18. Devi
19. A Moment of Innocence
20. Limite
21. Linda Linda Linda
22. Waiting for Happiness
23. The Lineup
24. War and Peace (Bondarchuk)
25. Drowning by Numbers

The only thing I got on this list was Exterminating Angel. None of the others have been released on Region A Blu yet, by Criterion or anyone else (for #2, I do have four Tsai Blu-Rays, three of them imports and none are the ones I wanted the most). I'll replace #5 with Secrets & Lies, which was rumored a couple of years ago but has yet to surface.

BRAD1963

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BRAD
Toughed it out with your list and selected my personal top 5 that I would vote for, as well.
"Song of the South" from Criterion? Yah, I'm for it; but Disney would never release their own product to anyone else.

I tend to agree Disney would never license Song of the South. It would be big revenue for them if they figure out a way to release it without ruffling feathers.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
My list from a year ago, which was the exact same list I posted in 2015:
6. Nights of Cabiria (upgrade)
10. Bergman faith trilogy (upgrade)
24. War and Peace (Bondarchuk)
I was unable to select a personal Top 5 from your list, due only to my lack of familiarity with the majority of titles listed. And that's what's great about our HTF membership; just when you thought you knew almost everything, there's always much more remaining for one to delve into. New frontiers with this list. Thanks.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I limited myself to ten titles, culled from your list with edits.

1. Gosford Park
2. A Matter of Life and Death
3. The Lodger (Hitchcock)
4. The Unbearable Lightness Of Being (upgrade)
5. The Lady Eve (upgrade)
6. Detour (finally)
7. Ruby in Paradise
8. Kind Hearts and Cornets (upgrade)
9. Ball of Fire
10. Pandora's Box (upgrade)

gosford-park-dvd-13788-p.jpg

rubyinparadise-republic1%20(VHSCollector.com)%20.jpg

pulled 2016's list up and removed the released titles, lets see how this plays out this year
, so a lot of carry-overs, left the ones from last year to see the progress

1. The Lodger (Hitchcock)
2. Detour (finally)
3. Utegsu (upgrade)
5. Women In Love

6. A Matter of Life and Death
7. Oliver’s Shakespeare Box Henry V (upgrade),Hamlet (upgrade)
9. The Go-Between

11. The Day After
12. The Lady Eve (upgrade)
13. That Hamilton Woman (upgrade)
14. Berlin Alexanderplatz (upgrade)
15. Closely Watched Trains (upgrade)

16. Howard Hawks Screwball Set, Twentieth Century/ Ball of Fire.
17. Capra's Platinum Blonde
18. Night of the Living Dead
19. Olympiad
20. 3 Silent Classics by Josef von Sternberg (upgrade)

21. Song of the South

some new, some old, and some with transfers well over 14 years old
removed released titles

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
pulled 2016's list up and removed the released titles, lets see how this plays out this year
, so a lot of carry-overs, left the ones from last year to see the progress

1. The Lodger (Hitchcock)
2. Detour (finally)
3. Utegsu (upgrade)
5. Women In Love

6. A Matter of Life and Death
7. Oliver’s Shakespeare Box Henry V (upgrade),Hamlet (upgrade)
9. The Go-Between

11. The Day After
12. The Lady Eve (upgrade)
13. That Hamilton Woman (upgrade)
14. Berlin Alexanderplatz (upgrade)
15. Closely Watched Trains (upgrade)

16. Howard Hawks Screwball Set, Twentieth Century/ Ball of Fire.
17. Capra's Platinum Blonde
18. Night of the Living Dead
19. Olympiad
20. 3 Silent Classics by Josef von Sternberg (upgrade)

21. Song of the South

some new, some old, and some with transfers well over 14 years old
removed released titles

THE LODGER, KIND HEARTS AND CORONETS, and THE GO-BETWEEN are available in Blu from Europe.

I certainly concur with wishing Criterion would upgrade UGETSU, PANDORA'S BOX, THE UNBEARABLE LIGHTNESS OF BEING and THE LADY EVE.

Reactions: PMF

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
You might want to delete that Decalogue too!;)

upgrades:
Magnificent Obsession

Summertime

(agree)

The Fugitive Kind
Written on the Wind

first time:
The Age of Innocence
Raise the Red Lantern

Ju Dou
(Oh, yes, please!)

Cyrano de Bergerac (1990)

Wonderful film and Depardieu performance).

Bertolluci Eastern trilogy: The Last Emperor (new 4k scan in OAR), The Sheltering Sky, Little Buddha
Mediteranneo

Bringing Up Baby

Elements are difficult. A full restoration is probably needed)

Arsenic and Old Lace

Couldn't care less personally, but a lot of members here want it.

Farewell my Concubine
(new 4K scan)
Death in Venice
The Lover
(well, it's been tealed too but I think I can put up with it in this film)
Fresa y Chocolate
Farinelli
The Accidental Tourist
Amadeus
(TC - new 4K scan)
La giornata balorda (uncut)
Il Giovedi
Images (1972)

any other Cary Grant film
a Theo Angelopoulos film or other universally acclaimed pre-1990 Greek film

animation:
Angel's Egg
Gandahar

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Detour-Wade Williams, do I really need to say much more, although I hear he is working on some of "his films" being distributed.

I say, he'd better hurry the hell up or he won't be able to interest anyone in anything he "owns." I think he simply has a pathological need to hold film collectors hostage, which is worth more to him than any financial gain he might acquire by licensing his catalog.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
And then there's my Criterion Wish-List, too. :rolleyes:

4K Scans of:

1900 (Uncut)
Anne of the Thousand Days
The Apartment
Bergman, Ingmar; more of
The Circus
Gigot (dir. Gene Kelly)
It's a Wonderful Life
Julius Caesar (1953)
Let It Be
The Men (dir. Zinnemann)
Midnight Cowboy
The Nights of Cabiria
The Pianist
Ryan's Daughter
Some Like It Hot
Sweet Charity
The Third Man
Under the Volcano

P.S. It's always easier to narrow the list of others down to a tangible top five;
but when it's your own list, well...:unsure:
Anyway, fair's fair; so go ahead and select your own top 5 from my aforementioned list, as well.:)

That's a thoughtful list, and there is not a title in it that I would disagree with. I think we'll get THE CIRCUS this year, maybe MIDNIGHT COWBOY and THE NIGHTS OF CABIRIA (although I think there are legal issues with that). THE THIRD MAN belongs to Studio Canal now. RYAN'S DAUGHTER will likely go to the Warner Archives. THE APARTMENT, THE MEN, SOME LIKE IT HOT and 1900 already have pretty decent domestic Blu-ray releases, although Criterion would likely add to supplements if they take any of those title on. ANNE OF THE THOUSAND DAYS seems an unlikely choice for Criterion, but it is available on Blu in Europe. I am fascinated that you mention GIGOT, which I really like, and which got a shoddy letterbox M.O.D. DVD release two years ago from Fox.

Reactions: PMF

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Dersu Uzala, Andrei Rublev, and Michelangelo Antonioni's The Passenger (1975) would be nice and since this year is The Magnificent Ambersons 75th anniversary and Criterion did release it on laserdisc I hope they can get the rights to it again.

There is a very nice Blu-ray of ANDREI RUBLEV from Artifical Eye in the UK.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover
La Belle Noiseuse
The Scarlet Pimpernel (1935)
The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm

THE COOK.... is available in Europe on Blu.

I am sure Warner Bros. is fully aware of our interest in BROTHERS GRIMM. I just don't know if they will ever be willing to expend the money required to get this up to speed. We'd all love a Smilebox edition such as the studio gave us for HTWWW, but this is not as well-remembered a title, so it might not ever happen.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
War of the Worlds - original
Night of the Living Dead - original
Love from A Stranger (Basil Rathbone)
Fiend Without A Face
Anything from The Bette Davis Collections
Young & Innocent
Sabotage
Human Desire

but honestly anything in my DVD collection getting a Criterion release would always be welcome even something like Tomorrow At Seven, Mothra, The Flesh Eaters,The Mysterians or even the Mr Moto movies :D

How WAR OF THE WORLDS has been passed over for Blu-ray release is one of about 100 mysteries related to very popular Paramount library titles. It doesn't even appear to have been licensed (for Blu) to Warner Bros during the course of that deal. What the hell is holding these corporate idiots up? They can easily make deals that allow boutique companies to license these, and they (Paramount) do little of the work other than raking in the profits. Isn't that sort of a no-brainer?

SABOTAGE and YOUNG AND INNOCENT* have wonderful Blu releases in UK. I think someone is currently working on a 2-or4-k restoration of LIVING DEAD. I would love to see a Blu of FIEND WITHOUT A FACE, but I imagine Criterion has a pretty full plate of more prestigious films to fill their monthly roster.

*But watch out for the new music score slopped onto YOUNG AND INNOCENT. No choices here -- you either grimace through this inappropriate soundtrack or you watch it as a true silent, with sound turned off.

Last edited:

Number 6

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve Hahn
Mishima on Criterion.

What in the world is holding this up? They released a fantastic DVD of this a few years ago, with extensive supplements. They even went so far as digitally retiming the colour in some scenes to aid in the storytelling. So, it would appear, that Criterion have a lot invested in this title. Not to mention it's beautiful! This in blu-ray would be astounding.

I think it's well overdue for a proper release. Heck, they could even add Mishima's short film "Patriotism"--also a nice Criterion DVD release--to make it an 'ultimate edition' of sorts.

It's baffling that this is relegated to DVD at this point.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
That's a thoughtful list, and there is not a title in it that I would disagree with. I think we'll get THE CIRCUS this year, maybe MIDNIGHT COWBOY and THE NIGHTS OF CABIRIA (although I think there are legal issues with that). THE THIRD MAN belongs to Studio Canal now. RYAN'S DAUGHTER will likely go to the Warner Archives. THE APARTMENT, THE MEN, SOME LIKE IT HOT and 1900 already have pretty decent domestic Blu-ray releases, although Criterion would likely add to supplements if they take any of those title on. ANNE OF THE THOUSAND DAYS seems an unlikely choice for Criterion, but it is available on Blu in Europe. I am fascinated that you mention GIGOT, which I really like, and which got a shoddy letterbox M.O.D. DVD release two years ago from Fox.
Throughout my life, I've never heard mention of "Gigot" from a-n-y-o-n-e; and I have yet to stumble upon any mentions of it within our forum, either. The film worked for me and its a tour-de-force performance by Jackie Gleason. I always preferred Gleason when he worked in more serious venues, but here he strikes the perfect balance between the serious and the comedic. The film is all heart and can get one choked up.

Based solely on my memory of a RAH review, it was indicated that "1900" received a dismal transfer; which is why I placed it on the Criterion list for a complete do-over.

Some other Wish-List titles, as you mentioned, are already on Blu; but I feel that "The Apartment" and "Some Like It Hot"; both of which received Oscar nominations for Best Cinematography; has not received its Black and White potential and could be revelatory with the right people handling these two titles.

Curious why you felt that "Anne of the Thousand Days" would be an unlikely choice for Criterion; after all, they've got Richard Burton's "The Spy Who Came In From The Cold".

I agree that "Ryan's Daughter" is an odds on favorite for WAC; but if not, then it cries for the Criterion treatment.

I forgot all about "The Third Man" belonging to Studio Canal (or, perhaps, I wanted to) but is the transfer and the end result as good as Criterion? THAT would be hard to imagine.

Dick, Thanks for taking the time and assessing my list, as I found your take to be informative and well worth the reflection.

Last edited:

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
An Uncut "Burn"? How many minutes are missing from the TT edition?
[EDIT] Oooopps. Scratch that. I almost got that confused with "The Chase".:unsure:

I'd like to see a package of the US and European cuts of BURN! But I don't think there's any English-language version of the latter, a shame, as Brando's accent is integral to his performance.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
This is all dana martin's fault.
Something about this thread is contagious and keeps me digging deeper.
Damn, here's my 2nd Criterion Wish-List for submission:

"The Bad and The Beautiful"
"Crossfire"
"The Good Earth"
"Hud"
"The Informer"
"Johnny Belinda"
"King Solomon's Mines" (1950)
"Romeo & Juliet" (Zeffirelli)
"Roxy Hart"
"Stage Door"
"The Sundowners"
"They Shoot Horses, Don't They?"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks