everything, Martins - leave death to the professionals!"
    "Mind if use that line in my next western?"

4. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

Does anyone have an idea when this will be released?
    Fourth quarter, early 2002 ??

5. Jussi Tarvainen

Jussi Tarvainen Second Unit

www.criteriondvd.com gives 11/13 as the release date. Who knows, maybe it'll actually turn out to be true.
    BTW, any news on Rashomon?
    ------------------
    French Knight: You don't frighten us, English pig dogs! Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person! I blow my nose at you, so-called "Arthur King," you and all your silly English K-nig-hts.
    -Monty Python And The Holy Grail

6. Tim Raffey

Tim Raffey Stunt Coordinator

And does anyone know the retail price? $50? $40?

7. Jon Robertson

It's $40 - check my link at the top of the page.

8. Tim Raffey

Tim Raffey Stunt Coordinator

Stupid me. (I just checked the criteriondvd.com link.)
    But that's nice news. Thanks.

9. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

Excellent, this is my favorite Fellini film so I have been eagerly awaiting this information.
    Too bad they didn't lavish the same attention on Rashomon
    ------------------
    "It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen"
    S&S Challenge: 72 ...25
    DVD BEAVER

My DVD Collection

10. Jon Robertson

That's not concrete. Many titles featured in the booklet have had serious overhauls in regards to special features - look at Haxan, Sisters and Coup de Torchon. Jon Mulvaney has described Rashomon as a "special edition" recently, so there is still hope.

11. Matt Giggey

Matt Giggey Stunt Coordinator

12. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

Rashomon an SE? I hadn't heard that. Excellent news if true and possibly the reason it hasn't been announced yet.
    ------------------
    "It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen"
    S&S Challenge: 72 ...25
    DVD BEAVER

My DVD Collection

13. Jon Robertson

Often, Criterion will announce a title, then either change the press release as more is added (Sisters - which was utterly bare bones originally) or just put stuff on the disc no-one expecting (the Cannes press conference & music video on Do The Right Thing, the Blob-a-bilia on The Blob).
    Given the outstanding treatment given to other Toho titles recently (Kwaidan, The Hidden Fortress), I think it's fair to assume that Criterion aren't going to screw this up, even if the special edition eventually doesn't materialise.
    [Edited last by Jon Robertson on September 04, 2001 at 04:49 PM]