Criterion's 2006 slate to include more Renoir, Welles and their first Ealing comedy

Discussion in 'DVD' started by John Hodson, Oct 28, 2005.

1. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    Quote from Narshty at www.thedvdforums.com :

The current R1 and R2 releases of the fabulous 'Kind Hearts' are a tad disappointing - looking forward to what Criterion will do with this title in particular.

2. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

I don't know, Anchor Bay's release of Kind Hearts was decent enough for me.

Criterion's release will have to be leaps & bounds better A/V wise with knock your socks off extra's for me to go double dipping for the umphunderedth time. We'll see I guess.

3. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    I was referring to the lack of any decent extras Jim; seeing as the original negative was destroyed, I agree that AB's transfer was fine.

4. DouglasBr

DouglasBr Stunt Coordinator

Anything with Alec Guinness that Criterion wants to improve, even by simply adding extras, will elicit money from my wallet. Heck, just about anything Ealing for that matter.

Anything they want to release new (ie Last Holiday, The Detective, Our Man in Havana, Little Dorrit, etc) will produce a similar effect.

5. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

No problem John, it just seemed you were impying that the A/V quality of the AB release had something to be desired.

On a side note, judging by Criterion's past releases it seems that the more lavish the extra's = the higher price point (39.99 or above). The lower price points (29.99) usually (not always) have a lack of supplements so I don't have high hopes re: extra's. But again we'll see.

6. Deepak Shenoy

Deepak Shenoy Supporting Actor

I am really excited about La Bete Humaine. Now Criterion just needs to release Le Jour Se Leve to complete my essential Gabin collection.

As for Kind Hearts and Coronets I am not sure what extras Criterion can come up with given that this is a lower-priced title. Since the AB versions of the Guiness comedies are more than adequate I wish Criterion had instead chosen to release something that is not yet available on DVD.

-D

7. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

I'm torn. On the one hand I feel that I should be excited that Criterion is finally putting out a movie, after a long drought, that I love - Kind Hearts. But then again, I'd be a lot more excited if I didn't already own it.

8. Elijah Sullivan

Elijah Sullivan Supporting Actor

This Arkadin release must be the one that Jonathan Rosenbaum assisted with that includes a couple different cuts of the film - including a new version closer to Welles's intent. It was supposed to come out this year, but next year sounds good, too. [​IMG]

Thanks, Criterion!

9. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

Since Criterion has been known to do double features of the same story like Kurosawa's Lower Depths and Renoir's Lower Depths or Siodmak's The Killers doubled with Siegel's The Killers, too bad they didn't double bill Renoir's La Bete Humaine with Fritz Lang's 1954 English language version called Human Desire with Glenn Ford and Gloria Grahame.

10. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    Am I right in thinking that the spine #'s should be 322, 324 and 325?

11. Deepak Shenoy

Deepak Shenoy Supporting Actor

I am sure they would have considered it if the rights to Human Desire were not owned by Sony/Columbia. When Sony released The Big Heat a few years ago I was hoping Human Desire would soon follow, but that hasn't happened yet.

-D

12. seanOhara

seanOhara Supporting Actor

Well it's great to see Welles' public domain titles finally getting the Criterion treatment, though Mr. Arkadin wouldn't be my first choice.

13. Mario Gauci

Mario Gauci Cinematographer

I haven't bought any Criterion discs for some time (not for lack of desirable titles though[​IMG]), so I'm grateful to John (and Jon[​IMG]) for bringing it to our attention - although, to be honest, only the Ealing classic came out of left field for me.

Although I'd have been happier if I didn't own all three already on PAL VHS[​IMG], I'm sure Criterion will finally do justice to MR. ARKADIN (1955), even if the amount of versions of it that will eventually be included is still unclear; as for LA BETE HUMAINE (1938), although by the looks of it, it won't be one of their top tier discs, I'm confident that - despite the unavailability for inclusion of HUMAN DESIRE (1954)[​IMG] - Criterion will be able to find some notable supplements which will make it worth an upgrade for me.

Just like George Kaplan, I'm rather torn on the issue of KIND HEARTS AND CORONETS (1949), though - while the upcoming Criterion edition is bound to be a definite improvement on the "old" Anchor Bay one, I wouldn't want that a definitive edition a` la WHISKY GALORE (1948; which I don't own yet[​IMG]) gets released on R2 soon after I've bought the Criterion!! John, what chances do you think are there that all major Ealing comedies will get such lavish 2-Disc treatment?

14. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John

Put it this way, I wouldn't bet against it, though whether there is enough material for more than two or three to get 2-disc SE treatment is a subject for debate; discs with a commentary, top notch transfers and a few extras is more likely. Criterion would have to pull out all the stops to top Optimum's superb 2-disc SE of Whisky Galore! in the UK. But it seems Criterion has access to the vast Studio Canal library, which is a lip-smacking prospect (Julian K has pointed out to me that amongst the titles they hold is Cross of Iron).

15. Richard>S

Richard>S Extra

Apologies if this is the wrong thread to post in, but wondering what titles Criterion have planned in 'revisiting' in 2006 (Besides Tati titles) in light of M,Wages Of Fear etc...

I wonder if they intend on supplying an English friendly COMPLETE version of Kwaidan...given that the recent French R2 is a substantially better transfer than the CC version and presents the film in it's full length?

16. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    Seven Samurai is still strongly rumored to be revisited.

17. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Producer

I strongly agree -- release unavailable films (Rivette! Eustache! The 47 Ronin Parts 1 & 2!) or at the very least re-release a film that was a travesty on DVD like any of Eric Rohmer's Six Moral Tales were on Fox-Lorber DVDs...

Ted

18. Charles H

Charles H Screenwriter

FMC is showing Lubitsch's CLUNY BROWN this afternoon. It seems like that would be a natural for a Criterion/Fox release!

19. Frank*C

Frank*C Extra

Well it looks like the Feb. Criterions will be:

La Bête Humaine - One of Jean Renoir's most successful films, La bête humaine stars icon Jean Gabin in a role that captured the dark mood of a nation. In this blend of poetic realism and film noir, Gabin plays a train engineer whose chance for love is doomed by the tainted blood of his forefathers. Based on the popular Emile Zola novel and filmed aboard the trains of Le Havre, Renoir delivers a suspenseful ride into the psyche of a working-class tragedy.

Cat: BET020
    Title: La Bête Humaine
    UPC: 0-37429-17382-4
    SRP: $29.95
    Prebook date: 1/10/06
    Street date: 2/14/06

Metropolitan - In an Upper East Side Manhattan apartment, a group of upwardly-mobile, twentysomething friends get together frequently to talk about social climbing, play bridge and discuss politics. Cynic Nick, philosophical Charlie, party girl Sally and Jane Austen-loving Audrey are joined by the much simpler Tom, who is critical of their way of life. A brilliant film of words and ideas, and one of the most important American independent films of the 1990s.

Cat: CC1620D
    Title: Metropolitan
    UPC: 7-15515-01702-2
    SRP: $39.95
    Prebook date: 1/10/06
    Street date: 2/14/06

Kind Hearts and Coronets - A humorous satire on the British aristocracy, and one of the most sophisticated black comedies ever filmed. Louis Manzzini's mother told him as a child about how she was rejected by her aristocratic D'Ascoyne family. Once an adult, Louis avenges her by becoming the next Duke of the family and murdering every potential successor to the title. Alec Guinness's deft handling of eight different roles earned him worldwide acclaim.

Cat: CC1619D
    Title: Kind Hearts and Coronets
    UPC: 7-15515-01692-6
    SRP: $39.95
    Prebook date: 1/24/06
    Street date: 2/28/06

Viridiana - Banned in Spain and denounced by the Vatican, surrealist genius Luis Buñuel's hilarious vision of life as a beggar's banquet is regarded by many as his masterpiece. Young novice Viridiana does her utmost to maintain her Catholic principles, but her lecherous uncle and a motley assemblage of paupers force her to confront the limits of her idealism. Winner of the Palme d'or at the 1961 Cannes Film Festival, this anticlerical free-for-all is as shocking today as ever.

Cat: VIR040
    Title: Viridiana
    UPC: 0-37429-21262-2
    SRP: $29.95
    Prebook date: 1/24/06
    Street date: 2/28/06

20. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

great to see Kind Hearts getting the Criterion treatment.

Anybody know what extras will be included

[​IMG]