Criterion Wild Strawberries: Bergman interview = snoozefest

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Haggai, Dec 30, 2003.

1. Haggai

Haggai Producer

I just recently got this disc. I adore the movie, the transfer is very nice, and the Peter Cowie commentary is quite good, so I recommend the disc to anyone who likes the film. However, the 90 minute Swedish TV interview with Bergman from 5 years ago was super dull. There was very little discussion of his films, and it was almost all about his personal life, but in the most vague and platitudinous manner. I didn't feel like I learned much about him at all. All three disc reviews I'd read--one from DVDFile, and two from DVDTalk--praised it as a worthwhile supplement, but I thought it was pretty pointless. Anyone else disappointed by this?

2. MartinTeller

MartinTeller Screenwriter

Sorry, I haven't watched it yet. I wanted to be more familiar with his body of work first. So far I've only seen the Criterion releases, Smiles of a Summer Night, and Scenes from a Marriage (and I loved every single one of them). I'll probably watch the interview after the box set comes out in February.

3. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

I think its a very fine interview and invaluable. I admire Bergman's candor in speaking about his personal life and his disappointments and failures.

The interview with he and Erland Josephson on the Cries and Whispers disc is even better though, probably one of my top 3 DVD "extras"

4. andrew markworthy

Haggai, I presume you haven't read any of his books? The thing about Bergman is that, rather like his movies, you've to work carefully through what he says or writes. The interview does inform you of a lot about his movies, but not necessarily Wild Strawberries.

5. Jeff Kuykendall

Jeff Kuykendall Stunt Coordinator

I didn't know a great deal about Bergman when I watched the interview--I just loved Wild Strawberries and a few others--but I was glad I watched it. It was a very thoughtful, probing interview; no, not a making-of, but intelligent and philosophical, and therefore pretty rare for a DVD supplement!

It is a bit much to take in one sitting, though.

6. Haggai

Haggai Producer

No, I haven't read anything he's written. But I haven't found that I needed to work carefully through the Bergman movies I've seen, like Seventh Seal or Wild Strawberries, in order to get a tremendous experience from watching them. Of course, there are a lot of complex things going on in those movies, and I picked up a lot from the Cowie commentary on Wild Strawberries, for example. I'm certainly not denying that there's a lot going on in Bergman's movies that rewards very in-depth and informed viewings. But I haven't needed that in order to have a great experience just from taking them in, and I hoped for a similar experience with the interview, but it barely revealed anything about him or his work to me.

7. richardWI

richardWI Second Unit

The 90 minute interview revealed to me the extent of Bergman's self importance. I've seen the Pope take less time to formulate an answer. The guy didn't cure cancer, he made depressing movies.

8. Jeff Kuykendall

Jeff Kuykendall Stunt Coordinator

So you have a middling-to-low opinion of Bergman. So why did you sit through a 90 minute interview with him?

If Bergman has a great sense of self-importance, I think he's earned the right to that (and I didn't get that vibe from him at all--quite the opposite). He's one of our greatest living filmmakers.

Aaah, you're right. Criterion should stop it with the voluminous supplements already. [​IMG]

9. JiM T

JiM T Stunt Coordinator

While I'm glad they included it, it was indeed a long hard academic slog to get through. I loved "Wild Strawbeeries", though!

JiM T

10. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

I watched the interview a few weeks ago and found it very interesting.

I don't know what people were expecting.

11. Lars Vermundsberget

Lars Vermundsberget Supporting Actor

I seem to remember that I found it quite interesting.