Criterion Wish Listing 2018 (1 Viewer)

Lasermanfan

Agent
Real Name
Tyson
I'd like to see these Criterion Laserdisc releases upgraded to blu ray
The Prince of Tides
Dead Presidents

I read that the scanning of "Sisters" 1973 was done at Criterion for the Region B Arrow Blu Ray. It would be great if Criterion released it here Region A, with all the extras from the Arrow release.
Would love to see Looking for Mr. Goodbar released on blu with extras.

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
These both originally came from Carolco, and are two of the very few really good movies they released that haven't turned up on Blu-ray. There is a non-anamorphic DVD from Europe which I own but it's such a beautiful movie and great adventure that it's a real shame it hasn't come out yet. I've no idea who holds the rights to these two films now.
I use the Film Aficianado website as my source for who controls movies these days. They have Mountains of the Moon and Narrow Margin controlled by Studio Canal/Lionsgate.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I use the Film Aficianado website as my source for who controls movies these days. They have Mountains of the Moon and Narrow Margin controlled by Studio Canal/Lionsgate.

Not good news, but thanks for the info. I'll be dead and buried before these see the light on Blu-ray.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Dawn of the Dead (1978)
Kundun
Raging Bull
Andre Rublev (remaster)
The Gospel According to St. Matthew
Alexander Nevsky
Kafka
Dead Ringers
American Graffiti
Children of Men
Rhapsody in August
Madadayo
That Godzilla Box
The Grand Budapest Hotel (this one's probably a safe guarantee)

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
Not good news, but thanks for the info. I'll be dead and buried before these see the light on Blu-ray.

Nice to see interest in my Blu-ray wants. Being Studio Canal we are more likely to see a Region-B release than Criterion/Region-A. Unfortunately my Seiki Region B player is on its last legs and any reliable low-cost replacement does not appear available presently!

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Looking at the postings since I last chimed in (and again I'm really appreciating Dick coming in - it's like Papa Bear getting control of the room...):

To Lord Dalek:
I think the existing Blu-ray of Raging Bull incorporates the Criterion commentary, although it doesn't have the other materials. I wouldn't mind seeing them generate a Criterion of RB, but something tells me it's unlikely. Not that it's a bad thing devoutly to be wished.

As for American Graffiti, something tells me you want a new 4K transfer of the original version of the movie, without the CGI sunset that's on the version we currently have from Universal. The bonus features on the Universal Blu are quite good, including the PinP commentary with George Lucas.

As for Children of Men, I'd be curious to see if they would do a new transfer there, but I honestly was very happy with the bonus features we had. I'll never turn down a commentary on a Cuaron movie, of course.

Now, for the other poster who included GREED in there, I have to become highly unreasonable again and demand Criterion provide us with the full 8 hour version that I know must be housed in the secret chamber located underneath the MGM vaults. (I believe the next sequel to National Treasure will involve going into that super-secret chamber, which can only be accessed through multiple cypher codes, etc...)

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Totally inexplicable why this hasn't happened yet. Is Streisand holding it up?

I doubt Criterion will ever get involved with Ms. Streisand again. Supposedly, the original pressing of Prince of Tides was pressed and ready to ship from the warehouses when Streisand wanted to re-record her commentary track. Criterion, presumably loathe to absorb the cost of scrapping an entire disc run and pressing another, announced the release had been cancelled. ( It was never announced as 'delayed'.) It eventually appeared months later ( either through threat of lawsuit, or Sony stepped in to compensate Criterion for the first run ).
There are copies of the first pressing with the different commentary that made it into retail, and eventually into collector's hands.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
No love for 1980’s best Picture Winner “Ordinary People”? It’s never had a blu ray release from Paramount and a commentary by Redford and the surviving cast would be amazing

Love here! This and THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH are the two Best Picture winners that Paramount has kept under Blu-ray lock and key. I wish that Kino and/or Olive could strike a better deal with this studio so that they could release upgrades for their major missing titles. Otherwise, nobody benefits. Nobody.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
For me, the standout Criterion update would be of its Eisenstein sound-years box with the two parts of Ivan the Terrible and Alexander Nevsky. These should be very possible as Mosfilm appears to have completed remedial work on the film elements.
With Eisenstein's camera and Prokofiev's music, a BD release of these would be bliss indeed.
And I hope to see a standalone release of Leni Riefenstahl's Olympia.
The wonderful Lubitsch musicals of Jeanette MacDonald and Maurice Chevalier .. and the lone outing of MacDonald and Jack Buchanan, 'Monte Carlo' .. would be great too.
All the above are possible.
But in dreamland, and unlikely to happen, how wonderful if Warners gave Criterion a deal to issue the Fred and Ginger movies!

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
I'm probably dreaming on a lot of what I'd like, but it's a wish list, so here goes:
-more classic film musicals from the late 20s through the 50s
-boxsets/ individual releases:
  • the 3 films with Clark Gable/ Spencer Tracy
  • the 3 Cagney/ Bogarts
  • The Show Boat boxset that Warner promised long ago and hasn't delivered (nor will they, if all catalog titles are coming through WAC)
  • the 3 Judy Garland/ Gene Kelly films
  • the 3 Frank Sinatra/ Gene Kelly films (let's face it, Criterion is more likely to give us better transfers on Anchors Aweigh and On The Town than WAC is)
  • upgrade the Ernst Lubitsch set (and since they have a deal with Warner, maybe even add The Merry Widow)
  • I can probably add a lot of others I'd like to see, like the Astaire/ Rogers films, the Mickey Rooney/ Judy Garland films, the WB-owned Marx Brothers, but the bigger the set, the more expensive it becomes, and therefore, harder for me to buy, even on sale
-Arsenic and Old Lace and/or Bringing Up Baby
-probably some others I'm not currently thinking of, but these should do for a start.

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
I have one big Criterion wish: A Josef von Sternberg/Marlene Dietrich set with all seven films they collaborated on in top-notch Blu-Ray quality. If they can't get rights to The Blue Angel (already available on Blu-Ray from Kino), then the other six would still be fantastic.
You may not have long to wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks